Stag beetle behavior

Defalt

Arachnosquire
Yesterday, I attempted to mate my stag beetles. I just kinda left them overnight (after restraining the jaws of the male of course) and now the female is burrowing into the substrate. I didn't see them mate because they took too long, but I think it is possible that the burrowing is an indication that they did based on my past experience with stag beetles. In this particular case however, the female had the tendency to burrow even before I mated them, but for the past few days she hadn't been burrowing which is why I believe she could have mated when she started burrowing again. Can anyone who has had past experience with stag beetles confirm this observation? Or am I simply observing things that aren't really happening

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
She may be in the dormant period. Sometimes it takes a while to become active. I must ask, what species are you trying to breed and what’s the egg laying container like?

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I am breeding dorcus titanus titanus, the breeding container is packed with flake soil with a piece of white rot wood buried most of the way and I usually keep a piece of fruit in there to keep them satiated

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Also might add this. When I bred my Dorcus titanus palawanicus, the male did not breed with the female right away. They were in a cage of moist sphagnum moss and were hibernating for a few months. After they were done hibernating the male mated with the female daily. All I'd say is be patient and wait to see what happens but be careful, it's easy for the male to kill the female.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
I have tied up the jaws of the male so that he does not kill the female, so I think that the female is at little risk. May I ask how long you left the pair together

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Left them together in the dormant period for about 4 weeks with no issues. Most people don’t get that lucky though.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
wow, that's longer than I would've thought. I sometimes find my female not moving and completely stiff, does this mean she is in the dormant period?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Yes. When they become active they will walk around the cage bumping into the walls. That’s a sign to know that’s it’s time to start the mating.

Defalt

Arachnosquire
it seems my female stag beetle has been scratching at the piece of white rotten wood I placed in her tank and it also looks like she has been attempting to fly as I sometimes see her hanging on the lid of the tank which she is barely able to reach. Is this a good sign that she has mated?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You can not be sure until you actually witness the breeding yourself. It could be possible however. I like to witness the male on top of the female for a few hours so I can ensure the egg laying will be successful.

Tanaksaes

Arachnopeon
If you don’t mind me asking where do you guys get stag beetles in the US? All that I am currently aware of is getting them into the country via EMS from Titan monster beetle shop.