Spraying for Black Widows/Roaches?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
As the saying goes, if you have to ask... I am not about to give you a sales pitch about using a powerful oxidizer in a home. In the case of the trailer, bleaching everything in the place, causing plastics to degrade, turning all organic substances degrees of white and so on, causing all iron and steel, even stainless steel to start rusting, ... think of filling your entire washing machine with straight bleach, only stronger. All organisms down to bacteria are killed, along with all your cotton clothes and your plastic or polymer clothes will be degraded to some degree.

On the other hand, nicotine is not all that effective. Many insects are resistant or immune to the stuff. Think about those caterpillars contentedly munching away on tobacco leaves. Additionally, bug bombs are useless for penetrating cracks and crevices and spiders, especially latrodecus in their hides, are unlikely to be effected at all. Likewise, in places like carpets with zero air circulation, it is very hit or miss and mostly miss. And of course, it is not latent so eggs will not be affected.

I wish people could see the fire science training videos of where gasses and vapors can or can't penetrate. The sales pitches about bug bombs are pure BS when they claim it will kill bugs inside walls. It will, if they come out into free air circulation.
The reason why commercial fumigants work is the chemicals are extremely powerful. Much too powerful to be available to persons untrained in the handling and release. One of the ultimate nightmare scenarios all rescue workers hear horror stories about. Someone getting their hands on a commercial fumigant, setting it off then OH NO! THE BABY IS STILL IN THE CRIB or GRANDMA IS STILL IN HER ROOM... it can't penetrate through the door, can it?

Last edited:

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Well I squished em already. I feel really bad too...:bigtears:
The closest I could find online that resembled them was a Latrodectus hesperus. They might have been brown widows. I don't know, their hour glass was white. They were mostly in cabinets and under closet shelves. If I see another, I'll take a picture.

This is one I've left in the bathroom for now.
View attachment 210401
No idea what it is though it looks pretty nifty, like stained glass.

We have the gel and have put it around the house. I'm trying to convince my wife not to spray inside...:anxious:
Some kind if Steadota

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
A house full of roaches here in Albuquerque, naw not here:shy:
Anyway. I use a Combat bait that comes in a gel. Just keep using it. It does work. Takes time. 8 bucks at wallyworld.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My suggestion, move your tarantulas out of the house and call in a professional cleaning crew and pest management company. If the place isn't clean then the bugs and their predators will most likely come back eventually. Depending on your agreement with the landlord, look into sticking them with the bill. That's just outrageous someone would rent a property to someone and their kids that wasn't clean and pest free. There is a bias here to save the widow spiders and all other spiders living in the house, but the comfort and peace of mind of having a clean and pest free home for you and your kids should come first. If the spiders (the "wild" ones that is) have to go along with the roaches, I say so be it.
Is sad, but here's my response: Welcome to Albuquerque.
The owner has been less than receptive about doing even legally mandatory fixes. I personally have had to fix the dishwasher, garage door, electrical receptacles, dryer vent, weed the entire back yard, change one set of locks that didn't match the rest of the house, hire someone to clean the carpets, etc....

I've put that gel stuff around the house and have now been finding dead roaches everywhere (better than alive I guess).

I've left a few of the cellar spiders in my garage to keep me company...

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Is sad, but here's my response: Welcome to Albuquerque.
The owner has been less than receptive about doing even legally mandatory fixes. I personally have had to fix the dishwasher, garage door, electrical receptacles, dryer vent, weed the entire back yard, change one set of locks that didn't match the rest of the house, hire someone to clean the carpets, etc....

I've put that gel stuff around the house and have now been finding dead roaches everywhere (better than alive I guess).

I've left a few of the cellar spiders in my garage to keep me company...
Just keep putting that bait out.
Can you take some legal action?
I let the "widders" stay outside, and allow only a couple inside. Cellar spiders. Good luck.

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As others have said, the spiders aren't Latrodectus. Just gently move them out if the cobwebs are a bother.

For the roaches, the bait and a LIGHT boric acid perimeter where you see the roaches frequenting might help. Don't make like a wall of boric acid though. You want them to crawl in it and get it on them, not walk around it. Also, cut off their water source by checking for drip under every sink, each toilet, etc. Shut off their food by only eating in a designated area- don't let the kids carry food all over for a while. Clean up crumbs promptly.
These steps might work.
Maybe. Invasive roaches are hard to get rid of.

What definitely won't work is buying a bunch of canned garbage that's toxic to your kids and spraying it everywhere. It's bad for your family, and roaches laugh at that stuff.

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
I would have too look it up but there was a oil that the spiders hate ..I think it was peppermint ..

MossMan

Arachnopeon
My house is absolutely crawling with spiders. They're everywhere! The only spiders I don't tolerate are Sydney funnel webs. There's so many redbacks and white tails that I can't even be bothered relocating them anymore. The only place more spider infested on the property is the chook shed, but those spiders end up as chicken food as soon as they touch the ground so it's no big deal. I've just learnt to tolerate them, even the latros are alright as long as they're not near my bed.

But cockroaches? Oh no way are you living in my house!