Stick Insect, a mystery.

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
So I found this stick insect a few days ago In Bucks County Pennsylvania. I knew immediately that it didn't belong anywhere near here. (no records of any Phasmid species living in Bucks county) I was also 90% sure it was not a Diapheromera femorata (only native species here in Pennsylvania) as I have been keeping and breeding that species for several years. It seems to be very characteristic of Diapheromera Persimilis. However D. persimilis's range extends from Nebraska to Texas, putting it over 1000 miles outside of its known range.

If anyone could confirm this identification I would greatly appreciate it.
Also if it is D. Persimilis I would love to here some theories as to how it got here.

Attachments

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Manomera blatchleyi, probably the only other native phasmid in PA. Nice find!

Supposedly they’re easier to rear than Diapheromera, and that appears to be a female. If you still have it be sure to keep it.

Records are never a reliable indication of the native range of invertebrate species. If it can be found at the same latitude in the same general area of the landmass there’s no reason why something couldn’t turn up somewhere it hasn’t been recorded.

I’m not sure how the idea got in people’s heads that D. femorata is the only stick insect species in the northeastern US. Some even seem to think it’s the only species in all of North America and therefore the only legal phasmid to keep in any part of the US!

Last edited:

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
@Salmonsaladsandwich I think your right about it being Monomera blatchleyi, it makes way more sense. Is there any visible characteristic that differentiates M. blatchleyi and D. perisimilis?

I can't imagine anything being easier to rear then Diapheromera.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
I've never heard of D. persimilis, and from what I've read it and M. blatchleyi have no solid distinguishing characteristics and might not be separate species at all.

A lot of people have trouble with young nymphs of Diapheromera. How do you rear them? Do you give the eggs a cold period? Do you feed young nymphs cherry or hazelnut instead of oak?

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
I have a feeling it is the same species.

Right now I have the eggs at room temperature and lightly mist them once a week in about a month I will put them in the bottom of my fridge and periodically check to make sure the paper towel they are on does not get moldy. Lightly Mist maybe once every three weeks. Then take the eggs out of the fridge when the weather warms up and mist them about twice a week or whatever it takes to closely match the humidity outside.

I feed the nymphs a combination of wild rose and black oak. I also always cut a few of the leaves for the nymphs

I had 107 eggs from a single female last year, had around 90 eggs hatched, and 76 of those made it to adult.

Johnny Q

Arachnopeon
Yes but it died a few days latter. Looked like it died from pesticide. However, it did lay a few eggs :)