Stick Insect/Bug

AKCeltics19

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I am planning on getting some stick insects but am having trouble finding a good food source during the winter. I know I can buy bramble and eucalyptus leaves, but I want to grow my own plants to feed them. I had sticks previously and fed them romaine lettuce, but I do not know if the lettuce is nutritional or just tasty to them. Are there any plants that I could keep indoors to feed them? I would even consider having a type of bramble indoors in a big pot if it is possible. Thank you.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hello,

I am planning on getting some stick insects but am having trouble finding a good food source during the winter. I know I can buy bramble and eucalyptus leaves, but I want to grow my own plants to feed them. I had sticks previously and fed them romaine lettuce, but I do not know if the lettuce is nutritional or just tasty to them. Are there any plants that I could keep indoors to feed them? I would even consider having a type of bramble indoors in a big pot if it is possible. Thank you.
It really depends on what kind of stick insects you are getting. There are a great many different phasmid species, and not all of them will eat the same things.

AKCeltics19

Arachnopeon
It really depends on what kind of stick insects you are getting. There are a great many different phasmid species, and not all of them will eat the same things.
Yes, thank you. I assumed this would be the answer so I was hoping for some general foodstuff to feed. I am not yet sure which species I will be getting.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thank you. Maybe I will buy roses (or just ask for the leaves) without any pesticides on them.
If you are buying them from a florist or commercial grower, they will almost certainly have been treated with pesticides of some sort, either sprays or systemic pesticides that are taken up through the roots.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, thank you. I assumed this would be the answer so I was hoping for some general foodstuff to feed. I am not yet sure which species I will be getting.
You should figure out which species are available first, then research the species you are interested in and determine the most appropriate food plant. For example, here in SoCal, we have native Timema species. Just within that genus are some species that will feed on fir, others on juniper, some on buckwheat, some on manzanita, some on ceanothus or chamise or toyon or oak or redwood or pine. A few species will accept multiple plants from these selections, while others require a certain plant in order to thrive. There is no "catch-all" food plant that will be widely accepted by all of them. It's the same with any of our North American phasmids. While things like oak, rose leaves, and bramble (raspberry/blackberry and related plants) are widely accepted, not all phasmids will be able to eat them. And if you are looking into any of the exotic species (which are not, technically, legal to import/own/raise/breed in the US) they could have even more diverse dietary requirements and may not find your native plants palatable.

It's like saying "I'm going to raise caterpillars. What should I feed them?" It all depends on the caterpillar. If you raise Monarchs, you'll need milkweed. If you're raising Luna moths, you'll need liquidambar, birch, hickory, pecan, sumac, or something similar. Try to give them milkweed and they'll starve.

Last edited: