Spot Cleaning Enclosure

LarsCody

Arachnosquire
Recently I’ve noticed my first little splotch of tarantula excrement. For those who have never seen it, it looks like a tiny white pinhead/tomato seed. As I had already given fresh water for the night, I didn’t want to disturb the T anymore so I figured I’d get it the next day. Next day rolls around - can’t find it in its spot and it’s either blended with the sub or just rolled in sub so that it’s now unnoticeable. Is this something that regularly happens? A lot of videos I watch have enclosures so minimalist that it would be impossible for the owners to spot clean them due to the sheer lack of size and the decor taking up most space.

Secondly my B. Albo was fed tonight as well. A regular large cricket, but slightly smaller than it was used to. Since the prey was captured near the T’s hide the tarantula did its “happy dance” in the hide. While the cricket was eaten quickly out in the open I didn’t catch the end of the feeding so I don’t know if there was a bolus or not. Given this T’s record of eating the whole meal I’m not too worried. Doesn’t like to leave leftovers. Unless it dragged the bolus into its hide. The hide is a cork slab angled with a burrow that I hand scooped upon recently rehousing and my Albo just started using it in the past couple days. When I came back into the room it wasn’t eating and its abdomen/rear legs were facing outward with its carapace and legs working away inside.

I’m led to believe the tarantula was just making a house a home since it would inch further and further into the hide. But is it possible for the hide to become a boneyard for discarded prey? I really don’t think there is a bolus in there as the T was putting in work in that little burrow for hours afterward. I can’t exactly pull up the hide because I buried the back half for stability and the T solidified the work by webbing around back in addition to the entire substrate everywhere. Even trying to pick what *i think* would be a piece of waste or dirt off of the sub results in the whole thing raising like a piece of carpet.

Also, is it even necessary to completely replace sub every about 6 months? Lots of online guides say to do it but it seems to me like destroying the T’s work just because it’s not to my liking...with disregard of how comfortable the T has made itself. In my research the only sub replacement comes with a rehouse for more space, completely uncontrollable mold, etc.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No, you never have to replace sub, just take bolus out snd clean the sides from poop! In fact the longer a tarantula stays in the same sub the more it will be set in, and flourish! New sub means "new scents, new enviroments and more stress!"
There is one instance when change sub is ok snd that is when you rehouse a growing tarantula into something bigger. But you can save the sub and use in the bigger enclosure. Changing sub is an old idea. I have never understood it! Substrate is dirt, and is never going to be dirtier by age! Changing it into "fresh" is only a negative thing!

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Literally... no. To all of it.

You don't have to replace the substrate. As Vanisher said, doing so disturbs the spider immensely.

You don't have to remove poop, boluses, mites or mold.

If you are really worried about "cleanliness" then you can add some isopods to eat decaying organic matter.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes! Mites are only a problem when they are exploading out of control! Then they can by shear number stress a tarantula. If they are under normal number, they are a non problem! I bet every moist terrarium have mites!? Take some soil under a microscope and ill bet there will be mites!?

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What you're describing is all very normal. Sometimes you will find boluses, sometimes not. Sometimes you will notice waste, sometimes not. I like to clean those sorts of things out as I see them for aesthetic and cleanliness reasons (mold, mites, bacteria, etc... a bit here and there won't harm your spiders but if I see someone with filthy mold and mite infested enclosures I think that says something) but there's no need to tear apart the enclosures trying to find every little scrap. Do what you can and don't stress about keeping things 100% perfectly clean every second. Like others are saying, absolutely no need to regularly replace "old" substrate if everything else is fine. I've noticed the coco fiber can start getting very fine and almost dust-like after several years, but even then I will let it be absent other problems.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exploading mite infestation is a sign tjat a tank is to moist, with too poor ventilation! Let a tank dry out once in a while is a good advise

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
but if I see someone with filthy mold and mite infested enclosures I think that says something
What does it say, exactly? And what about it makes it "filthy?"

I have plenty of enclosures with different types of mold, and often see boluses being consumed by mites (and the isopods I have put in enclosures).

LarsCody

Arachnosquire
Thank you all! The environment is always dry #1 due to the climate I live in and #2 I have a ceiling fan that runs pretty frequently that works to stir up the air in the room so ventilation and air circulation are great imo. Excess water evaporates within hours

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When i had a woodlice breeding tank i often dumpt the boluses in there

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What does it say, exactly? And what about it makes it "filthy?"
Filthy is in the eye of the beholder!;)

I think it says that the keeper doesn’t spend much time cleaning the enclosures and maybe doesn’t care too much about their aesthetic appearance. Which isn’t bad per se... that’s just not how I like to keep my spiders. I think it’s pretty much impossible to completely avoid mites and mold!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Filthy is in the eye of the beholder!;)

I think it says that the keeper doesn’t spend much time cleaning the enclosures and maybe doesn’t care too much about their aesthetic appearance. Which isn’t bad per se... that’s just not how I like to keep my spiders. I think it’s pretty much impossible to completely avoid mites and mold!
Haha definitely!

Well, that all is very true for me in a way! I do care about their appearance, but not in a "spotless, sterile environment" way... I like them to look more "natural" (yeah, yeah... anti-naturalistic folks, I've heard ya :p). I like the clean up crews and the "chaos."

I DID rehouse a T out of an enclosure that she had been in for years because it got too "dirty" even for my taste... the sub was basically just boluses and wings from mature male dubia :rofl: So I took the opportunity to upgrade her as well.

LarsCody

Arachnosquire
Update: found a little white “rock” near the T’s water dish tonight and plucked it with tweezers (it was hard enough and didn’t crumble into dust - like most things I think are waste). Am I doing it right?

Another question....since the sub is so webbed up, last night during feeding time the cricket got pounced under the sub for a couple minutes. What I’m assuming was that since the sub was so sticky, it pulled up in that exact moment the T pounced and the cricket got buried for a couple minutes. The T was in a curled clutching pose with its entire front half, seeming as dumbfounded over what just happened as I was. Then the T walked away, the cricket got itself unburied, and business as usual. Anybody ever see something like this? I like to monitor feeding time to make sure no injuries are incurred and until the cricket emerged had no clue what flashed in front of my eyes.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I hope your not supposed to change substrate cus I have some t's that havent been changed in over 3 years

Cesily

Arachnopeon
Yes! Mites are only a problem when they are exploading out of control! Then they can by shear number stress a tarantula. If they are under normal number, they are a non problem! I bet every moist terrarium have mites!? Take some soil under a microscope and ill bet there will be mites!?
Define "normal number" and "out of control"
... in my mind, they are very very difficult to see, so if they are seen, then there are probably too many. Is that an accurate assessment?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you see one or 100 it is no big deal! If you see thousands of them, and or if the tarantula gets disturbed, like it try to scrape them off from itself all the time. In those case i think the mites ate stressing tarantula, and substrate should be changed!