Strange looking Aphonopelma sling

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Strange looking A. moderatum sling. Any thoughts? Sunscreen for this one. I hope it keeps molting and lives, I'm not sure what's going on here yet.

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i think momma T cheated on the male you provided her with {D

actually it looks like all the molt that i seen in there were about that color... maby it's just a molt behind the rest (gonna be a biggun:eek: ).
would be neat... a bigger a.moderatum...:drool:

i know... i'm no help:eek:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ha!, you've helped more than everybody else so far. It did molt though, I have a pic before it molted. It had only a tiny black spot on it's abdomen compared to the rest before it molted. No black spot like all the rest. I know it looks like a put another baby T in there but all those are it's bros and sisters. Something may be wrong genetically, I won't be surprised if doesn't make it.

After doing some reading, I'm wondering if it might be a hairless T, haha. Son of a diddly, just have to wait and see, I'm really curious about this spider.

Last edited:

mouse

Arachnolord
Old Timer
many just a color variation? i'd keep that one if i were you. rosies have a red color phase, a.seemanni have a "blue phase.... maby you just found a new color phase for the a moderatum (rio grande platnium instead of rio grande gold):p

ps. not albino... it's a pink tarantula... it's a girl!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, good one! I hope it lives, here's a better macro shot. It does look like it has less hair compared to the rest around it, even next to the 1st instars. I don't know what instar this pink one is but I'm almost positive it's one I saw molt but maybe not. But, it is definitely different. None of them ever looked like this pink one. They just hatched out of the sac today.

Last edited:

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That is odd. Always has to be an odd ball in the family I guess.

bliss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
personally i'd keep a sharp eye on it. Once it gets a little bigger, i'd separate it out from the rest, just so i can observe any differences that *might* occur.
like mouse said, it's probably just a molting issue. then again, one can never be too sure of things.

--dan--

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Name her/him casper but dont let her/him know they are different from the rest;)

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you have a 10x magnifier where you can take a closer look? Maybe the difference in hairs will stand out more.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Def an odd ball so far. Ha, "casper", "Kojack". What about "Jot", anybody remember the cartoon, "Jot", man that was weird at the time, only option cartoon on Sunday morning, prob have to be older to remember that one. Anyway, yeah, going to keep this T and some others. "Could" be a molt issue but that's not what I'm thinking. A molt issue just doesn't make sense to me. It almost looks like it's missing the fine hairs but has the longer, thicker ones, can't really tell. Don't have a good mag. Only time will tell if it makes it. It looks like it's staying smaller than all the rest, it might be missing something in a genetic way that it needs to survive and grow so I'm not going to get my hopes up. The other ones don't seem to like it when they touch it and it stays by itself most of the time. That could be my imagination since it sticks out from the others. Anyway, I think I'll separate it today. I just noticed in another thread that R. West presented a photo of an albino T. Sure could be a beeno if it's possible, have to keep up with it. Here's another pic.

arachyd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some of the normal-colored ones don't have hairy legs either. Could she have mated with more than 1 male?

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No I've had her for over 2 years. She was pretty small when I acquired her and has molted twice, grew a lot with the last two molts. I got hold of an immature male last year and he matured in the Spring, he's the only one. The smooth legged ones and the hairy legged ones is due to a difference in instars, don't know about the pink one yet.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i have one over 5 years old that is only 2" and thats being liberal with the size lol
if i bought one this size called a 2" id prob be mad lol

by the way, if the oddball survives you could call it gonzo lol hes a real wierdo lol

miarachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had one of those with a Brachypelma sack. It milted just like yours. It did not live. It may be like a runt.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hard to say how big she was when I acquired her, but the last two molts ...big difference. I was told it takes around 10 years for the males to start maturing from slings, guess it depends on how they are raised.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I had one of those with a Brachypelma sack. It milted just like yours. It did not live. It may be like a runt.
Unfortunately, that's what I'm expecting. It's in a deli now, and even on it's native sub, nothing more I can do. I'll post any molts if they happen.

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Folks...this is "evolution by means of natural selection" you have just seen. This is one of the ways that it works...a genetically distinct individual.

Galapoheros...definitely keep this one separate! See how its life goes...if it dies, throw it in the freezer and I can use it!

Chris