Stick/ Leaf insects eggs

brandongalea

Arachnopeon
I'm getting 10 eggs of each of the following inverts:
Vietnamese Stick Insect - Ramulus artemis
Linnaeus' Leaf Bug - Phyllium siccifolium
Indian stick insects - Carausius morosus
Giant Prickly Stick Insect (Macleay’s Spectre Stick Insect) - Extatosoma tiaratum

I've done my research, and found out, every source is stressing about mould/ fungus, which sometimes is difficult to control.
Would it be a good idea to keep them in peat moss, since it stops fungus from growing?

Hornets inverts

Arachnobaron
in my opinions fungus is no threat, i get it with most eggs but in my opinion all the fungi is doing is feeding on the remains of the frass that the eggs were collected from, once that source has gone the fungi dies. I use sand, coco peat, sphagnum, vermiculite or paper towel. None appear to be worse or better than the next

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If the substrate is way too humid, the operculum will get moldy and the egg will go bad.

regards

francisco

Camden

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In my experience with really any kind of bug, the peat moss holds too much moisture and grows quicker.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Vietnamese and Indians rarely have mold issues. They hatch quickly too.

P. siccifolium and other Phyllium are susceptible to mold so keep an eye on them. If you see mold beginning to form, let the container dry and air out for a few days. You can brush the mold away with a small paintbrush, etc.

E. tiaratum are prone to growing mold in humid conditions. The eggs of this species can tolerate a lot of dryness, so don't worry about spraying them or wetting down the substrate too much. However, it is especially important to mist the ova regularly when they are beginning to hatch because the nymphs will have trouble exiting and become deformed if they are too dry. If you see mold on their eggs you can wash the eggs with warm water and a little bit of soap. These are tough eggs!

Peat moss is good, but I slightly prefer coconut fiber substrate.