Stridulation Sound !!!!!

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello everyone !!!

Although I have around 50 Ts, around 30 scorpions and a litle more than a 1 year in this hobby, I have never heard an STRIDULATION SOUND!!! the Questions are:

1.- Anyone had recorded an STRIDULATION SOUND ?
2.- I have heard that pandinus Imperators do stridulations sounds too?
3.- Which Ts do stridulations sound more often ?
any sperience as when they do that ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi.
My imperators knocking whit scisors and it make that sound.
This genuses can stridulate: Theraphosa, Pterinochilus, my P. cubesis. I know only these:8o
They make this sound whit strong, thick hair on chericera and pedipalpus. These two segment rub other.

MatthewC

Arachnopeon
Sridation

I have a great horned baboon that does this if i touch her, it sounds really odd kinda like checking the air pressure on a tire lol..

Tis better to have em hiss than bite!!!;P

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had my C.crawshayi stridulate. It was loud and lasted for 8 minutes. This is the only one that I have heard, no recordings.

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My P. irminia male hissed at me the other night. Shocked the heck out of me, too. I didn't know he could do that!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i really want a T that can stridulate, esp the C.crawshayi, that is going to be my next T!!!

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Among most of the old world terrestrials, C. crawashayi is probably the most impressive. T. blondi stridulate all the time as well, it's more of an audible hiss, or rubbing sound when ever they move.

Marcelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a lot for reply me

I do not know if there is any diference between stridulations and hissing sound as you said, but I use to breed and raise chams, and my chameleon Rommel, sometimes hissed at me, the sound was kind of scary and defiant, something like: hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssss with his mouth ( muzzle ) wide open. I do not know how is named mouth or muzzle or whatever.

Thanks again for post the sound. I imagine the sound is louder in real life.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heyjeyniceid said:
Ive witnissed a Poecilotheria stridulate. I forget the species.
Were you able to actually hear it? If so, what did it sound like? I've seen my P. regalis stridulating but have never been able to hear her even when I'm relatively close.

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My P.chordatus, P.murinus, and B.boehmei stridulate. But the B.boehmei is by far the loudest, even stridulating when the lid is opened and prey is offered.

Runaway987

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Before my H.Spinifer scorp killed itself it stridulated at me once or twice when I was moving it into its new home - a very distinctive hiss.

My blondi has hissed at me once and sounded less like a "hiss" and more like erm.. a low volume version of water being dropped on an electric oven hob etc more like "Tissssss..."

Midnightcowboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Runaway987 said:
Before my H.Spinifer scorp killed itself it stridulated at me once or twice when I was moving it into its new home
How did your H Spinifer kill itself? :confused: I'm intrigued...

My P. Imperator stridulates ALL THE TIME, the slightest vibration and she starts. I had a juvie P. Chordatus that hissed at me when I picked up the enclosure. It was in short sharp crackly bursts, and sounded pretty eerie!

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David_F said:
Were you able to actually hear it? If so, what did it sound like? I've seen my P. regalis stridulating but have never been able to hear her even when I'm relatively close.
It was a male p. rufilata. It sounded thinner/weaker compared to a P. murinus.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have like 5 T's that can make that sound and I think it is very neat.But keep in mind that to get them to make that sound means that you are causing stress on them and as everyone knows that is not good for them.

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've had an Opistophthalmus glabrifrons (Red Cap scorpion) striduate at me. It was the creepist sound I've ever heard. I wish I'd been able to record it. I haven't had it striduate at me since (first time was when I had just placed it in it's new home).

Stefan-V

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Not only arachnids

Once I picked up a big black ant (about 1/2 inch long) and it made a strange skeeking sound, as if I was pressing the air out of it. It kinda sounds like when you rub 2 ballons together, just the tone is much higher and slower. Was that stridulation or just a fart?:confused:

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a B.boehmei that stridulates. She was pretty small when she started, and at first I couldn't figure out what that sound was every time I opened her keeper. I just didn't expect it. She's a psycho spider and the one I trust the least.