Springtails and USPS

Keke713

Arachnoknight
Ok so I ordered a couple items from Josh’s frogs on September 11th. Collembola springtails and some vivarium plants were among my purchases. Well these were to arrive today via USPS. Well apparently my mail box was blocked because my yard guy happened to be here at the arrival of my packages. Therefore she didn’t even attempt to deliver or ring my bell. Which IMO is complete bs but that’s besides the point. Well now I have to wait till Monday to pick them up from the post office. Do you think springtails and plants will be alive and well by then?

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's extremely hot out and shipping springs and isos have been difficult for me this time of the year. Joshs frogs is a well known company and has tons of experience shipping in all weather... so they're going to have cold packs for sure. That being said, its hit or miss depending on how well the cold pack holds up... I know from their reviews that joshs frogs Springtail cultures are "short" on Springtails. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but if you have a lot of die-off due to the heat then you may be stuck with very few to replenish the culture.

Let us know how it turns out.

JoP

Arachnosquire
How'd it turn out, OP? I had a similar issue with USPS when I ordered springtails from Josh's (not the seller's fault), and I will say that my springtail culture "appeared" dead when I first unboxed it. But I gave it an hour or so with the lid off to help off-gas any built-up CO2 inside, and then also added some food and water, and it was bursting at the seams with springtails within a few days. So even if it looks inactive when you unbox it, try that first, because they may surprise you.

Keke713

Arachnoknight
How'd it turn out, OP? I had a similar issue with USPS when I ordered springtails from Josh's (not the seller's fault), and I will say that my springtail culture "appeared" dead when I first unboxed it. But I gave it an hour or so with the lid off to help off-gas any built-up CO2 inside, and then also added some food and water, and it was bursting at the seams with springtails within a few days. So even if it looks inactive when you unbox it, try that first, because they may surprise you.
I followed those exact same instructions and still to this day nothing. I live in Texas and the temps have been in the 90s the past couple days. I’ve already spoken with Josh’s Frogs and they were so understanding. My new order of springtails (free of charge) will be delivered tomorrow! Couldn’t be more happier with the customer service I received from Josh’s frogs!

JoP

Arachnosquire
I followed those exact same instructions and still to this day nothing. I live in Texas and the temps have been in the 90s the past couple days. I’ve already spoken with Josh’s Frogs and they were so understanding. My new order of springtails (free of charge) will be delivered tomorrow! Couldn’t be more happier with the customer service I received from Josh’s frogs!
Ah, bummer. I just had some springtails arrive (in TX) 2 weeks ago and the process I described worked for mine. But shipping them can always be iffy, especially with how hot it gets here, so I'm glad Josh's Frogs is sending you some replacements! In my experience, they always have great customer service.