Strange Xenesthis webbing

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I’ve had this Xenesthis intermedia for about 7 years, never seen her do any significant webbing. Then suddenly this fairly extensive web appears in the corner. Very strange. She was not paired or anything. Anyone else ever see a Xenesthis do something like this?
IMG_3425.jpeg

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
might have decided she was ready and put some pheromone-laden silk at her doorstep to attract a suitor :rofl:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
No idea, but my goodness , is she GORGEOUS.

Maybe try looking at it from different angles. Has she befriended a swine recently?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No idea, but my goodness , is she GORGEOUS.

Maybe try looking at it from different angles. Has she befriended a swine recently?
I found this question so perhaps the singing pig befriended this type of spider.
Do Joro spiders fly?
might have decided she was ready and put some pheromone-laden silk at her doorstep to attract a suitor :rofl:
Perhaps 🤔
I’ve had this Xenesthis intermedia for about 7 years, never seen her do any significant webbing. Then suddenly this fairly extensive web appears in the corner. Very strange. She was not paired or anything. Anyone else ever see a Xenesthis do something like this?
View attachment 467220
I’ve had some new worlds web the entire substrate floor and others next to nothing.

Samuska

Arachnopeon
My X. intermedia did this a few weeks ago as well, but she’s only about 4” across and still a lanky juvenile. I had her for about a month and a half with zero webbing, then checked on her one morning and she had redecorated like yours! Normally she just spent her nights excavating, but the new webbing was unexpected and looks awesome.
Can’t wait for mine to get as beefy as your girl :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not this species, but I've had Ts do this out of nowhere at times, always makes me wonder "why now"

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Mine hasn't put any silk down but then it's still a sling at almost 3 inches.

I think @Wolfram1 has the best explanation. She's probably matured and ready to breed.

My female P. irminia although arboreal did something similiar. I noticed she was putting silk up outside of her cork round. It was all over. Shortly after she produced an infertile eggsac. I know it was infertile as I had her from a 1 inch sling and was never paired.

MariaLewisia

Arachnoknight
I think @Wolfram1 has the best explanation. She's probably matured and ready to breed.

My female P. irminia although arboreal did something similiar. I noticed she was putting silk up outside of her cork round. It was all over. Shortly after she produced an infertile eggsac. I know it was infertile as I had her from a 1 inch sling and was never paired.
That's very interesting! My young adult Grammostola iheringi female made similar web structures before I attempted to pair her in November-December 2023. She was, however, not at all interested and actually ran away from the male on several occasions. Last month she made new, haphazard webbing just like the pics in this thread show. I'll try and set her up with my male again and see what happens.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes that did her entire enclosure out of the blue. One theory of mine is that they are hoping for suitors.

Also my T verdezi, but I think she's adapted the tank as her burrow, it's smaller than the A. chalcodes'

Samuska

Arachnopeon
I have an Aphonopelma chalcodes that did her entire enclosure out of the blue. One theory of mine is that they are hoping for suitors.

Also my T verdezi, but I think she's adapted the tank as her burrow, it's smaller than the A. chalcodes'
I would assume so as well, except for that many juvenile females do it out of the blue seemingly at random too. Maybe it’s both a form of marking up a territory, and in the case of mature females a means of flagging a male down? At least it would make me happy to know my juvenile T “likes” her enclosure enough to make it “hers” haha