Strictly nocturnal snake

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Can someone suggest a snake that is extremely nocturnal? Preferably one that is commonly kept in captivity -- though it is crucial that it be almost exclusively nocturnal in its habits.

Cheers,
Dave

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Eyelash vipers (Bothriechis [Bothrops] schlegeli) are totally noctournal to the best of my knowlege. I've heard second and third hand that during the day they go practically dormant and fail to respond to prodding (as opposed to being feisty striky feeding machines at night)

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Of all the snakes I've had in the past, Boiga dendrophilia was the only one I had, that wouldn't do squat with the lights on. I would put a live rat pup into her enclosure and she wouldn't go after it until the lights were out. As soon as the lights went out (I'm talking seconds), she'd slither down out of her perch and feast.
I can't recall anything else I had in the past that were as strictly nocturnal as this snake. Everything else would, at least, eat when offered. That included my chondros, womas, even my sidewinders.
Keep in mind that Boiga dendrophilia are opistoglyphs. This particular specimen put a hurtin' on a friend.
Mangrove snakes make a great display species!
john

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
John,

Yeah, a friend of mine had a Boiga back in the day and I would have to agree that they behaved exactly as you stated.

Cheers,
Dave

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Morelia viridis, Corallus hortulanus, and Corallus caninus that I've kept have always been most active at night. They would wake up from time to time in the day but most of their activities were done at dusk or night. These would include shedding and cruising their enclosures. The three chondros I have now are only fed at night (keeps them from taking off my hand when I have to service their cage in the day :)). My female is the only one who will accept food during the daytime (everyone has their own personality. she is the most sggressive feeder of the three). I only see them moving around a lot at night when I'm here typing on my pc. Out of curiosity Dave, why are you looking for a nocturnal snake.
Mike

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks for the tips, Mike. I'll PM you regarding my motivation.

Cheers,
Dave