Starting a hiking group to go on centipede trips in AZ.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I've found a few good places to find S. heros in central and southern AZ. I'd like to start a hiking group of AZ local centipede enthusiasts.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm in California, but visit Phoenix and Tuscon several times a year and try to get a little bug hunting in when I'm in the area. I also drove up to Payson to go beetle hunting last fall. S. heros is at the top of my wish list, so if you don't mind a Californian tagging along, I'd love to join you for a hunt some time!

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I'm in California, but visit Phoenix and Tuscon several times a year and try to get a little bug hunting in when I'm in the area. I also drove up to Payson to go beetle hunting last fall. S. heros is at the top of my wish list, so if you don't mind a Californian tagging along, I'd love to join you for a hunt some time!
You are certainly welcome. :happy: PM me when you are coming and we will set up a trip. A lot of Californians are interested in this. Maybe we can do an exchange hiking program, I'm thinking of doing a trip to find some Mytoxia in the Sierras.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Drivers needed for carpooling. 4 wheel drive preferable. I can only carry four passengers. PM me.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having just moved from Arizona, don't discount Prescott and Present Valley for centipede/scorpion hunting potential. I vividly remember finding a small pede with a black body and red head and tail, even though the elevation was over 5,000 feet.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Having just moved from Arizona, don't discount Prescott and Present Valley for centipede/scorpion hunting potential. I vividly remember finding a small pede with a black body and red head and tail, even though the elevation was over 5,000 feet.
Do you want to lead a hike?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you want to lead a hike?
I'm in Florida now, I was just giving you suggestions, that you may have not thought of. ;) but I could get nice pedes right outside my door, scorpions too. (While I was in AZ that is)

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I mainly hike in central and southern Arizona because that is where I am most familiar. I have been thinking about Prescott and Sedona as well as Portal in the South East. What morph were you catching there in Prescott?

Rich Ayrey was diligent enough to compile a photo album of almost every identified species of scorpion in AZ and list the areas they are found. I'm thinking about trying a number of these spots to get a few of the more impressive and rare scorpions of AZ as well as a round about guide for exploring new locations for centipedes.
http://azscorpion.com/

Last edited:

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I went out last night because I had cabin fever only intending to road hunt for an hour at my hot spot. I ended up doing a lot of hiking anyway after I found two Scolopendra heros in a 15 minute period. Missed them both. They have been hanging out right near their burrows. Probably because it is dry. I went for an hour drive at 10:00 pm and ended up coming back at 3:30 am.
Caught:
1-SADDLED LEAF-NOSED SNAKE (Phyllorhynchus browni) First ever!
1-Amblypygid (Paraphrynus carolynae)
2-Aphonopelma chalcodes
1-Unidentified dwarf tarantula (one of the obscure species of AZ)

Saw in the wild:
2-Scolopendra heros
1-Scutigeria house centipede
1- Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum)
Numerous A. chalcodes, Centruroides sculpuratus

I have to go back tonight and release the P. browni. It is a beautiful little snake but it specializes in eating lizard eggs. Can't exactly go to the store and pick those up.

Spidey88

Arachnopeon
Hey, guys - a little late to the party here, but hopefully you see this regardless. I'm Peter - an entomologist and arachnologist from Alberta, and I'm going to be in Arizona from March 14th to 22nd with my friend Stefanie. We're going to be spending a lot of our time out poking around in the desert looking for herptiles and arthropods, and Stefanie is particularly keen on finding some S. heros.

If any of you would be willing to offer some advice as to techniques, where would be best to try and find some, or if you'd be willing to have us tag along on a centipede hike, please let me know - I would be grateful in the extreme, as it would easily make Stefanie's trip! We'll be staying in Apache Junction, but will be traveling around the Phoenix area and making a day trip to Tuscon at the very least.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Hey, guys - a little late to the party here, but hopefully you see this regardless. I'm Peter - an entomologist and arachnologist from Alberta, and I'm going to be in Arizona from March 14th to 22nd with my friend Stefanie. We're going to be spending a lot of our time out poking around in the desert looking for herptiles and arthropods, and Stefanie is particularly keen on finding some S. heros.

If any of you would be willing to offer some advice as to techniques, where would be best to try and find some, or if you'd be willing to have us tag along on a centipede hike, please let me know - I would be grateful in the extreme, as it would easily make Stefanie's trip! We'll be staying in Apache Junction, but will be traveling around the Phoenix area and making a day trip to Tuscon at the very least.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!
I would be happy to show you some territory and give you some pointers on collecting S. heros. PM me to get my number. I live very near Apache Junction. Looking forward to meeting you.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I would be happy to show you some territory and give you some pointers on collecting S. heros. PM me to get my number. I live very near Apache Junction. Looking forward to meeting you.
That sounds like a fun party!

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
I went out last night because I had cabin fever only intending to road hunt for an hour at my hot spot. I ended up doing a lot of hiking anyway after I found two Scolopendra heros in a 15 minute period. Missed them both. They have been hanging out right near their burrows. Probably because it is dry. I went for an hour drive at 10:00 pm and ended up coming back at 3:30 am.
Caught:
1-SADDLED LEAF-NOSED SNAKE (Phyllorhynchus browni) First ever!
1-Amblypygid (Paraphrynus carolynae)
2-Aphonopelma chalcodes
1-Unidentified dwarf tarantula (one of the obscure species of AZ)

Saw in the wild:
2-Scolopendra heros
1-Scutigeria house centipede
1- Gila monster (Heloderma suspectum)
Numerous A. chalcodes, Centruroides sculpuratus

I have to go back tonight and release the P. browni. It is a beautiful little snake but it specializes in eating lizard eggs. Can't exactly go to the store and pick those up.
That's an awesome find! All of it!

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
Yeah, just be sure it's a "group." Not you and some other guy you just met. Just because hiking into the middle of nowhere with him/her could end up badly.. :anxious:

(Remember what your mother preached all those years. :p )