1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

springtails

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by SandDeku, May 22, 2011.

1. LurkingUnderground

LurkingUnderground Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    How do you tell which one is the tropical or temperate springtails?
    Other then collambola that is the only name I get when trying to make sure they are temp rather than tropical... I don't want them to just die from letting the substrate dry out Abit before watering it again. You know and this is the hardest thing to find which is which...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:45 PM
  2. LurkingUnderground

I mean some places list one as collembola and another as Collembola sp. X.x

Also trying to find places that ship to Canada.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:55 PM
  3. LurkingUnderground

I found someone selling them from Toronto Canada. But they are giant tropical. I don't know if that is anything that I am supposed to get. All I know. For the little extra water that a B. Ablopilosum likes temperate ones were suggested.

4. SamanthaMarikian

SamanthaMarikian Arachnopeon Active Member

i think misting would be the best for raising humidity for the T since it doesnt risk spoiling the soil and fungus n all that. idk much about tarantulas and spiders tbh i focus on reptiles and the isopods i have. Why do you need temperate isopods vs the tropical ones? If its temps i think theyd be fine at room temperature bc mine are

5. LurkingUnderground

Because my cages sit at room temperature. Or in a room at currently 20-21°c I don't need heating lamps or anything for my Ts

6. SamanthaMarikian

oooh ok lol yea thats too cold sorry lol. i hope you can find some temperate ones then. Do you have local expos?

7. LurkingUnderground

Not that I know of.

8. SamanthaMarikian

that sucks. if you’re in canada im pretty sure theres one in Ontario or Alberta if its not too far from you. i watched a few videos of it a while back

9. LurkingUnderground

Right in the middle of those two. I live in Manitoba

10. SamanthaMarikian

o ok. good luck finding some!

11. LurkingUnderground

Yeah

12. Polenth

Polenth Arachnosquire Active Member

England
    Pouring water on the substrate doesn't harm the fungi or the soil at all. It's more effective than misting. It doesn't really matter if it's a tarantula or a woodlouse... the microclimate is created from controlling soil moisture and ventilation as appropriate for the species, not by misting water into the air.

I do mist sometimes, but it's mainly drinking water for those without bowls, and when I'm growing moss in the tank. Wetting the soil through misting takes forever.

My room is kept at those temperatures and I have tropical springtails. That species (Folsomia candida) actually has a very wide range. The ones sold as giant white are usually going to be Folsomia candida regardless of whether they're labelled as tropical or temperate. I'd assume when people sell separate cultures, they're saying the springtails came from populations in those climate areas, but it doesn't mean that population can only survive in that climate.

Also, they live in the soil, which is going to be low twenties in most tropical forests. It's a much cooler microclimate than the overall climate of the area. So even if you go for a different species, your temperatures should cover both tropical and temperate with no issues. The same goes for most woodlice. Some like it warmer, but most will be happy at 20-21C. They're down in the soil, not up on the treetops in the sunshine.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LurkingUnderground

Thanks. And yeah I pour it in wait a bit if it needs more I add more. Something the water just sits on top of the soil.

14. LurkingUnderground

oh and not because I am worried the T might drown. more like annoy it?