Stromatopelma calceatum pairing video

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Quite true, and the Pamphobeteus sp. platyomma aka the Brazilian Pink Bloom is one of the few examples where the MM is often much more brilliant in color than the female. Funny how only a few species turned out that way.
arent the males of the Xenesthis genus the colorful ones as well?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
arent the males of the Xenesthis genus the colorful ones as well?
Yes, if I recall correctly. But across all known T species, the females are typically more brilliantly colored as you know. Why only some males are more brilliant (let alone any at all) than females will remain a mystery.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Yes, if I recall correctly. But across all known T species, the females are typically more brilliantly colored as you know. Why only some males are more brilliant (let alone any at all) than females will remain a mystery.
It's a fascinating and beautiful world we live in

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Update:
Pairing #1 (featured in video) was successful.

Pairing #2 about 2 weeks later was unsuccessful. Male eager but no response from female. I'm taking this as a good sign that she may be becoming gravid

Pairing #3 is right now. But when fishing the male out, for a third time he decided that he'd rather not go into the females, but rather JUMP avic style onto me and run up my arm into my shirt AGAIN. That's 3 pairings with 3 times the male has decided I was his favorite tree. That's about a 1000x times more contact I want with S calc so I had to get him off and then chase him around the room for 20 minutes to finally get him in a catch cup. The whole catch cup with him went into the females enclosure and that's how it's staying until they are finished or I take him out. This will be the very last attempt because I'm simply pressing my luck with getting bit by this male. So right now they are having some unsupervised alone time while I go downstairs and grab food and a beer and wait for the adrenaline to dye down.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Update:
Pairing #1 (featured in video) was successful.

Pairing #2 about 2 weeks later was unsuccessful. Male eager but no response from female. I'm taking this as a good sign that she may be becoming gravid

Pairing #3 is right now. But when fishing the male out, for a third time he decided that he'd rather not go into the females, but rather JUMP avic style onto me and run up my arm into my shirt AGAIN. That's 3 pairings with 3 times the male has decided I was his favorite tree. That's about a 1000x times more contact I want with S calc so I had to get him off and then chase him around the room for 20 minutes to finally get him in a catch cup. The whole catch cup with him went into the females enclosure and that's how it's staying until they are finished or I take him out. This will be the very last attempt because I'm simply pressing my luck with getting bit by this male. So right now they are having some unsupervised alone time while I go downstairs and grab food and a beer and wait for the adrenaline to dye down.
The poor guy is so scared of what he has to do that he runs to hide out in your shirt!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I have no experience whatsoever with pairing/breeding, or with S.calceatum, but why put the male again with the female if first attempt was successful? At each attempt either you or the spider is at risk of getting bitten, which with this species doesn't seem like a walk in the park :eek:

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
oh jesus I got a 4'' female S. calceatum yesterday, you're saying my female will act like this? She's so chill, went straight to her new home and just went "leave me alone so I can plan ways to kill you"

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
oh jesus I got a 4'' female S. calceatum yesterday, you're saying my female will act like this? She's so chill, went straight to her new home and just went "leave me alone so I can plan ways to kill you"
Nah, it is just his male that is a scaredy cat :p

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Just like with any species, when they are hidden and comfortable they juat get defensive, but once you take them away from that security they freak the hell out, this species is just very very fast so when they freak out there is no telling where they will end up.

And to the other person who asked, I paired them multiple times because the first time I had not yet personally witnessed him making a sperm web, since then I've confirmed that he has. And since there is no telling how long he will last it's a race against the clock to get a good pairing while he's charged that will take. I can't exactly afford to wait 3 months to see if she drops a sac to see if the insertion took, because by that point he will likely be on his way out and too weak to get another good pairing. So the multiple pairings are to ensure that she actually becomes gravid while the male is capable of taking her on.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Welp, looks like they are going to have to go at it at least one more time. IMG_20161017_111343835.jpg
She molted unexpectedly, so I'm gonna take the next two weeks to fatten her up and let the male relax and take another shot at them in november

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Welp, looks like they are going to have to go at it at least one more time. View attachment 222726
She molted unexpectedly, so I'm gonna take the next two weeks to fatten her up and let the male relax and take another shot at them in november
Poor you. Better try it without a shirt.
(You could do the video without shirt? :D)