Strange behavior... Hunting?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
My scorpion has been underground for quite some time... until now...
For the past 2 nights he has been exploring the surface of his enclosure once again. Exiting its borrow and walking around. I tried to offer it a cricket but it ran away from it... and then charged at the tongs twice. This wasn't defensive behavior, it CHARGED the tongs... and yet it avoided the cricket...

...wwwwhy?
What is my scorpion doing? I want to understand it's behavior if i can...

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My scorpion has been underground for quite some time... until now...
For the past 2 nights he has been exploring the surface of his enclosure once again. Exiting its borrow and walking around. I tried to offer it a cricket but it ran away from it... and then charged at the tongs twice. This wasn't defensive behavior, it CHARGED the tongs... and yet it avoided the cricket...

...wwwwhy?
What is my scorpion doing? I want to understand it's behavior if i can...
Leave the cricket in overnight. If it does not feed by morning remove it and try again next week.

It could be hunting, exploring, searching for a mate (if a mature male) or any number of other things. It is not unusual for them to be seen more once they settle in and feel more comfortable.

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
Scorpions and T’s often display unusual behavior my scorpion also does this from time to time. I’ve heard light irritates them. I also own a forest scorpion and was told there more of a aggressive species so that may have something to do with it. But my best guess would be they just want to be left alone cause they view you as threat. I’ve started dropping the food in and checking 4hrs later, if there I remove try again later. They could also be territorial someone may know more then me I’m just guessing don’t have a lot of scorpion experience

Blackwind

Arachnopeon
Just from my experience with the scorpions I have. They can be all over the place when it comes to feeding. Even the same scorpion one week will charge straight at the cricket as soon as it gets put in, then next week become very defensive on noticing the tongs. Some of them won't even eat while they are aware I am there, I'll throw the cricket in, they'll run away. I'll check the next morning and it's gone. Or they will only eat if they can ambush it from their burrow. My Hadrurus arizonensis buries itself and closes off its burrow for weeks/months at a time, then once it's hungry it'll come out wander around at night for the next few weeks, then bury itself again.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Potentially looking for a mating partner huh? well I think he still has some growing to do before anything like that happens. What ever the reason i am just happy to see him.
But side note... how do I know for sure that it IS a he? I looked it up on google so I think it is a male based on what I read but I want to know for sure.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Potentially looking for a mating partner huh? well I think he still has some growing to do before anything like that happens. What ever the reason i am just happy to see him.
But side note... how do I know for sure that it IS a he? I looked it up on google so I think it is a male based on what I read but I want to know for sure.
there are posts if you search through the Forum here on sexing scorpions.