Strange bump on Pandinus sp.

el_barto

Arachnopeon
I just bought a new Pandinus (Cavimanus I'd say), and it has a strange bump on the left side. I took some picture of it, anyone has an idea what it can be ? The scorpion seems quite healthy and very agressive.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Thanks

ThatGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have 2 guesses either its some kinda of injury or its internal parasite.

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dude i dont want to be an alarmist but it doesnt look good, i had a pandinus just recently that died with something that looked very similar to that, if you just got that scorp i would suggest looking to return it for a refund to place of purchase, is it eating? is it pooping? both important questions, it looks abit skinny on the area where there is no bump, ill post pics of mine later she eventually stopped feeding and pooping and then died.
fingers are crossed for ya
cheers
ORION

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
impacted alimentary canal?

just a random guess

Last edited:

el_barto

Arachnopeon
ORION_DV8 said:
Dude i dont want to be an alarmist but it doesnt look good, i had a pandinus just recently that died with something that looked very similar to that, if you just got that scorp i would suggest looking to return it for a refund to place of purchase, is it eating? is it pooping? both important questions, it looks abit skinny on the area where there is no bump, ill post pics of mine later she eventually stopped feeding and pooping and then died.
fingers are crossed for ya
cheers
ORION
For now it is eating a lot, I thought it was a bit skinny so I feed it regularly. I have not seen it poop for now, but I fear it might be the pooping canal that is blocked as I have the impression that the bump is growing (I did not notice it at first so I guess it must have been small). I will feed it tomorrow and see if the bump grows even more.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes, that looks like a textbook impaction.

I'd say the prognosis doesn't look good :/

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
It could very well be an impaction...but that is not necessarily the case...It could also be a healed injury. This 'looks' like something you see quite commonly with Hadogenes spp. That genus seem to get this sort of 'bump' when a mesasomal segment gets injured and can live out what appears to be a normal life once it heals. It still has the bump but it behaves normally. So it is also possible what you are seeing is a healed injury...However, it still could be an impaction as others have suggested.

John
];')

Elmolax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Althugh I'm not a scorp enthusiest/hobbyist, I do handle them quite alot while out tarantula hunting.
I see this alot...
From my experiances It could be an old wound that healed wrong, or a parasite attacking the wound.
But like I said, I'm not a hobbyist/entusiest, but I do see this alot.

I'm probably wrong tho ~_~

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just for an idea here is a pic of mine before it died

hoping for the best in your case
cheers
ORION

el_barto

Arachnopeon
Well it has burrowed to the bottom of its enclosure, which it had never done before, so I guess it wants to be left alone...

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
el_barto>

Thats noting strange. Both my cavimanus make huge burrows.

ink_scorpion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And in case you're still wondering...

...it is a female P. cavimanus! Get her a boy!!! :D

fangsalot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
man whatever it is i hope its no big deal and i hope mine dont get that!