Stripe Bark Scorpion Setup

Zeez

Arachnopeon
ill be picking up 2 stripe bark scorpions soon, and had a few questions about their setup; google guides are pretty vague.

What is the best substrate?
Do thy need things to climb, or just some hides?

I plan on keeping them in a 10 gallon. I have a ceramic heat emitter to keep them warm in the winter, but some guides say this isn't necessary. Thoughts?

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Sand/EcoEarth substrate. Depth not important as they are climbers and spend a lot of time vertical. Cork and wood with some pieces completely vertical and some cracks and crevices to hide.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
ill be picking up 2 stripe bark scorpions soon, and had a few questions about their setup; google guides are pretty vague.

What is the best substrate?
Do thy need things to climb, or just some hides?

I plan on keeping them in a 10 gallon. I have a ceramic heat emitter to keep them warm in the winter, but some guides say this isn't necessary. Thoughts?
Are you referring to Centruroides vittatus ? All Centruroides spp. require vertically oriented bark to hide and molt in properly. A ten gallon Enclosure is pretty large, you could even house a few more in there at some point. Give them several pieces of bark horizonal and vertical to climb around.

Zeez

Arachnopeon
Are you referring to Centruroides vittatus ? All Centruroides spp. require vertically oriented bark to hide and molt in properly. A ten gallon Enclosure is pretty large, you could even house a few more in there at some point. Give them several pieces of bark horizonal and vertical to climb around.
Yes, here is a picture of it.

Any opinions on sex?

I have it on ecoearth and a few pieces of bark setup. It wiggles into the crevices during the day.

Attachments

Zeez

Arachnopeon
That's what I was thinking to since the segments of her tail seem shorter. She's kind of chubby too. She is the only one. I thought I was getting 2, but my coworker had only caught 1. I live in northeast Texas yet I can't find these, but everyone else I know seems to see them all the time. I opted to put her in a smaller enclosure and reserve the 10 gallon until I can acquire some more and do a community setup. I can't find a lot of info on the care of them, but I'm thinking that's mostly because these are considered pests more than pets around here.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
True, most people do consider them pests here in Oklahoma as well. I think it would be fun to hunt for some but not really sure where to start looking either. Most people I know who have caught them had found them in or around their house, usually out the country.

Last edited:

Zeez

Arachnopeon
True, most people definitely do consider them pests here in Oklahoma as well. I think it would be fun to hunt for some but not really sure where to start looking either. Most people I know who have caught them had found them in or around their house, usually out the country.
That's how I acquired this one. I live close to the Oklahoma/Arkansas border. My friend in Arkansas found this one in his house. We have plenty of wooded land and we find all kinds of snakes constantly, but no scorps.

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Nice, yeah hopefully you find some more. :alien I think a communal setup would definitely be sweet with these scorps. But I'd do about an inch of whatever dirt substrate you choose and add small rocks (all scorps love hiding under rocks) and even sprinkle some gravel around in there. Add the cork bark hides and vertical bark as mentioned above. Temps between 70-85, just like the temps around here usually are. I read they do well with a bit of humidity as well so some misting occasionally would be good. Keep a shallow water dish available and feed every 7-10 days. :alien