Still won't eat!!!!

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I posted a thread awhile ago saying that my GBB was acting like an arboreal T...well, it's come down from its wannabe Avic stage, but still isn't eating...I got him from Martin almost a month ago and he was somewhat freshly moulted (as he told me)...so he was eating pretty well, but then once I moved him to his new enclosure he went all arboreal on me and never came down...I managed to rig up a mealworm in his webbing so he would eat it, and he did...but my question is this...could he already be in pre-moult after such a short period of time and after having eaten significantly less than my other slings?

He is about an inch (that's what he was sold to me as...1", so I dunno....he's still pretty small...which makes me think a moult might not be an impossibility)

Thanks in advance!

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He could be in pre molt. It all depends on how long ago it was when it last molted and how much it ate in between. Some spiders have weird tendencies and will stop eating for extended periods of time. if its abdomen still looks like it is a healthy size and the spider is okay just make sure it has a source of water and keep trying to put crickets in there with it.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have an adult female GBB that has only eaten 1/2 a cricket in the last 3 months...I just keep offering once a week and hopefully she will eat or molt, as for your little one just do the same only try every 4 or 5 days...any food not eaten within a few hours remove it and try again in a few days...

Good Luck...

Mike :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That is odd. A GBB is usually a voracious eater. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches now and should be thinking about molting pretty soon. It also acts arboreal which most of the youngsters of this species will. Are you feeding pin head crickets or just meal worms? Also, how long has it been since it last molted?

CIRE

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brian S said:
That is odd. A GBB is usually a voracious eater. Mine is about 1 1/2 inches now and should be thinking about molting pretty soon. It also acts arboreal which most of the youngsters of this species will. Are you feeding pin head crickets or just meal worms? Also, how long has it been since it last molted?
As I said in my original post, I was told that it had recently molted before it was shipped...but it had already been fed before shipping (I think)...so it couldn't have been much more than a month ago....I've been feeding it both crickets and mealworms...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One thing that I have noticed, when my GBB is nearing a molt the black stripes on the abdomen won't be as dark. Mine is starting to do that now and is not accepting food so I am thinking it is nearing a molt. It has been a little over a month since it molted.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It sounds to me like it's premolt. Since it's still under 1" and was most likely fed well before you received it should be molting every month or two. At least that's my experience. As has been mentioned, keep offering food every few days or once a week. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much about it.

-David

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
cire007 said:
I posted a thread awhile ago saying that my GBB was acting like an arboreal T...well, it's come down from its wannabe Avic stage, but still isn't eating...I got him from Martin almost a month ago and he was somewhat freshly moulted (as he told me)...so he was eating pretty well, but then once I moved him to his new enclosure he went all arboreal on me and never came down...I managed to rig up a mealworm in his webbing so he would eat it, and he did...but my question is this...could he already be in pre-moult after such a short period of time and after having eaten significantly less than my other slings?

He is about an inch (that's what he was sold to me as...1", so I dunno....he's still pretty small...which makes me think a moult might not be an impossibility)

Thanks in advance!
Young GBB's eat well & molt frequently. Most probably in pre-molt I'd say. Also I've noticed that they will kill any excess prey items trapped within their domain without eating them.