Springtails in T enclosures, yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have two cultures of them but have never put them in an enclosure. Im not even sure why I have them at this point.

sasker

Arachnoprince
I stopped having any mite problems in the enclosures that were prone to getting them. So yes, springtails are very beneficial.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
They're only useful in the more humid enclosures (e.g. T. stirmi, E. murinus, E. uatuman, etc.) because they require higher humidity to survive. Mold can and does grow in semi-dry enclosures, so you're out of luck when it comes to those setups.

Overall, I like them. They keep mold outbreaks to a minimum, and any outbreaks that do happen are resolved very quickly by adding in a few spoonfulls of the springtails. But they're far from a necessity.

AngelDeVille

Fuk Da Meme Police
If they do no harm, and give you something else to stare at in the enclosure, why not?

I have a T. Stirmi on the way so some preemptive springtails may end up in the enclosure.

Ztesch

Arachnoknight
I was getting mold in my A. Seemani's burrow and once I rehoused her I put some White Isopods in and I Havent had any problems with mold since. The Isopods are really thriving in her enclosure. If needed, I will spoon a good amount of them out to another enclosure.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I have springtails in all my humid enclosures for the T's and dwarf isopods in some of the other invert enclosures and have no mold problems. I prefer springtails for the T's , I don't trust isopods in with them no matter how small.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
They appear out of thin air in my enclosures just like magic so I don't have a choice.