Old Timer
hello i would like some help identifing a beetle i found
i live in arkansas
chyguy thanks

Last edited:

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont know much about beetles but it looks like a 'stag beetle' Lucanus sp?

stu

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by ORION_DV8
looks to me like Lucanus elaphus the elephant stag beetle
Correct...and it's a male. The males use their huge mandibles to wrestle one annother over feeding sites (tree sap) and females.

The females have the smae body shape and color, but have normal-sized heads and mandibles.

That beetles is sought after by collectors for obvious reasons. You can keep it alive if you like, I've done it by offering a shallow dish filled with watered-down pure maple syrup, with wadded up paper towels stuffed in to prevent spillage. They will also enjoy sliced bannana or grapes and other sweet fruits. You'll notice he won't use his mandbles to eat, they are for combat only. He sort of "licks" it up. He should live a couple of months at least.

Wade

Neo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow that thing is ferious looking.

During my stay in Vietnam with my friend I came across Hercules beetles. They are huge.

During then I had a dung people fly in the house and smack me on the head, lol. I kept it as a pet, it didn't smell like dung which it rolls in so...

:D

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That beetle has some head gear from hell !:) ** way off topic** I have stayed in hot springs afew years back and found a Tarantula . At the time I didn't know they could live there,nor did my uncle who said it wasn't he was scared of it of course and wouldn't let me capture it. All I can remember was a red overall apperance.Just curious have you ever observed those ?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how big is that thing? I read somewhere once that they are one of the largest beetles?

Sigh, I wish we had cool stuff like that living in the UK.

Stu.

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the help i did let it go though it was about 2 inches long my brother found it upside down on its back i guess its a loser beetle. and yes i have caught lots of trantulas here and big centipede on occasion thanks again chyguy

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Was it near a light? These beetles are often attracted to lights at night. It may have bashed itself into a lightpost or wall, fallen, and been unable to right itself. The massive mandibles make these guys ver awkward!

Wade

chyguy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
to wade it was just in the middle of the driveway we live in a very heavily wooded area so im pretty sure he lost the battle over something . you guys are a great help cant wait to find something else that i havent seen .
chyguy