springtails

SandDeku

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks for the link crysta
I'd breed fruit flies but the substance is always a pain, I've never gotten it right. It's either too watery, or molds, and I'd rather save money than buy the premade kind. I wonder if just fruits will actually work, haha.
If you use just fruits it may work. But IN MY OPINION you MAY wanna dust that up with something that prevents mold growth... and fruit flies like humidity though.. You may be onto something though ;)

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
In the middle of winter. I need to find out if I got any springtails in our house. I could probably use them for my cages. mostly because every time I give them food I don't get to find their discards till the next day which is when it always molds. And for the B. Ablopilosum it would be likely benificben to find out how wet the soil needs to be. I been going like. For a 16+ deli cup. I would put in three teaspoons or so of water and let the substrate soak it up. Maybe I am adding to much and even if I were to use a spray bottle. I would not know how wet the little guy would need. I heard that the Grammostola pulchripes is more of a dry one. And so I don't really add much more then just a water dish. Still would likely need to get a spray bottle. I got a few but they are washed out cleaning bottles and not sure if they will be safe enough and washed out enough.
If I am watering the substrate too much then I guess I don't need any temperate/local springs but if a weekly(roughly) wetting is ok then I need to get some springs. Just to help deal with mould. And sadly B. Ablopilosum is about 2"+ and went and grabbed a breeder box medium. Which is too big and too small. I might use it for meal worm breeding? I forgot if what I read was they needed a container with light exposure. Currently I just shuved them into a imperial margarine container.
Anyway I am looking at controlling the mold that is growing in the cages.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
In the middle of winter. I need to find out if I got any springtails in our house. I could probably use them for my cages. mostly because every time I give them food I don't get to find their discards till the next day which is when it always molds. And for the B. Ablopilosum it would be likely benificben to find out how wet the soil needs to be. I been going like. For a 16+ deli cup. I would put in three teaspoons or so of water and let the substrate soak it up. Maybe I am adding to much and even if I were to use a spray bottle. I would not know how wet the little guy would need. I heard that the Grammostola pulchripes is more of a dry one. And so I don't really add much more then just a water dish. Still would likely need to get a spray bottle. I got a few but they are washed out cleaning bottles and not sure if they will be safe enough and washed out enough.
If I am watering the substrate too much then I guess I don't need any temperate/local springs but if a weekly(roughly) wetting is ok then I need to get some springs. Just to help deal with mould. And sadly B. Ablopilosum is about 2"+ and went and grabbed a breeder box medium. Which is too big and too small. I might use it for meal worm breeding? I forgot if what I read was they needed a container with light exposure. Currently I just shuved them into a imperial margarine container.
Oh and originally I was thinking of getting woodlice but was informed that they might attack the molting T's.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Oh and originally I was thinking of getting woodlice but was informed that they might attack the molting T's.
If you get dwarf isopods they'll be fine, just some of the larger species have been known to 'munch' on freshly molted inverts.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
If you get dwarf isopods they'll be fine, just some of the larger species have been known to 'munch' on freshly molted inverts.
Ok so then I would be good that I did not go with. A. Depressum. The kind I liked.

Edit: If going with Tarantulacanada.ca website which ones they have would be the ones to get? So I can pick out my favorite. If I can safely use them. That is.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Or I can just list off the names...
Trichorhina tomentosa
Trichoniscidae sp
Porcellionides pruinosus, wait. This one is 12mm so not the "dwarf" kind that leaves the first two right?

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
i use dwarf white isopods and springtails for my tropical bioactive enclosures. What food are you feeding that molds THAT quickly? The dwarf whites i have are really good with really wet soil bc my timor loves her water and gets water everywhere and the isopods are thriving. Theyre really hardy and are keeping up with mold growing in all of my tropical enclosures including the one for my scolopendra spinosissma and he doesnt seem to mind them at all

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
i use dwarf white isopods and springtails for my tropical bioactive enclosures. What food are you feeding that molds THAT quickly? The dwarf whites i have are really good with really wet soil bc my timor loves her water and gets water everywhere and the isopods are thriving. Theyre really hardy and are keeping up with mold growing in all of my tropical enclosures including the one for my scolopendra spinosissma and he doesnt seem to mind them at all
Meal worms. The only dwarf I can find for sale are the purple and I guess white? Clear? I don't know.
These guys
Trichorhina tomentosa
Trichoniscidae sp

It gets mouldy like after one or two days?

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Meal worms. The only dwarf I can find for sale are the purple and I guess white? Clear? I don't know.
These guys
Trichorhina tomentosa
Trichoniscidae sp

if its not eaten within one id switch out for new food. Or feeding live mealworms. idk much about isopods eating dead mealworms or lots of mold but springtails might help with the mold. or increasing ventilation so mold doesnt grownas fast

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
These guys
Trichorhina tomentosa
Trichoniscidae sp

if you’re feeding the mealworms which now that i read it again is i think what you meant idk if isopods can live in a mealworm bin but might be wrong. if you feed them smaller quantities of a food or switch to something that doesnt mold as quickly and get more ventilation it should solve your problem

Polenth

Arachnobaron
These guys
Trichorhina tomentosa
Trichoniscidae sp

Trichorhina tomentosa are dwarf white isopods, white tropical woodlice, and various other common names like that. They tend to stay in the soil and they're small. No woodlice are completely safe, but they're less likely to eat living things. They're the ones people are recommending to you.

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
Trichorhina tomentosa are dwarf white isopods, white tropical woodlice, and various other common names like that. They tend to stay in the soil and they're small. No woodlice are completely safe, but they're less likely to eat living things. They're the ones people are recommending to you.

yeah i rarely see mine out and about except to move to another log to chill under.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
if you’re feeding the mealworms which now that i read it again is i think what you meant idk if isopods can live in a mealworm bin but might be wrong. if you feed them smaller quantities of a food or switch to something that doesnt mold as quickly and get more ventilation it should solve your problem
Oh no I meant I was feeding the T's meal worms

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
oh why are they molding then? If theyre alive at least. I think you need some more ventilation bc i’ve never seen them mold
Haha oh. No no. The discarded remains molds on my 8/10 times before I can find it. As in the spider has finished and threw it away. But the "empty juice box" is so squished it is hard to find anyway. 5/8 mm?

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
I went with the purple dwarf. I hope that is ok?

Edit Trichoniscidae sp (purple dwarf) like 6mm?
Purple is my favorite colour so I hope they are still ok.
Haha oh. No no. The discarded remains molds on my 8/10 times before I can find it. As in the spider has finished and threw it away. But the "empty juice box" is so squished it is hard to find anyway. 5/8 mm?
Oooh ok lol. I think the dwarf purples you got and springtails should help with the mold and help with the remains once they reproduce.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
Oooh ok lol. I think the dwarf purples you got and springtails should help with the mold and help with the remains once they reproduce.
I think everyone said go with the dwarfs because I can't seem to find the right kind of springtails. Everyone has tropical and I was told I need temperate.

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
i just googled them and someone is selling them on eBay
In Canada? It might be the same one. But I think they were USA based and not able to sell to Canada or something. Because cause I been having trouble.

Oh also i only have a Grammostola pulchripes. A brachypelma Ablopilosum and soon a brachypelma Boehmei. Only the B. A so far is the one I have that needs moist substrate. I basically water their cage till the substrate has soaked the water up with out over doing it. I probably should get a spray bottle. Even if I have some empty cleaning bottles, like Windex or something, I don't know if they are washed enough so I might get a new one. But mostly I just been pouring water in. And letting it be absorbed by the soil.

Last edited: