Stumped. H. GIGAS

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Yep as i mentioned in my original post i have moved her to my spare bedroom and she only gets contact when feeding.
My apologies, I missed that. Other than that and waiting to see if she settles out, don't think there's much else you can do.

Just thought i'd point out (a little surprised no one else has yet) that keeping specific humidity numbers isn't necessary for Ts and can actually be detrimental in pursuit of chasing those numbers. What's important is the dampness in the substrate, as any moisture they need is attained from that and not the moisture content in the air above them. Humidity may be necessary for amphibians (which will dry out without it) and reptiles (who need it to aid with shedding), but Ts don't need it for either of those things, and when you're trying to hit specific numbers you can inadvertently create a stuffy environment that can harm your T. I'm sure it goes without saying to you that moist enclosures require ample ventilation to keep your T healthy.

Your temps are good, but these too can fall in a wider range - most Ts besides a select few species will do just fine in temps from the mid/upper 60s to the lower/mid 80s in Fahrenheit, with the most notable differences being that Ts kept at cooler temps tend to be less active/voracious and molt less often than Ts kept at the warmer end of the spectrum.

It could just be that your specimen is just particularly defensive, or she just needs more time to settle in. Huge behavioral changes after a molt aren't unheard of, so who knows; maybe she'll be a complete doll after her next molt.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
My apologies, I missed that. Other than that and waiting to see if she settles out, don't think there's much else you can do.

Just thought i'd point out (a little surprised no one else has yet) that keeping specific humidity numbers isn't necessary for Ts and can actually be detrimental in pursuit of chasing those numbers. What's important is the dampness in the substrate, as any moisture they need is attained from that and not the moisture content in the air above them. Humidity may be necessary for amphibians (which will dry out without it) and reptiles (who need it to aid with shedding), but Ts don't need it for either of those things, and when you're trying to hit specific numbers you can inadvertently create a stuffy environment that can harm your T. I'm sure it goes without saying to you that moist enclosures require ample ventilation to keep your T healthy.

Your temps are good, but these too can fall in a wider range - most Ts besides a select few species will do just fine in temps from the mid/upper 60s to the lower/mid 80s in Fahrenheit, with the most notable differences being that Ts kept at cooler temps tend to be less active/voracious and molt less often than Ts kept at the warmer end of the spectrum.

It could just be that your specimen is just particularly defensive, or she just needs more time to settle in. Huge behavioral changes after a molt aren't unheard of, so who knows; maybe she'll be a complete doll after her next molt.
My humidity is at about 55% (Humidity dropped a bit from where i had it as the substrate dried out a bit), it's such an old habit that i try to monitor everything you would think i am a freak if you saw my T room... I have separate measuring tools for all my T's hahahahaha. (I am not crazy i swear).... I have always been obsessed with keeping my T's as close to natural environment as possible, sometimes maybe a bit too much. That being said i do not chase humidity numbers, i do chase temperature tho as i like to keep my T's warmer. I have cross ventilation on the left and right side of the enclosure and because my T room is fairly cosy all the enclosures i build have mesh tops that slide into place. (Enclosures open in the front) Got the idea from 'The Dark Den', it is a youtube channel where i learned how to make enclosures.

Well she is getting fatter than what she was when i got her, so fingers crossed that she will go into pre-molt in the next month or 2. Thanks for the detailed reply, i must say this forum is much better than the one i belonged to. :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Apologies, i do not want to attack a person that is taking time to reply me so please don't see it that way. You mention your enclosure is 8" tall,
Sorry, that was my mistake in the order I put the numbers... the enclosure is 12" tall, the sides are 8" wide. So 8"x8"x12" length/width/depth.

well i made a 7" pre-made burrow for her.
In my experience, pre-making an entire burrow does not always help. Some Ts in the wild DO occupy abandoned burrows made by other creatures, but the majority construct their own.

(If you took the time to read my posts :) )
I read EVERY post on a thread before I reply.

I have had quite a few T's so i am fairly confident with my enclosure is not 'subpar' as you call it.
You could have quite a few Ts and be keeping them all wrong... There's no way for me to know, aside from what you have told us about the H. gigad enclosure.

My temps are 100% correct, my humidity is 100% correct, i have a auto switch to keep the temps at an exact constant on my heating.
Someone else already elaborated on this, but I will as well. Temperatures do not need to be constant, at all. Even wanting to keep your Ts warmer does NOT mean they need to be 83.2° at all times. More importantly, humidity is 100% useless when it comes to tarantulas as they cannot make use of moisture in the air. Tarantulas requiring more moist conditions need it in the substrate where they exist. Measuring humidity at all is pointless and potentially harmful.

Maybe just take the time to read all the posts following my 1st post so you can draw an accurate conclusion instead of just saying conditions are subpar, if they are in some way please let me know where i am lacking??
As I already stated, I read EVERYTHING in a thread before replying. I told you where your conditions are lacking - DEEP, moist substrate. Stop trying to be a control freak over your T. Rehouse it into something that is at least two times as tall as the leg span, fill that something with moist topsoil, use a cork or bark round on the surface and make a SMALL starter burrow inside it... then leave the poor thing alone for at least a week. You keep saying the T is eating so must be fine, etc and maybe she is just an angry specimen... no. Ts are opportunistic predators and aren't going to starve themselves to death in less than ideal conditions unless they become physically unable to eat (such as from dehydration). Just because a T can survive crappy conditions doesn't mean you shouldn't provide any improvements you can to make it possible for the T to thrive.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
As I already stated, I read EVERYTHING in a thread before replying. I told you where your conditions are lacking - DEEP, moist substrate. Stop trying to be a control freak over your T. Rehouse it into something that is at least two times as tall as the leg span, fill that something with moist topsoil, use a cork or bark round on the surface and make a SMALL starter burrow inside it... then leave the poor thing alone for at least a week. You keep saying the T is eating so must be fine, etc and maybe she is just an angry specimen... no. Ts are opportunistic predators and aren't going to starve themselves to death in less than ideal conditions unless they become physically unable to eat (such as from dehydration). Just because a T can survive crappy conditions doesn't mean you shouldn't provide any improvements you can to make it possible for the T to thrive.
So i won't quote your entire post let me just start off with this.. The T has been with me for 3 months, first i made no burrow, 3 weeks or so later i made a starter burrow still she would not have anything to do with it, right now i am at a full 7" burrow because she DOES NOT DIG....The substrate is moist, i use Peat Moss which ime is not a bad substrate for burrowers yet you keep insisting or hinting at my conditions being subpar... You say me having many T's doesn't mean i am keeping them right yet you just assume i am keeping them wrong how pathetic is that.... In your opinion i am keeping my H. gigas all wrong, why because my temp is at a constant good temp? Because i have 9" of substrate in the enclosure? Because she prefers the hide and when i take it out she sit in a corner? Because she has a water dish? Because i use peat moss? Tell me why you are so convinced my T is living in crappy conditions instead of just assuming and doing your utmost to sound morally superior <edit>.

And yes i do measure humidity, not because i am trying to chase humidity numbers as i have said but because i ENJOY the hobby and record ALL my temps, humidity, feedings, molts, age, rehousing intervals (Which before you go on a rant i only do when absolutely necessary not on a timed interval)

If you have something constructive to add please do so, but i am not here to get into and argument with you. And just on a side note you said this 'Rehouse it into something that is at least two times as tall as the leg span' as i said my enclosure is 15" tall so it's more than double the leg span, if you read my post you would know that.

Get off your high horse friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveIDDQD

Arachnosquire
I've not dealt with h.gigas before, so can't offer any solid advice. But whenever I see a photo or video of one, it's definitely a T where I think "that thing has the potential to be an arsehole!". Not sure why TBH...

Good luck with her, hope she calms down for you.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I've not dealt with h.gigas before, so can't offer any solid advice. But whenever I see a photo or video of one, it's definitely a T where I think "that thing has the potential to be an arsehole!". Not sure why TBH...

Good luck with her, hope she calms down for you.
This made me laugh so much :D Thanks

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The T has been with me for 3 months, first i made no burrow, 3 weeks or so later i made a starter burrow still she would not have anything to do with it, right now i am at a full 7" burrow because she DOES NOT DIG..
Each time you mess with her enclosure, you are stressing her out. Three weeks in and she hadn't burrowed, so you messed with the enclosure... and it sounds like you have messed with her enclosure several times since also.

I don't care if you "enjoy" all that nonsense of measuring every available number a gadget can tell you because this isn't about you. This is about a T you got three months ago and haven't left alone for more than two minutes since so she can settle in. My last piece of advice to you, once again, is to leave the poor animal alone.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I don't care if you "enjoy" all that nonsense of measuring every available number a gadget can tell you because this isn't about you. This is about a T you got three months ago and haven't left alone for more than two minutes since so she can settle in. My last piece of advice to you, once again, is to leave the poor animal alone.
Again assuming the worst when you do not have any facts :) Wow....

So i changed her enclosure twice in 3 months based on advice from members, in those 3 months she has eaten 8 times which is the only contact she is getting, there have been times when she goes 2 weeks with no one walking by the enclosure, putting on a light or feeding. I record the measurements of all my T's, she is in a spare bedroom as i MENTIONED to avoid any contact. I read the temperature on the wall unit and the humidity is digitized as with all my T's so i don't even need to be in the room to see it :) Assumption my friend is the mother of all <edit>, you could ask me if i mess with her every 2 minutes instead of just assuming, for a senior member you are pretty lousy at this imo....

Sigh guess this forum is exactly like the old one. A bunch of people thinking they are 'experts' and only come on here to feel a sense of superiority and to prove they are godlike in their knowledge of all things. So knowledgeable that they can assume every aspect of your T care and make it out to be a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
All the explanations… why not post a picture? Personally I don't find any problem with my H. gigas, but my E. murinus took almost 6 months to burrow even with deep starter burrows. It would just put dirt back in and hide under cork bark.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pics could be helpful.

I assume your lividus has a burrow? In that case the substrate is definitely burrow-friendly

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I have had my H.gigas for over a year now. She is in a large sterilite container with 14" of substrate. When she found the starter burrow I made for it she burrowed straight to the bottom over night. All i can recommend is to just leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

Attachments

Solsurfer

Solsurfer
Yes they will dig tunnels like the cartel. Idk if anyone said this yet but the soil needs to be packed pretty tight for them to want to burrow . Or they prefer it anyways.