Substrate change

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Hi, all

It has been approximately one month since I purchased lazy ol' Dragon and the organic heat-seeking ballistic missile Scolopendra. As such, I have heard from many a pet store that you should change the substrate, wash out the tank with soap, etc. Now, I know (most) pet stores are unreliable, and I know for myself that I would run the risk of leaving behind traces of soap which would be deadly to my inverts. But, the other part-changing the substrate only-made more sense. But because the PetCo who told me this is the exact same PetCo who doesn't mind crickets running amok in every. single. enclosure. period, and who thinks that Giant Cockroaches dying off during molting is a-ok, I was looking for more knowledgeable brains, I.E. you guys.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As such, I have heard from many a pet store that you should change the substrate, wash out the tank with soap, etc. Now, I know (most) pet stores are unreliable . . . I was looking for more knowledgeable brains, I.E. you guys.
Spot cleaning is adequate. There is no need to change substrate for spiders unless you have a serious mold problem or infestation. (My spiders only get new substrate when I rehouse them.)

basin79

ArachnoGod
Also if your pet needs damp substrate get some springtails. They're invaluable. I have them in all my enclosures that can support them. T.blondi, Pamphobeteus sp, Poecilotheria sp, Scolopendra sp, Tokay gecko, Tiger salamander, vinegaroon...........