User Storm76's picture thread

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. irminia "Pheadra" nomming on her cricket :) (after she killed it, she webbed it up, then rolled it in the dirt, THEN started to eat...lol)
P1010112.JPG

P. irminia "Pheadra" nomming on her cricket :)
P1010113.JPG

Heterothele villosella having lunch, too, on her back, lol (this girl I'm gonna call "Takhisis" as she's evil :D)
P1010118.JPG

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thought I'd post this one here, too. Enjoy!

[YOUTUBE]MkxYzxrLTGw[/YOUTUBE]

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not even using a bridge camera, this is just a (in my opinion) really good digital cam! I'm using this one: PANASONIC DIGITAL CAMERA DMC-TZ7

This thing has just some amazing macro qualities if you don't use the "automatic" settings
I use my cell phone... :-/

I love that Hommoeomma!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I use my cell phone... :-/

I love that Hommoeomma!
Thank you :) I just had to get that one, although it was a bit pricey. Considering those are kinda rare over here in the hobby (Euathlus pulcherimaklaasi & Homoeomma spec "blue" both are...) it's certainly alright though. I seriously don't know why they are that rare. Aside from the fact that their eggsack doesn't have that many (I think it was between 50-75 - correct me if I am wrong!) not a lot of people keep them obviously. It's a shame though, since their adult colors are gorgeous! Hands down!

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You've got some great pictures in here! And the collection is growing quite a bit!

I have to get a new camera sometime soon, for taking pictures of tarantulas but mostly for field work. I definitely need some great macro settings for taking up close shots of flowers (I do speciation and genomics research within a species complex of flowers), so I'll be sure to try out the same model you're using.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avic pics are lookin good!..also love the clean crisp look of youyr set ups

...and as for you metallica,...unfortunatly is jus A. avicularia (the red satea on the sides of the abdomen are a dead give away)...still a great lookin T!

..sp. metallica lack red hair almost completely, and are more greenish overall w/white tipped satea :)

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You've got some great pictures in here! And the collection is growing quite a bit!

I have to get a new camera sometime soon, for taking pictures of tarantulas but mostly for field work. I definitely need some great macro settings for taking up close shots of flowers (I do speciation and genomics research within a species complex of flowers), so I'll be sure to try out the same model you're using.
Thanks! I don't think it'll grow over 20 or 25 maybe though. My appartment is just too small to support more really. Also, I'm pretty sure for the most part I'll stay "New World" :D (those OW's are sometimes making me worry and hence I don't think it'd be a good idea getting a bunch of those)

As for the camera, if you decide to get the one I use I strongly suggest getting a spare battery-pack though. That's one of the few drawbacks of this cam as it sucks up battery quite fast. It has a battery lock so you can't use third-party batteries, but there's a bunch of them already available at amazon.com that do work anyways and are WAY cheaper than the manufactures ones.

Avic pics are lookin good!..also love the clean crisp look of youyr set ups

...and as for you metallica,...unfortunatly is jus A. avicularia (the red satea on the sides of the abdomen are a dead give away)...still a great lookin T!

..sp. metallica lack red hair almost completely, and are more greenish overall w/white tipped satea :)
Yep, it's kinda what I assumed already. From the moment I first saw the specimen stretched out and could look at her from all sides, it made me thing "That's an A. avic...isn't it?" Thanks for clarifying that for me, crawltech! Guess I'll have to relabed her enclosure and rewrite my list, lol.

As a sidenote...did I mention I just couldn't resists getting a new GBB sling and a A. geniculata (about 1,5")? :D Pictures will follow once they'll have adjusted to their new homes :D:D:D

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks! I don't think it'll grow over 20 or 25 maybe though. My appartment is just too small to support more really. Also, I'm pretty sure for the most part I'll stay "New World" :D (those OW's are sometimes making me worry and hence I don't think it'd be a good idea getting a bunch of those)

As for the camera, if you decide to get the one I use I strongly suggest getting a spare battery-pack though. That's one of the few drawbacks of this cam as it sucks up battery quite fast. It has a battery lock so you can't use third-party batteries, but there's a bunch of them already available at amazon.com that do work anyways and are WAY cheaper than the manufactures ones.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide to go with that model. Running out of batteries out in the field, miles from anyone else would certainly be a disappointment.

On another topic, you've gotta trust me, you are NOT going to be able to keep it down to 20-25 tarantulas. I remember looking at my collection back when there were ~50 individuals, and thinking to myself, "I'm pleased with this collection. I think I'm good for a while". That lasted about a couple weeks. I've now got over 80 that I'm keeping in a tiny closet in the room that I share with my girlfriend! I know a thing or two about being limited by space, but I just can't stop finding species that I NEED in my collection! I'm already planning my next round of purchases too. As soon as our lease is up I'm looking for new places. I'd love to find a 2 bedroom apartment, one will be our room and the other will be the spider room.

I'm sure your collection will extend beyond mostly NW tarantulas too. OW t's can be a little intimidating at first, but you eventually reach a point where a threat pose just makes you say things like, "ahhh, you're happy to see me, isn't it cute?". You should remain alert when working with OW, but they're not that bad in the end. Plus, a big Lampropelma or Cyriopagopus female is just about a beautiful as tarantulas get. If I remember correctly, a P. irminia was among your first purchases? If you can handle a Psalmopoeus from the very beginning, you'll be fine with a bunch of OWs. It might not happen sometime soon, but I guarantee it will happen.

Porp

Arachnosquire
You have wonderful tastes in species. I'm soooooo jealous of your homoeomma so. blue, GBB and A. geniculata. Those are probably my next few.

matt82

Arachnoknight
Wow, nice Avic shots, and just a great collection of shots in general. I'll be checking out that site for some of those enclosures for sure!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind if I decide to go with that model. Running out of batteries out in the field, miles from anyone else would certainly be a disappointment.

On another topic, you've gotta trust me, you are NOT going to be able to keep it down to 20-25 tarantulas. I remember looking at my collection back when there were ~50 individuals, and thinking to myself, "I'm pleased with this collection. I think I'm good for a while". That lasted about a couple weeks. I've now got over 80 that I'm keeping in a tiny closet in the room that I share with my girlfriend! I know a thing or two about being limited by space, but I just can't stop finding species that I NEED in my collection! I'm already planning my next round of purchases too. As soon as our lease is up I'm looking for new places. I'd love to find a 2 bedroom apartment, one will be our room and the other will be the spider room.

I'm sure your collection will extend beyond mostly NW tarantulas too. OW t's can be a little intimidating at first, but you eventually reach a point where a threat pose just makes you say things like, "ahhh, you're happy to see me, isn't it cute?". You should remain alert when working with OW, but they're not that bad in the end. Plus, a big Lampropelma or Cyriopagopus female is just about a beautiful as tarantulas get. If I remember correctly, a P. irminia was among your first purchases? If you can handle a Psalmopoeus from the very beginning, you'll be fine with a bunch of OWs. It might not happen sometime soon, but I guarantee it will happen.
Regarding the OW subject:
Yes, B. smithi (2-2,5") and P. irminia (around 3,5") were my first and I am not lying when I say that I jumped the first time she freaking "teleported"! Nevertheless, by now I am more comfy around her and as mentioned the transfer to her new enclosure even was absolutely easy-going with no whatsoever incidents. I do, however, always keep an eye on her (in case she's hiding behind the artificial plants where I can see her) when I can. I do consider her quite mellow tempered for an irmnia actually, so I have no comparison to how I would get along with a really defensive one. She certainly isn't that much so far. Guess my sling might teach me that part though...he's throwing threat-postures quite often whenever I just freaking open his little deli-cup-thingie :D
Overall, I just don't feel like if an accident -does- happen, feeling like crap for the next x number of days. Quite frankly, I think that would more or less even drive me away from the hobby maybe, as I would get kinda scared about that species. A good example is Haplopelma or Lampropelma, or even Poecies - all of those I have a HELL of a lot of respect for. I love looking at their pictures, no question, I'm just not feeling ready for either of those myself. PLUS - I like display spiders that don't hide that much - admittedly the P.irminia is an exception *cough, cough* but she's a beauty! I really like Psalms, they have characteristics that are also common in Poecis, but aren't as venomous and right -that- was the main point for my decision to get one, aside from the fact that I absolutely love,love,love irminia from the colorings.

As for space:
Well, I don't have exactly that much space right now. I have a bedroom and a living-room, kitchen, bath plus a VERY little extra storage room that is FULL with stuff. On one hand, I'll admit that I am thinking pretty much DAILY on where I could mount shelfs onto the wall, rearrange already existing furniture to get more space and so on and so forth :D Yeah, yeah, I know - setting yourself a LIMIT is mostl likely doomed to fail anyways, but I'll probably try nevertheless. When thinking back, before I even went and bought my first two, I told my GF I wouldn't get more than a few...maybe 5...or 8...or so. Now I'm at 17...:sarcasm: kinda tells her and me something there :)

However - I will NOT (under NO circumstances!) make a bet with either of you people - because I'll admit I'm worried about losing that one, haha! :D:D:D

You have wonderful tastes in species. I'm soooooo jealous of your homoeomma so. blue, GBB and A. geniculata. Those are probably my next few.
Thanks, man :D Why are you guys jealous on the Homoeomma spec. "blue" exactly, though? Is it that rare over there on the other side of the big pond? :)
My 2nd GBB sling (way smaller than the first I got) is actually doing what GBB's do best: Eating like a horse! I accidentally dropped 4 pinheads into his enclosure (was too lazy grabbing them with tongs and didn't feel like having a truckload of them hopping throughout my livingroom while trying to catch them with my hands, lol) and what happens? That little pig hunts them all down and then comfortably settles down munching on his prey. No food for that one for some time I guess, lol :D. And my new A. geniculata seems to be mega-shy actually so far. Hopefulyl, she'll get used to her new surroundings in time and shows some more typical behavior :) Pictures of those will certainly follow whenever I can take some nice ones worth posting.

Wow, nice Avic shots, and just a great collection of shots in general. I'll be checking out that site for some of those enclosures for sure!
Thank you, Sir! I try do make shots that can be enjoyed by others, too. Adam will most likely be very happy if you order some from him. On the same note, I saw that Jamie's Tarantulas offers also really great enclosures (no idea if that's somehow a joint-venture there on that end, or each does it on his/her own) and it's certainly worth checking her enclosures out, too!

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
P. irminia "Phaedra" out on a nightime stroll
P1010128.JPG

Kinda bad pic, but I couldn't get a better one for now: A. geniculata
P1010134.JPG

A. azuraklaasi lunchtime
P1010139.JPG

A. azuraklaasi lunchtime 2 (slightly out of focus, sry about that)
P1010140.JPG

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Nyx" my G. pulchripes girl out stretching some :)
P1010142.JPG

P1010143.JPG

Kinda funny pic - P. irminia and A. avicularia both grooming at the same time :D:D:D
P1010144.JPG

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
"Phaedra" P. irminia female (actually remeasured her and she's a 4" DLS actually instead of 3,5" like I assumed!)
P1010146.JPG

P1010147.JPG

I really need to get some better pictures of this girl...maybe I can manage on the weekend now :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
awesome pics Storm... i love that P. irminia... maybe ill get one again after all.. i just got the two we talked about in TODAY and am excited. mine appear to be not too much further along than yours ... my versi has the lil red spots on his abdomen now that he just hit 6i, and the diversipes is a lil more colorful, but hard to tell ..its due for a molt. Tony told me its 4i... bigger than the versi for sure.. both mine are likely female too.. hope the best for you (and all your ts..)awesome collection. keep the pics comin...

later, steve

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
awesome pics Storm... i love that P. irminia... maybe ill get one again after all.. i just got the two we talked about in TODAY and am excited. mine appear to be not too much further along than yours ... my versi has the lil red spots on his abdomen now that he just hit 6i, and the diversipes is a lil more colorful, but hard to tell ..its due for a molt. Tony told me its 4i... bigger than the versi for sure.. both mine are likely female too.. hope the best for you (and all your ts..)awesome collection. keep the pics comin...
later, steve
Thanks, bud! Yep, aside from the fact she was the first of my T's along with the smithi, I really love their coloration.

Your diversipes is way ahead of mine, though. Mine is (I think! - Correct me if I am wrong acccording to the pics posted!) 2i but it finally ate some pinheads yesterday!
I think my versis are 2-3i only, too (check pictures to correct me if need be). Small but so far kinda picky eaters with not that great of an appetite.

One of the versis is in premolt I suspect, since she's refusing food for over a week now plus her colors are looking washed out and her butt looks somewhat darker, hopefully my assumption is correct. Same goes for both amazonicas, those certainly are 2i only and currently sport black butts :)

I really need to get my hands on 2 purpurea slings still, looking for them currently over here...

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome! Got 2 newly molted spiderlings that obviously picked last night for molting :)
P1010157.JPG

A. versicolor (hope the 2nd one molts soon, too!)
P1010155.JPG

A. amazonica (hope the 2nd one molts soon, too!)
P1010156.JPG

I have 2 each and those are each from the same respective sack, so I'm curious how far behind the 2nd one of them will be :)

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awsome set of pics, Stormy!...gotta love irminias eh?...frickin awsome!....I have three lovely ladies here at home, yet I still check on your thread to see yours!...B-E-A-U-tiful!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awsome set of pics, Stormy!...gotta love irminias eh?...frickin awsome!....I have three lovely ladies here at home, yet I still check on your thread to see yours!...B-E-A-U-tiful!
Thanks, buddy! Yep! Awesome T's! I like their somewhat more defensive personality, at least it does start growing on me! Seriously thinking about adding more of those in the future to my collection...!