Stumped. H. GIGAS

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Hey everyone,

Just some background, I have been in the hobby for 9 years, i have owned and sold close to 150 tarantulas. I am however no expert and my newest member to the collection has me stumped.

General T Information

I bought an adult female H. gigas from a pet store in a city close by. I bought the T because it was being kept in horrible conditions. By eye she seems to have a leg span of about 6 inches (15cm), due to behavior i can't measure properly.

Enclosure Information

I have the T in a 20x20x15 inch homemade enclosure (50x50x38cm), substrate is 5 inches (12.7cm). Humidity is at 78% for now with a temperature of 77-79°F (25-26°c). Water dish as per normal with a decent hide. (She uses the hide seldomly)

Problem

The T is very defensive/hostile, not only when feeding but it will viciously attack the enclosure if you walk by. This is very strange since it was kept in a pet store, people would have walked by it constantly. (When walking by at a distance nothing happens, probably eyesight related)

Steps i have implemented

I have had to move this lady to my spare bedroom since i can't feed my other T's or even check on them with her around without her attacking the enclosure constantly. (Striking the glass)

I have made a point of it to keep the room as dark as possible when feeding, seems to help a bit. I am also only checking up on her from a distance at this point.

I would appreciate any feedback on this, I do not believe that this behavior is normal for the species, although they are OW tarantulas this is a bit over the top.

Just for reference if i compare my H. gigas to my C. lividum it makes my C. lividum look like a well trained lap dog.

Please help Arghh

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Do you have any pictures of the enclosure? Does it have a hide or starter burrow? They require deep moist substrate, I would add even more than 5". How long has it been in the enclosure, fossorials can take a while to settle in.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Does it have a hide or starter burrow
Yep as i stated i do have a hide, she has used it from time to time.

They require deep moist substrate, I would add even more than 5"
At the pet store they had about 2" of substrate but the T never burrowed. That is why i included a pre-made hide / burrow where i took it down about 4" and she seems happy with it. (The hide is about 1 1/2 times her body size so she does not struggle to get in but also it isn't too roomy since i know they like tight dark spaces)

How long has it been in the enclosure
It has been about 3 months now, as i said it does feed, it walks around the enclosure very leisurely when no one is around. (Not close enough for her to see) The problem comes in when there is movement outside her enclosure and during feeding.

Last edited:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I also just discovered in my rush to get answers i posted this in the wrong place. :(

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
H. gigas are a species that is known for not only being defensive, e.g., threat poses, etc., but being very willing to boldly stand their ground. Maybe you just have an “alpha spood”. Sounds like your set up is pretty good. Mine just keeps pretty much to itself in the burrow. However, I’m prepared for the day when that disposition will not be presented (rehouse).

Last edited:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Maybe you just have an “alpha spood”.
This is what I also suspected. She is more than happy with the enclosure, she eats like a freak and everything is great in that regard. My problem comes in when she starts hammering the enclosure, I don't mind aggressive T's, I am more concerned with her safety because the velocity she attacks the glass with is worrisome. (I have never had a T do this so i am unsure if she can obtain injuries by doing this?) Just my luck that i save a T from a pet store and she goes psycho on me :D

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
This is what I also suspected. She is more than happy with the enclosure, she eats like a freak and everything is great in that regard. My problem comes in when she starts hammering the enclosure, I don't mind aggressive T's, I am more concerned with her safety because the velocity she attacks the glass with is worrisome. (I have never had a T do this so i am unsure if she can obtain injuries by doing this?) Just my luck that i save a T from a pet store and she goes psycho on me :D
I had a T that used to do that, a B. vagans of all things (yeah right, docile). It would hit the enclosure side and it was audible. I would not be overly concerned with an injury, as tarantulas like any other living creature are not pone to doing things intentionally and/or repeatedly that would injure themselves, except of course for human beings. Makes ya kinda wonder, huh?

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
I had a T that used to do that, a B. vagans of all things (yeah right, docile). It would hit the enclosure side and it was audible. I would not be overly concerned with an injury, as tarantulas like any other living creature are not pone to doing things intentionally and/or repeatedly that would injure themselves, except of course for human beings. Makes ya kinda wonder, huh?
Well i guess that this is my first psycho T in 9 years then. . I will love her nonetheless and hopefully her personality will get better after a molt :D Since my T's are completely different after molts. Thank you for taking the time to give a word of advise, happy keeping :)

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I have never kept H. gigas but you could try taping black construction paper over the glass. It will create a visual/ light barrier and then you can hopefully go about your business with less unwanted attention. Do you have fans on or significant air movement over the enclosure? If so you may want to address that as well.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Not close enough for her to see
Tarantulas have such crap eyesight that you'd have to get within centimetres of her for her to actually see you, their eyes are used mostly to perceive changes in light so you're either casting a shadow over her as you walk by (which would set her off because moving shadows = potential predators) or she's picking up the vibrations from you moving around.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Are you certain it isn't a mature male? Three months seems like a long time to acclimate for even the more stubborn fossorials, but it's definitely not unheard of.

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not normal behavior at all. Has it dug out a burrow for itself? If not, that would be at odds with everything I've ever seen from this species. I've kept these for many years and every specimen I've ever had regardless of sex or size has spent 99% of its time in a deep burrow (and done tons of digging in general). If it just has a regular hide like a NW terrestrial that may be part of the problem... the only threat postures I've ever seen from these guys have been from mature males, they really tend to hide in their holes rather than fight even when being dug out for rehousing. Maybe this specimen is still kind of wigged out from the bad conditions it was kept in at the pet store? I'm assuming it wasn't burrowing in that setup either? Hopefully it settles down. I'd suggest taking something the width of a broomstick and making a starter burrow under the hide all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas have such crap eyesight
I realised they had very bad eyesight, just never realised it was that bad..When i record my feedings or rehousing they seem to react from about 2 hand lengths away, i just never took notice if they were seeing my hand or the change in light..Will definitely do some experiments :)

Has it dug out a burrow for itself?
First of all thank you for taking the time to reply in length. No it has not, the 2" or less substrate it had in the pet store was not sufficient for burrowing. A question would be if a T has not known burrowing for all it's life will instinct kick back in?

If it just has a regular hide like a NW terrestrial that may be part of the problem... the only threat postures I've ever seen from these guys have been from mature males, they really tend to hide in their holes rather than fight even when being dug out for rehousing. Maybe this specimen is still kind of wigged out from the bad conditions it was kept in at the pet store
I did my best digging a burrow for her about 4" deep, i re-did the burrow after a member suggested making it deeper. It is at 7" now and she does use it more frequently now.

Let me ask all of you this since i find conflicting reports on the internet. The problem is obviously not the enclosure or feeding and she is healthy. The problem is human contact or movement. (Shadows being cast on the enclosure)

Question

What is the memory span for tarantulas? Because i truly think that she hates humans. Call me crazy or irrational but i feel so sorry for her that she feels she is constantly in danger when i get close. I have never seen any T behave like this.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I realised they had very bad eyesight, just never realised it was that bad..When i record my feedings or rehousing they seem to react from about 2 hand lengths away, i just never took notice if they were seeing my hand or the change in light..Will definitely do some experiments :)
They mostly rely on their sense of touch, their trichobothria (sensory hairs) are sensitive enough to allow them to detect small vibrations in the air as well as the ground, so they can literally feel you moving.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I think T's can have long term memories of very specific events. I won't go into the whole story, but my S.Kotzman now absolutely hates any metal tweezers or skewers because I accidentally gave her a small cut on the leg with one not long after she molted. 100% a mistake I will never repeat, but that was months ago and the moment you poke the ground with anything metal she hisses and retreats. For a species that I would say is arguably more aggressive than an OBT and that will stand it's ground for anything else, I would say she absolutely remembers that the skewer has hurt her in the past.
That's just personal speculation, but I honestly wouldn't put it past them to be able to remember specific significant events

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My H. gigas has never shown defensive behaviour, but she has never had to... She has always (since slinghood) has DEEP substrate to retreat into.

My adult female is in a 12"x8"x8" tall ExoTerra... I blocked the door off with tape and filled it entirely with substrate minus maybe two inches at the top. I used a bark round as a starter burrow and regularly dump water on to keep the sub moist.

In my opinion, your T is just freaked the heck out by having been kept in subpar conditions, being moved, and being kept in slightly better but still subpar conditions.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree, probably needs a burrow. All the gigas I’ve had have immediately burrowed, using a starter burrow. As soon as the lights are off after a rehouse, they get right to work. By next morning they have a pretty extensive burrow system already. Maybe your substrate is not good for burrow structural integrity?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My female is still a juvenile, but I echo that mine has been a pretty placid specimen that just retreats to her burrow when startled.

If your T is getting that upset/stressed by being in an area that you're walking past on the regular, I'd personally move her somewhere less trafficked until she settles in more proper.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
being moved, and being kept in slightly better but still subpar conditions
Apologies, i do not want to attack a person that is taking time to reply me so please don't see it that way. You mention your enclosure is 8" tall, well i made a 7" pre-made burrow for her. (If you took the time to read my posts :) ) I have had quite a few T's so i am fairly confident with my enclosure is not 'subpar' as you call it. My temps are 100% correct, my humidity is 100% correct, i have a auto switch to keep the temps at an exact constant on my heating. Maybe just take the time to read all the posts following my 1st post so you can draw an accurate conclusion instead of just saying conditions are subpar, if they are in some way please let me know where i am lacking??

Maybe your substrate is not good for burrow structural integrity
I use peat moss for most of my terrestrial T's and i have never had a problem. Can you suggest a better substrate? I never really gave much thought to structural integrity since T's tend to web their burrows to keep everything in place.

If your T is getting that upset/stressed by being in an area that you're walking past on the regular, I'd personally move her somewhere less trafficked until she settles in more proper.
Yep as i mentioned in my original post i have moved her to my spare bedroom and she only gets contact when feeding.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Just on a side note before someone points it out, no i did not make the burrow straight down, no there is not only one, i made 3 starter burrows all at different depths to try and motivate her to burrow. I removed the hide (Big piece of cork bark) but this morning she was cramped in a corner, i placed the hide back into the enclosure and after getting dressed i checked on her and she moved across the enclosure (Past all the burrows) and sat happily under the hide.

I appreciate all the feedback but she is eating, seems happy when not bothered and healthy overall. I think too many members are comparing my situation with their personal T's, you can't really do that since the circumstances are the exact opposite of what you have. I can also say that my H. lividum has never needed to be aggressive but that is besides the point since it has been kept in perfect conditions since sling.

Please remember that this T was in horrible conditions, was super skinny when i bought her and overall mistreated. (Little to no substrate in spots, no water dish, no heating, bone dry so no humidity)

Again thank you for all the replies and constructive advice :) I don't want to sound rude, forums have a way to make a person sound moody :p