Stressed out greenbottle spiderling

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
I've checked out a few threads on this and just want to make sure my thought process is okay here. I got a 3/4" greenbottle spiderling from Jamie's tarantulas yesterday. It came with one of her juvenile terrestrial enclosures which I believe is 4x4x8", which seemed super large for such a wee spider. I included a water bowl, two pieces of cork, and several leaves for it to hang out on.

Anyhow I set up the enclosure and got the little guy in there with little problem. It scurried up a leaf and sort of hung out there for a while, waving its arms around in the air.

This morning I found it clinging to a branch with its legs tucked underneath it. At first I thought it was dead so I nudged the branch it was on a little bit and it snapped at me, so it's definitely still alive (and yeah I know I shouldn't have done that).

Anyhow it's clearly stressed out - is it just a matter of time with this one or is there anything I can do to help with the stress? Does it need a smaller enclosure? This is only my second T and my first spiderling (C. versicolor) was pretty frisky from the get go, so this is different for me.

Thank you!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
It will take a while for him to settle in. Not only us your T in a new enclosure, it also went through travel. Just give it time.

GBBs do pretty alright with enclosures on the larger side and lots of anchor points. He will start webbing up the place. I also keep the substrate at a lower level than I would with other terrestrial. Keep it dry with a full water dish.

I got 2 GBBs around the same size in November. They are quite lovely- great appetites, cool webbing and such lovely colors.

Congrats on your new T! I have yet to see someone on here say they don't enjoy a good old shiny GBB.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I've checked out a few threads on this and just want to make sure my thought process is okay here. I got a 3/4" greenbottle spiderling from Jamie's tarantulas yesterday. It came with one of her juvenile terrestrial enclosures which I believe is 4x4x8", which seemed super large for such a wee spider. I included a water bowl, two pieces of cork, and several leaves for it to hang out on.

Anyhow I set up the enclosure and got the little guy in there with little problem. It scurried up a leaf and sort of hung out there for a while, waving its arms around in the air.

This morning I found it clinging to a branch with its legs tucked underneath it. At first I thought it was dead so I nudged the branch it was on a little bit and it snapped at me, so it's definitely still alive (and yeah I know I shouldn't have done that).

Anyhow it's clearly stressed out - is it just a matter of time with this one or is there anything I can do to help with the stress? Does it need a smaller enclosure? This is only my second T and my first spiderling (C. versicolor) was pretty frisky from the get go, so this is different for me.

Thank you!
Probably just getting settled in. Enclosure does sound awfully large for a 3/4" sling.

Share some pics of your spider and the full setup if you can. Either way, it will take some time for it to acclimate to the new environment.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
@floraborabora

The enclosure is not too big as GBBs like extra room. However as they are skittish they will make use of cover and hides. They also like the substrate on the dryer side even as slings. But, they'll climb around like they're arboreals often. Just make sure the substrate is deep enough that they only have a couple of legspans to drop if they do.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
This is my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, took it about four days after rehousing.

35AC0EF6-A7D4-4BD3-B4C7-72EC54A6C49E.jpeg

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
As others have said, just give it some time to settle in. And don’t worry about the habitat size. I got a 3/4” GBB in October and it’s already 1-3/4” after two molts, plus as people have said the GBB’s do fine in a bigger enclosure.

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
@floraborabora

The enclosure is not too big as GBBs like extra room. However as they are skittish they will make use of cover and hides. They also like the substrate on the dryer side even as slings. But, they'll climb around like they're arboreals often. Just make sure the substrate is deep enough that they only have a couple of legspans to drop if they do.
Hmm... that could be part of the issue, it definitely has a couple of inches to drop if it does. But I made sure there were plenty of avenues for it to take to climb down to the substrate.

This is my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, took it about four days after rehousing.
That picture is HILARIOUS.

As others have said, just give it some time to settle in. And don’t worry about the habitat size. I got a 3/4” GBB in October and it’s already 1-3/4” after two molts, plus as people have said the GBB’s do fine in a bigger enclosure.
Okay... I'll leave the little critter alone for now. I suppose I was just expecting it to be like my versicolor (who is just a joy by the way), but I suppose all Ts will be different.

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
It will take a while for him to settle in. Not only us your T in a new enclosure, it also went through travel. Just give it time.

GBBs do pretty alright with enclosures on the larger side and lots of anchor points. He will start webbing up the place. I also keep the substrate at a lower level than I would with other terrestrial. Keep it dry with a full water dish.

I got 2 GBBs around the same size in November. They are quite lovely- great appetites, cool webbing and such lovely colors.

Congrats on your new T! I have yet to see someone on here say they don't enjoy a good old shiny GBB.
Thank you! I certainly liked how snappy he was when I unpackaged him, which I guess is why I was so surprised to find him all curled up and stressed this morning. But time will tell.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
First Caribena versicolor, then Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for second, you sure love webbing tarantulas!

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
First Caribena versicolor, then Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens for second, you sure love webbing tarantulas!
Oh let's be honest, I just like the bright shiny ones. Honestly, I've had my versicolor for what... maybe 2 weeks? It's only webbed a tiny bit. But it's super active and when I talk to it it skitters on over in my direction so clearly it loves me. :happy:

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Oh let's be honest, I just like the bright shiny ones. Honestly, I've had my versicolor for what... maybe 2 weeks? It's only webbed a tiny bit. But it's super active and when I talk to it it skitters on over in my direction so clearly it loves me. :happy:
That’s funny you say that. My Versicolor did a very impressive web lair, but since then it’s basically been a pet rock. My GBB on the other hand seems to be much more active.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
As usual, I'm a bit late to the party... My GBB was pretty reclusive at first as well. She would even kick setae at me for breathing near her enclosure. That was about a year ago though and she is doing fine. Nice growth and web set up. She is almost always visible now.
Like others said, give it time and yours will have the beginning of a nice looking web too.

floraborabora

Arachnopeon
That’s funny you say that. My Versicolor did a very impressive web lair, but since then it’s basically been a pet rock. My GBB on the other hand seems to be much more active.
Oh man Nemesis doesn't quite seem to understand her web - I watch her struggle to make her way through it. I think I'm going to redo her enclosure this weekend, I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't enough anchor points for her. But yes, she's pretty active - I'll greet her in the morning (I'm weird) and she'll scuttle on over in my direction.

As usual, I'm a bit late to the party... My GBB was pretty reclusive at first as well. She would even kick setae at me for breathing near her enclosure. That was about a year ago though and she is doing fine. Nice growth and web set up. She is almost always visible now.
Like others said, give it time and yours will have the beginning of a nice looking web too.
Good to hear! When I got home from work tonight the little guy didn't look so freaked out, much more relaxed. Hasn't moved at all but at least no longer curled up. Phew!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
My GBB was pretty reclusive at first as well. She would even kick setae at me for breathing near her enclosure.
Wah, that never happened to my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens. That would’ve been quite a scene.