1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion Sticky thread for Avicularia (& relatives) care

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting / Suggestions' started by Thekla, May 14, 2018.

1. Thekla

Thekla Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    ... and updating those general questions and info threads in the Tarantula Questions & Discussion section.

Every time a new thread with husbandry problems for these species pops up (and that happens scarily often), I wonder why there's no sticky thread for it, including the two most linked threads on this forum ;)

Avicularia care by @Venom1080
    Avicularia husbandry by @viper69

... and several good example pictures and videos for enclosures from slings to adults.

It would be so much easier for people to help if we had a thread where all the good info is combined. :)

I also looked through these both threads in the sticky section

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/beginner-info-read-before-posting.153508/
    http://arachnoboards.com/threads/quick-reference-guide-to-answer-common-questions.145454/

but those are old and unfortunately haven't been updated in a really long time.

For example, @boina's brilliant thread for Ts stuck in moult should be mentioned there as well somewhere.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-stuck-in-its-molt-look-here-for-advice.306038/

And I'm pretty sure there're more really informative and newer threads that should be up there as well. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

If I get approval, I would really like to clean up the sticky section, un-pinning a few that aren't really needed, consolidating others, and adding an index for care-related threads like the Avicularia thread and the "stuck in molt" thread.

• Like Like x 3
  3. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Cleaning up the stickies section has been a personal issue of mine sine before I became a mod. It's a slower process than you might think, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

I second adding my post as a sticky!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  5. viper69

It's been a few weeks. Will my post be added? It doesn't take long to add a post at all as sticky. I remember one a couple years ago, it went up in a few days as sticky.

6. EulersK

Working on it ;) I'm just about done working on everything. Likely going to present it tonight.

I'm in the process of overhauling all of the stickies. Still have to present it to the other mods first. Give me a little time. Feel free to message me with any other threads you'd want included.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  7. viper69

So we have Zoltan's guide on raising Rosie's from 2012, yet we can't have my sticky up for raising Avic's, arguably a species that dies more due to husbandry errors than a Gram. rosea..... :rolleyes:o_O

8. EulersK

I've currently got a completed proposal for an overhaul of the stickies. Just waiting for approval.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  9. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Just curious. Do you, by chance, believe in Bigfoot, the Lochness Monster and the tooth fairy?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. viper69

51 positive remarks--- What's there to propose. I feel like this mod position is more like Skull & Bones society from Yale.

11. EulersK

No, just extremely slow moving. I've been trying to get this done since before I was a mod.

12. viper69

Ah I see. I've looked at the Sticky there isn't that much work to be done. We aren't preserving frescoes in Venice.:rolleyes::watching:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. EulersK

Nah, there's more to be done than you'd think. Just my proposal for changes took up 3 pages in Microsoft Word. If/When I get the greenlight, it'll probably be about 2-3 hours of work.

14. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

Like an elephant giving birth. Takes almost 2 years to get around to it, involves a whole lot of bellowing and trumpeting, but the actual job gets done in a matter of an hour or two.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. viper69

It's not a thesis to write. How is it not one sentene "Can we clean up the stickies....maybe add a new one..." ???:wideyed:

16. EulersK

You'll see when it happens ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Maybe a reality check is in order for some members who get frustrated that their own stuff isn't getting the attention they think it deserves.

- The moderators and admins are under no obligation to anyone to sticky a thread. Doesn't matter how many positive ratings a thread gets or how many members ask for it to be a sticky. It especially doesn't matter how many requests for updates are made or how much whining is done.

- Moderation and admin duties on this site are done by volunteers. Some things just take a long time to get done. Everyone who moderates or administers this site have lives that don't revolve around requests. We make sure we get some matters taken care on a timely basis, but making stickies is not a priority. And before anyone asks, no, moderators and admins are not obligated to anyone to discuss what takes priority and what doesn't.

@EulersK summed it all up quite nicely by stating "You'll see when it happens." When the community supports a thread to be a sticky, it should be considered an honor to have that kind of peer approval. Moderators have already stated that an overhaul of the stickies are in progress which takes time. Please be patient and keep your eyes peeled for those updates to be completed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. viper69

I am patient, if I wasn't patient, I wouldn't be persistent, I just wouldn't care to ask!

No reality check is needed.

I believe you have completely misunderstood my posts here, i.e. I'm not whining.

1. I know there are no obligations- that's obvious- I never said, nor implied anyone was under an obligation, and to think there is an obligation would be ludicrous.. Choosing what is a sticky is completely "random", ie one can never predict what thread will be a sticky and what thread won't be.

2. I'm aware the people on this site are volunteers, surely you know I know this given how long I've been posting here...

3. My series of question stem from the fact that w/out actually knowing the process, as an end-user I see some stickies and what appears to be not too much work to be done. If I knew more about the process that EulersK alluded to, I would be less curious, and would ask less questions.

I'm not suggesting such information be released. However, I'm merely letting you know the effect of such secrecy/lack of details may have on the end-user.

4. The only reason I inquired about putting my thread as a sticky wasn't because of the number of times people found it helpful. In point of fact I'm quite surprised it reached over 20 positive comments as most of my posts average about 4-7.

I made the suggestion because of the number of new people with Avics who end up with dead Avics over the many years I've been posting here.

Lastly, regarding peer recognition, the other reason I inquired to have the post made a sticky was due to the number of times I've seen people like @Ungoliant and many others who drop my link as something that new Avic owners would find useful. That in itself was very impressive to me, and surprising.

And to be fair, people have used Venom's link quite a bit as well!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  19. viper69

20. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Hope you mean Venice Beach because in Venezia, Italy, all of those frescoes are (perfect) copies for cheat tourists: me and His Holiness, the Pope :angelic: possess the real ones in our secured/alarmed basements :)