Stout Leg Baboon

JasonCrowl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know very little about them, but I'm interested in learning more. Arboreal or terrestrial? Size? Appetite? Burrower? Any info would be greatly appreciated......

Jason

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you could provide a scientific name, that would be helpful. :)

ghordy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, Stout Leg Baboon? Well, let's see... since it's a baboon it's probably from Africa and 'Stout Leg' must mean its got big quadriceps like Ahnold Schwarzenegger.

Yea, that's the ticket! {D

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eucratoscelus pachypus if I'm not mistaken, but other than its an african species I don't know much. (they are on my list though)

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Terrestrial burrower. My adult female was just over 4" LS before I sold her. Mine was very docile. The occasional lazy threat display but never stuck or fanged anything but her prey.

Great looking, olive drag coloured, T. Those thick rear legs are awesome too.

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
The only spiders that would be given that common name ( IMO ) would be:

E. constrictus (GERSTÄCKER, 1873)
E. pachypus SCHMIDT & VON WIRTH, 1990

But check out this post:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=677460&postcount=4

so
E. pachypus is the likely species.

I have a few and they are SOOOO easy.
complete pet holes, who once in a while grace me with their view.

enough that I was able to get these shots:

if yours looks like those then :)

PSYS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
+1

I used to have one of these in my collection.
A great looking pet hole it is, indeed. :)

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah they're very easy if you're talking about the pachypus. Mine's got a burrow in all 4 corners of her little critter keeper, and the entire middle is webbed. Only problem is, she webs over her water dish and I have to tear it up to find it. If I try to just moisten the substrate for her, the webbing is so thick that the water just runs right down into her burrows. Not a big deal just kinda funny.

She's super docile once you get her away from her burrow. Like most burrowing spiders, she'll defend her home pretty aggressively but that's about it, I've held her plenty of times. The back legs are super soft and fluffy.

She's also got pretty much the exact opposite behavior of ever other burrower that I have. While most retreat into their burrows at the slightest disturbance, mine will come out to "investigate" whatever it is that's going on. Kinda funny.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The one I had did the same, she'd always come out to see what was going on but with no aggression.

Yeah they're very easy if you're talking about the pachypus. Mine's got a burrow in all 4 corners of her little critter keeper, and the entire middle is webbed. Only problem is, she webs over her water dish and I have to tear it up to find it. If I try to just moisten the substrate for her, the webbing is so thick that the water just runs right down into her burrows. Not a big deal just kinda funny.

She's super docile once you get her away from her burrow. Like most burrowing spiders, she'll defend her home pretty aggressively but that's about it, I've held her plenty of times. The back legs are super soft and fluffy.

She's also got pretty much the exact opposite behavior of ever other burrower that I have. While most retreat into their burrows at the slightest disturbance, mine will come out to "investigate" whatever it is that's going on. Kinda funny.

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This is one species that I've been on the fence with the idea of having. They are a beautiful spider, but it's that pet-hole thing that gets me. If they generally behaved like yours, I'd definately get one at some point.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine was always visible due to the nature of the burrow I provided for her. There's no guarantee yours will be the same, but what I did was to dig out an angled hole in her substrate and then put a piece of birch bark, that was a perfect tube, into this hole. The piece of bark touched the bottom of the enclosure and she lived in there for much longer than a year, perfectly content.

She didn't fill it with substrate or anything. She'd come out to explore occasionally but, for the most part, she'd sit in the tube about halfway down and not move much.

It may be worth a try.

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept a few of these and I tend to try different things for set ups when I get a new T. I gave one 9" soild and never saw her accept for when she got hungry she would hang her legs out the top of the burrow. the other one I set up in a shallow cage about 2" soil and she was always visible and webber like crazy. she made the ground shiny with web it was awesome!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I really like this species for the way they look, their gentle(ish) and inquisitive nature, size (I like mini-T's) and overall hardiness. That said, I certainly own more interesting T's. They're not very active and spend most of their time just sitting at the bottom of the burrow. As stated though, they will come out and invextigate anything that may be food. It's easy to lure them out by dribbling some water near the entrance or carefully tickling the soil/webbing with a stick or something.

They're nice to have, a little exotic and all but one can get more T-time enjoyment from a snarky, hungry species like a Nhandu or from a less skittish, more handleable one like Grammostola.