Spreading the love of inverts w/my T's!

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm presently working towards Master's in biology with a certification in adolescent education and special ed. Part of this involves doing over 100 hours of observation in classrooms. Well, I was observing a high school bio class that is currently doing a unit on evolution, and thought it would be fun to bring in some inverts and amphibians to illustrate the unique physical and behavioral adaptations they have for their survival.

Yesterday I packed up a big cooler full of critters and did a 30-40min presentation for the class. It was a great experience; the students were extremely responsive and interested despite the fact that many are classified as low achievers or having behavioral problems.

Among other "creepy crawlies," I brought my B. albopilosum and A. avicularia to compare some of the adaptations that arboreal and terrestrial T's have. At the start of the presentation many of the kids were nervous to even be in the same room as the tarantulas, but by the time it was over they were coming up for a closer look, asking questions, and even commenting on how pretty/interesting they are. One kid who was especially afraid of the tarantulas crept up to the desk at the very end of the period to have a better look at the pink toe and I caught a little smile.

It was a great opportunity to talk about the importance of arachnids to the environment and also dispell some myths about them being deadly and vicious. A lot of them really thought that the T's were these huge, deadly, super-venemous beasts that were waiting to kill you in your sleep; what they saw instead was a curly hair grooming her feet and webbing her kritter keeper, and an avic that more than anything just wanted to hide somewhere safe and less exposed.

So, hooray for Bashkir and Bailar, my B. albopilosum and A. avicularia for helping me spread understanding and respect for T's to young people! I couldn't be more proud of my little beasts :clap:

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Congratulations Ren. I have done about 25 such presentations just for fun at local schools, daycares and other such institutions. It is a great experience and the kids go nuts. I have NEVER had a bad experience.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thats really cool Ren. :clap: Anytime a group (no matter the size or age) can be taught the positive side to arachnids and dispel some of the myths and "fear of the unkown" concerning these fascinating creatures, its a good thing! I wish I had the time and a heap more knowledge so that I could do the same.
I have done this on a much smaller scale with my kids friends when they come over and a few of my co-workers. They all know at work not to automatically stomp the spiders or occasional millipedes that appear in the hallway, they just call me and I'll take them outside and release them. Last Summer I even was called to capture a small garter snake that was found in a bathroom. It was about 8"and no thicker than a pencil, they said it was huge-lol{D !

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awsome, Poeple need to learn about T's. Also think it's great that you are working with kid's that are challenged. Both my daughter's learned sign language and helped with the kids at lunch and feild trips and such.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good job Ren!Id love to do something like that one day :]

Boanerges

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's awsome and i am glad all went well :clap: :clap: :clap:

halfwaynowhere

Arachnolord
Old Timer
its so cool to see kids' faces light up when they get to see something different, and I'm sure that presenting in front of an older audience (high school) is very rewarding because you don't have to dumb down all the scientific mumbo jumbo for them, lol.

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great story. :)

I also want to say that "Bashkir" is an awesome name for a B. albo. :)

IrishKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
very awesome stroy ren!! bravo,i too want to educate people on Ts one day,already since i firist got into Ts,i have got ALOT of people unscared of spiders,and are more respectful:)