stripe knee and curly hair at pet store

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Ive done alot of reading and even looked inside a tarantula book but i cant quite figure out if my room temps or how to set up a enclosure for theese two tarantulas would be if i bought them. They are around 2 inches each are and are hiding in pet depot they dont look sickly as of now. But my room temps are 68 to 73 degrees would that be appropiate for theese 2 t's. Also are both terrestrial? The names they have on them are zebra knee and a curly hair....though i know those are not the real or right names and i cant get a picture right now since i do not own them yet. What is the best substate i have cocoa fiber stuff thats ground up like dirt. And also my enclosures i would put them in is just a medium plastic tank and a exxo terra tall wide tank with the front open doors. Im afraid if the t's are in fact terrestrial they wouldn't be able to make good use of the exxo terra tank

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Curly hair would be a B. albopilosum if they identified it right. They are terrestial, but a sling would probably burrow to an extent, keep it on slightly moist substrate throughout its lifespan. Your room temperature is fine for almost every species of tarantula. As for substrate, I use coco fiber but some plenty of people here use topsoil. If you go that route remember that you want the ultra cheap stuff, the stuff that's marketed to be used for filling holes. That's the stuff that won't have fertilizer or any of that other nasty stuff added.

I'm assuming stripe knee is referring to A. seemani, so I'll give you advice for that species but there are dozens of tarantulas with striped knees so we need a picture for a proper ID. This is a fossorial species, the classic pet hole. You want to give it deep substrate all throughout its life, 8 or 9 inches for an adult if possible. They need moist substrate and once again room temperature is fine.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
But my room temps are 68 to 73 degrees would that be appropiate for theese 2 t's
Those temps are perfectly fine. No additional heat is needed. Especially not from heat mats (just in case the pet store tries to tell you that you need one)

Also are both terrestrial?
Depending on what the "zebra knee/stripe knee" is, it's probably a fossorial species, meaning it needs a lot of substrate to burrow. The curly hair is terrestrial.

The names they have on them are zebra knee and a curly hair....though i know those are not the real or right names
Zebra knee/Stripe knee = probably Aphonopelma seemani, but lots of Ts go by that common name so pics are necessary.

Curly hair = Brachypelma albopilosum

cant get a picture right now since i do not own them yet
Sure you can. ;) I've taken lots of pictures of Ts at pet stores, whether I ended up buying them or not. They never set them up right, so it's not like the T is completely unable to be viewed.

how to set up a enclosure for theese two tarantulas would be if i bought them.
An enclosure with lots of fine coco fiber or plain top soil (just not sand, wood chips, gravel, or any of the other garbage most pet stores put Ts on), substrate needs to ensure that there's no more than 1.5x the spider's legspan of space between the substrate and the top of the enclosure (so a 2 inch spider should have no more than 3 inches of space), a water bowl with plain water (no sponge, no paper towels, no water crystals), a hide, and plenty of ventilation but try to avoid screen or mesh.

Both these species prefer some moisture in their substrate, so you'll want to pour some water directly into the substrate every so often so that one side of the enclosure has moist substrate. You can then let it dry out over time and repeat the process.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
zebra knee and a curly hair.
The first is possibly Aphonopelma seemanni but "zebra knee" and variants of that can apply to a few species though, the second is Brachypelma albopilosum.

But my room temps are 68 to 73 degrees would that be appropiate for theese 2 t's
Yeah, anything above 65°F is fine.

Also are both terrestrial?
A. seemanni verges more on the fossorial side of terrestrial so deep substrate for that. B. albopilosum is more your typical terrestrial.

What is the best substate i have cocoa fiber stuff thats ground up like dirt.
I prefer topsoil mixed with sedge peat and fine vermiculite but coco fibre will do.

And also my enclosures i would put them in is just a medium plastic tank and a exxo terra tall wide tank with the front open doors. Im afraid if the t's are in fact terrestrial they wouldn't be able to make good use of the exxo terra tank
Small exo terra faunarium PT-2255 (the size up from the mini) or equivalent will be fine.

how to set up a enclosure for theese two tarantulas
If the zebra knee is actually A. seemanni then you want deep/slightly moist sub for burrowing with a hide and water dish.
The B. albopilosum needs slightly moist sub (enough to burrow if it chooses), a hide and water dish.

Think you said both are about 2" so you're going to need to fill the enclosures so that there's only a 3" gap between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure to prevent fall injuries.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Thank you guys so much for the input ok so i bought both. Ill send better pictures of the enclosures in aboit 45 minutes to an hour. But here are the spiders. I have the striped leg in a freshly moist substrate of coco because it was the compressed bricks so i added water to break it apart... and a hollow log for a hide and a water bowl with like 6 to 8 inches to burrow im guessing because i havnt quite got home for the night yet but the temparature at the pet store in the striped legs enclosure was 85 degrees. With 30% humidity so i felt like it was for sure going to cook if i didnt save it and forthe curly hair or Brachypelma albopilosum but dont quote me because i havnt had time to do.as much research as you guys but im trying. I love it so far ive become addicted on only a month lol. But i have that specimen in a exxo terra wide with alot of substrate on one side with a hole poked in case it decides to burrow. Some plastic plant on the wall and a waterbowl in the low substrate side. And a big hollow log in case it chooses not to burrow

Attachments

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Wrong info, it is in fact an A. seemani, I apologize.

Last edited:

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Ok thank you for the info dry for zebra knee moist for Brachypelma albopilosum

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Ill have to work on drying some out as i have it all moist now hahah dang

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you guys so much for the input ok so i bought both. Ill send better pictures of the enclosures in aboit 45 minutes to an hour. But here are the spiders. I have the striped leg in a freshly moist substrate of coco because it was the compressed bricks so i added water to break it apart... and a hollow log for a hide and a water bowl with like 6 to 8 inches to burrow im guessing because i havnt quite got home for the night yet but the temparature at the pet store in the striped legs enclosure was 85 degrees. With 30% humidity so i felt like it was for sure going to cook if i didnt save it and forthe curly hair or Brachypelma albopilosum but dont quote me because i havnt had time to do.as much research as you guys but im trying. I love it so far ive become addicted on only a month lol. But i have that specimen in a exxo terra wide with alot of substrate on one side with a hole poked in case it decides to burrow. Some plastic plant on the wall and a waterbowl in the low substrate side. And a big hollow log in case it chooses not to burrow
That's a Grammastola pulchripes not a A. seemani that has the 'zebra knee' common name. G. pulchripes come from a 'dry' environment so I'd give it dry sub. Don't worry about the humidity percentage, just make sure the water dish is full and for the B. albopilosum, make sure the sub is moist.
It looks like an A. seemani to me. I think I see the orange/tan underside that's characteristic of A. seemani and in the most recent pictures, I see tan spinnerets. @spacelord, if you could post clearer photos of the stripe knee, particularly where the underside and/or spinnerets are visible, that would clear things up real quick

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
It looks like an A. seemani to me. I think I see the orange/tan underside that's characteristic of A. seemani and in the most recent pictures, I see tan spinnerets. @spacelord, if you could post clearer photos of the stripe knee, particularly where the underside and/or spinnerets are visible, that would clear things up real quick
You're right, I was 100% wrong. In the first photo he posted I saw the gold knee on my phone and assumed it was G. pulchripes. I apologize for the wrong info, your set up is completely correct.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
So both set ups look completely correct? And this is the a. Seemani? . . . the Brachypelma albopilosum is tucked away already so i cant quite get more pictures of it. I hope the moist substrate dries out fine. It seemed best for a burrower to me to keep the dirt from falling it letting it dry that way

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
You're right, I was 100% wrong. In the first photo he posted I saw the gold knee on my phone and assumed it was G. pulchripes. I apologize for the wrong info, your set up is completely correct.
It's all good, we all make mistakes. :) A. seemani have much more distinct stripes like that when their colors are still fresh after a molt. My girl was stunning after she molted, she didn't even look like the same spider

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So both set ups look completely correct? And this is the a. Seemani? . . . the Brachypelma albopilosum is tucked away already so i cant quite get more pictures of it. I hope the moist substrate dries out fine. It seemed best for a burrower to me to keep the dirt from falling it letting it dry that way
Yep, it's A. seemani , for some reason I forgot about the normal color form of A seemani. Moist sub is fine for them!

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Yup, definitely an A. seemani. Looks like it's molted recently too. The setups look just fine to me

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Yep, it's A. seemani , for some reason I forgot about the normal color form of A seemani. Moist sub is fine for them!
Awesome gosh you guys are so awesome. Theese 2 t's are way more hardy than the tiny pink to that i had last week that didnt make it as my first try. Hopefully theese two will last for a long time as i really love this hobby so far and want to do all i can to be as awesome as you guys

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
A. seemani or G. pulchripes still similar care, I was thinking G. pulchripes too.

Awesome spiders either way!

spacelord

Arachnosquire
Yup, definitely an A. seemani. Looks like it's molted recently too. The setups look just fine to me
Sweet thanks. It seems like its what i see on all the feeding youtube videos so thats what i kind of followed with the a seemani. The brachypelma albopilosum i just kind of winged it but it seems logical enough for a spider its got 3 good hides for that specimen. And super easynaccess to the water bowl in the lowest point of that enclosure.

spacelord

Arachnosquire
This is the Brachypelma albopilosum? Whats the common name? The pet store called it curly hair lmao its really pretty though and you can tell the substrate is high there near the top of the exxo tank so he has like 9 inches he could burrow or just hide in the big hollow log i have dirt on top of but made sure both sides were open and poked another hole bestween the wall decoration of wood

Attachments