Stung by a P. Leiosoma

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I last note about this. As of today, Thursday, the swelling is gone and life is getting back to normal. My blood work and urine test came back clean for whatever he was looking for and it is unfortunate I can't get him on the phone to speak about it. The office only faxes over the results in a dry, to the point format. I took the fellow out and he is quite a mellow scorpion, as leiosoma types tend to be so i treated him like my others and he crawled all over me. It is kind of the "Get back on the horse" scenario. Some my think my handling of the dog that bit me is crazy, but I have handled scorpions for 20 years and feel I know what I am doing.
Best Regards and here are some half-decent pictures of the "villian" scorpion.
Kelly

Attachments

habeas scorpius

Arachnopeon
those are very good pictures, and i like your rings :)
but i'll have to say, the scorpion is magnificent. you should sentence him to life in prison without parole. maybe you can put little bars around the terrarium. you're lucky to have the depth of experience with scorpiones, because i doubt many could identify a random scorpion moments after being stung. except for an A. australis or something.

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess it really was all worth it in the end, eh? ;) That's a great looking scorpion, and you are a brave dude.

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This scorpion actually is one of the mellowest leiosomas I have handled. They aren't to my knowledge a very aggressive type, but this guy doesn't show any signs of stress when I handle him or pick him up. I am not inclined to do it very often at all, perhaps never again. I just had to reduce my apprehensions as not to put myself in jeopardy the next time I HAVE to handle a more dangerous scorpion. With his mellow attitude, I must have really upset or hurt him to get him to sting me so fiercely. Perhaps the lack of food and water had him on edge.
Luckily this can all be tossed in the learning process bucket.
Kelly

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say, get medical help right away. If the press makes a big deal, it will only be because something really bad happened. Get help!

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Considering this happened about 8 days ago, I think he's pretty much in the clear. ;)

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
All is well with this. Healed up pretty much and the scorpion is a very nice example.

PIter

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just can't get this out of my head. You handled a scorpion that stung you four times! Reminds me of Steve Irvin, "crikey I'll put my head in that beauty's mouth!" :D
Crikey
Peter

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PIter said:
I just can't get this out of my head. You handled a scorpion that stung you four times! Reminds me of Steve Irvin, "crikey I'll put my head in that beauty's mouth!" :D
Crikey
Peter
you mean "Irwin"

Fausta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a cyclist I alway get back on the bike when I crash, with this scorpion deal, I felt it was in my best interest to stomp out any fear that may have crept in from the sting by immediately getting to know the scorpion. This also prevents or helps to prevent nervous and unsteady moments later which could cost me. It is a mental thing.
Kelly