Stuff tarantula collectors DON'T say

Paiige

Arachnobaron
"The guy at Petco that sold me my pinktoe was SO SMART! He keeps his in a 20 gallon tank so it has plenty of room to climb around, so cool!"
"I love the smell of crickets!"
"I love when my Ts fast! It means I don't have to waste my time feeding them!"
"Does anyone know where I can buy a Mexican Red Tarantula?"
"I bought this tarantula and it turns out it's a girl, I don't like girls, I wanted a boy so someone can have her for free, just take her"
"Hey bro, wanna check out my Chilean Rosehair communal?"

Paiige

Arachnobaron
At what age will my tarantula be old enough to train?
Oh my god I spit out my coffee reading this.

I've heard if you start training them young, they'll enjoy being handled more and eventually you can train them to just sit on your shoulder.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh my god I spit out my coffee reading this.

I've heard if you start training them young, they'll enjoy being handled more and eventually you can train them to just sit on your shoulder.
You know, when i joined AB, there was actually a member posting that she put her T on her shoulder when she went driving or grocery shopping..too bad I can't find it anymore. She was very defensi e when people told her it was a bad idea. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You know, when i joined AB, there was actually a member posting that she put her T on her shoulder when she went driving or grocery shopping..too bad I can't find it anymore. She was very defensi e when people told her it was a bad idea. :D
I remember that :-s

She was from South Africa if I remember well, ah ah.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
You know, when i joined AB, there was actually a member posting that she put her T on her shoulder when she went driving or grocery shopping..too bad I can't find it anymore. She was very defensive when people told her it was a bad idea. :D
I just did a search for "shoulder" to see if I could find it...no luck but I did find a thread from 2007 called "Silliest advice you've ever gotten from a pet store" and I'm glad I found it, I'm not sure if it's funny or if I should be cringing but it's definitely worth the read :D

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
"Well , I was a little worried at first but the seller assured me that he would ship USPS and that really put me at ease . I mean what could possibly go wrong ?"

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Hey wait I actually do want a centipede.... hahaha
I actually browsed the available ones once myself for curiosity after our recent Centipede versus Tarantula thread. I then saw videos of people handling them and getting the XXXX bit out of their hands.

YOU: Centipede, my hand is not prey. Socialize with my hand Centipede.
CENTIPEDE: Okay.........<short time later> Hmm. That hand looks tasty.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I actually browsed the available ones once myself for curiosity after our recent Centipede versus Tarantula thread. I then saw videos of people handling them and getting the XXXX bit out of their hands.

YOU: Centipede, my hand is not prey. Socialize with my hand Centipede.
CENTIPEDE: Okay.........<short time later> Hmm. That hand looks tasty.

Oh I know better then to handle it. I just am worried about it escaping. I've heard they can be escape artists.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I just did a search for "shoulder" to see if I could find it...no luck but I did find a thread from 2007 called "Silliest advice you've ever gotten from a pet store" and I'm glad I found it, I'm not sure if it's funny or if I should be cringing but it's definitely worth the read :D
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/my-rose-hair-startled.158644/

EDIT* Not quite a trip to the store but there is mention of walking around with T on shoulder.

Last edited:

louise f

Arachnoangel
I really despise all my Tarantulas, ohh my god they are disgusting and they stink !! :eek:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Oh I know better then to handle it. I just am worried about it escaping. I've heard they can be escape artists.
I just thought the handling videos are funny since they appear to bite a lot more than tarantulas.

I know what you mean on the escapes. The website where a guy who is a big expert in the hobby for them lost one of his to escape so it makes you wonder. And then having it in the same room with your T's if it does escape could result in something expensive dead.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I just thought the handling videos are funny since they appear to bite a lot more than tarantulas.

I know what you mean on the escapes. The website where a guy who is a big expert in the hobby for them lost one of his to escape so it makes you wonder. And then having it in the same room with your T's if it does escape could result in something expensive dead.

Lucky for me I don't own anything expensive (not that I think an expensive Ts life is more valuable than any other life but lets not go down that path) I'd be more worried about an escape hurting my dog or one of my house mates. This is why I'm so careful about the size of the air holes for my Ts because while a G pulchripes sling escaping wouldnt hurt my dog, when I start keeping hotter sp I'd rather my dog not get bit by say a P murinus or a H lividum ect ect.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Lucky for me I don't own anything expensive (not that I think an expensive Ts life is more valuable than any other life but lets not go down that path) I'd be more worried about an escape hurting my dog or one of my house mates. This is why I'm so careful about the size of the air holes for my Ts because while a G pulchripes sling escaping wouldnt hurt my dog, when I start keeping hotter sp I'd rather my dog not get bit by say a P murinus or a H lividum ect ect.
I used the wrong word. I actually meant that tarantula that you bought as a sling and have patiently watched grow into an adult for a couple years. And now it is suddenly gone. That tarantula is always the most expensive one on a personal level.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
I used the wrong word. I actually meant that tarantula that you bought as a sling and have patiently watched grow into an adult for a couple years. And now it is suddenly gone. That tarantula is always the most expensive one on a personal level.

I havent been keeping anywhere near long enough to know the attatchment, and all but 1 of my Ts are slings/juvi but I understand what you're saying.