1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Substrate for Pystalla horrida?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by draconisj4, Jul 9, 2018.

1. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    My 2 nymphs have grown to the point that they are starting to climb out of their small bare with eggcrate container when I go to feed them. They don't like to wait for their food, lol. I want to set them up in a more natural enclosure but I'm not sure what kind of substrate to use. Any suggestions?

2. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

I don't have P. horrida, but I do have a couple of colonies of Platymeris biguttatus and I believe the care is very similar for both species. I have the smaller colony in a large kritter keeper on a mix of coco fiber and small wood chips, and the other is in a large screen-top glass cage with a mix of dirt, peat moss, sphagnum moss, and potting soil. (It was previously set up as a live planted vivarium for geckos. Or maybe frogs. I don't recall exactly, because whatever my husband had in it had died out ages ago and it was just an empty enclosure that I commandeered.) I have a bunch of cork rounds and a few cork slabs in the enclosures for the assassins to climb and hide in/on. They particularly love the cork rounds because it's nice and dark inside them. Really, since they aren't burrowers, the substrate isn't terribly important - just something to hold a little moisture and give them a surface to walk around on occasionally. They spend most of their time up on the cork pieces, though, rather than down on the ground. I also have large canyon isopods in the larger (dirt substrate) tank as a clean-up crew - and extra feeders if the assassins get the munchies between their regular feedings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. draconisj4

draconisj4 Arachnoknight Active Member

They have been doing well dry and I believe they need a moist area to lay eggs when adult though I'm not sure if I have a pair...they won't give me a decent look at their abdomens because they keep turning around to face me every time I try to look as if to say " Are you the food?" They seem to have excellent eyesight. Sounds like I can just mix some odds and ends of different substrates I have laying around for them. Thanks :)

4. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

I keep mine on moss peat kept just damp and allow it to dry out almost then wet it again. They aren't over fussy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Psydeus565

Psydeus565 Arachnopeon

• Like Like x 1