Stunted Growth in New World Ts?

Bearded Brian

Arachnopeon
Its all about genetics when you think about it, a quality T against a not so fine specimen mating will always produce a slightly inferior T in such a subtle way.

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Here is my P. cancerides (I think?) that I have been concerned is somehow stunted in growth. I can't remember how long I have had her, but definitely more than 5 years and possibly as long as 8 years.

well, considering that she's not fully extended and showing 5", id assume she's about ~6", while there are some people who have said they can reach over 9"(never actually seen one THAT big. thats like, Blondi big) the ones I've seen have always been between 6-8" at most.
so if she/he is ~6" DLS then thats not out of the ordinary at all.

LiteraryRecluse

Arachnopeon
well, considering that she's not fully extended and showing 5", id assume she's about ~6", while there are some people who have said they can reach over 9"(never actually seen one THAT big. thats like, Blondi big) the ones I've seen have always been between 6-8" at most.
so if she/he is ~6" DLS then thats not out of the ordinary at all.
Hmm…then maybe I don't have a growth issue? The A. geniculata I had earlier referenced (she died about a year ago after more than a decade in my care) was quite a bit larger than my P. cancerides, which is, as you said, roughly 6 inches. My A. geniculata was comparable in size to the P. nigricolor I posted a photo of earlier in the thread. Must have been at least 6-7 inches then? :eek:

I suppose one of the problems I have (besides mostly eyeballing my Ts' size and not actually measuring them… :embarrassed:) is that because I live in such a remote region, I have never actually seen such Ts as a P. nigricolor, A. geniculata, etc. in real life except my own. All I have for comparison is the Internet… :eek:

Jason B

Arachnosquire
Yeah that nigricolor is pushing 6, measuring it to front to back, but when we talk measurements in the hobby regarding size it is often in DLS, diagonal leg span, which if longer then saying measuring it from front to back. Its easier to measure the old molt and go from there terrestrials don't really cooperate that much for measuring. Not like a pokie who will sprawl out on the side of an enclosure allowing for easy measuring. If your a genic was the size as the nigricolor i'd say its size is about average know seller posts an average size, its always can get up to 9 inches, not on average they get between 6-7. If you skim through a site like mikes basic tarantulas you'll see for most species he states alot of the time I hear these are capable of reaching 7 inches but my girl is a relaxed 5 or something to that affect.