Split enclosure failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I used the statement as an example of a "Us or Them" statement which it is. It was the first example that popped into my noodle when I was writing. I'm not trying to pin anything on anyone. I didn't quote you for a reason.

I didn't even quote you and see how quickly you felt the need to defend yourself? Now image your new here and multiple people are all having a go at you. What reaction do you think you would have? Is it any wonder people turn hostile?

What does politically correct have to do with not being rude? People were able to be rude (or not) long before anyone coined the term politically correct. Now it's a catch all phrase used when people think they are being called out for their actions. When did being decent to other people make a person politically correct?

I wasn't calling anyone out or trying to pin anything one anyone (not even CB who I did quote).
Your post gave me the feeling I should have pat OP on the head and say 'doesn't matter, better luck next time'. I'm glad you didn't mean to pin things in me, maybe I was too quick with my reaction. I was genuinely upset about OP's mistake, which I think is not weird.

As to the terms politically correct and such, I didn't mean it like you were saying. My english is decent, but figures of speech are sometimes hard. What I meant was I got the feeling that I wasn't allowed to vent my anger unless I would sugarcoat it to the point that none of my feelings were readable anymore. I am not a robot. And the way OP reacted to my posts prior to my post about him possibly trolling ticked me off even more.

Like others said, if it was an honest mistake, a newbie mistake, I wouldn't have been this upset. I like helping people up here, I like making people feel appreciated and been taken seriously. Until someone just walzes all over that, and makes inappropriate jokes about it on top of it.
If OP wasn't trying to be funny or made light of his situation after the mistakes he made, I wouldn't have fired like I did. And when someone calls you out, calling names and swearing, I really don't feel I owe that person anything anymore. He apologized, which was nice, and we had a good convo later.

Usually, I agree with you when you point me towards language I used that was unnecessary harsh. But this time I feel I was entitled to being angry and venting that without being mrs-nice. ;)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I used the statement as an example of a "Us or Them" statement which it is.
I don't think that's what she meant, only just trying to thank the members who stood up for her when she was called a name. Not trying to segregate two groups...

This thread is not a "us vs them" situation, I don't feel like I need to pick a side to have a point of view on the matter. Im sure you can understand why several members would share the same opinion on this especially after offering advice only to see it ignored and result in the death of an animal.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Okay...somehow I am the one being rude and not caring now...
@Rachel C
I cared more for his animals than him. I'm having a good conversation with him in private, and I explained why I was so mad. It wasn't because he didn't listen, it was because he made light of the situation by pranking people about getting an H.lividum. I realise this wasn't viewable for members here, but you can ask @Aaronsp10 how that went.

@Trenor seriously? You are going to pike this on me because of 'thanks for having my back' ?
I was simply thanking the people who defended me because OP decided to go the cussing route on me. How does me defending myself suddenly make me the bad one here. Maybe I should have worded it differently, but don't I have the right to be angry because someone loses an animal because of sheer stupidity (sorry @Aaronsp10 , we made up, I know, but I need to make my point clear by telling how I felt).
I think I am allowed to be angry. A life is lost. And at that point, maybe the female's as well.
You can also read that I turned the tone completely different, and that the thread evolved into fun and games.
I know you are of peace, like Chris likes to say, but when an animal is lost and OP seems to not care (SEEMS), you'll get heated conversations and posts. I wasn't the only one who was angry, so I don't think my replies were that far off.
I usually take care with my words, but that doesn't mean I need to bite my tongue to stay politically correct when faced with an animal's death because of an unneeded mistake.

In general. The mods can clean up this thread so only the valuable posts remain. I think it is great when a heated discussion which could've gone waaaay worse was turned into friendly and useful posts.
I never said that. Lol. All I said was I don't see an animals death as a punishment and I wish people didnt refer to it as that. It isn't a personal attack against you and I never said you were rude. Just don't like it when people refer to death as a punishment.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Do you have vegitarian Theraposidae?
There's a difference between using animals to feed others and having an animal accidentally eat another. I respect that feeder animals are animals too actually. I know there's a circle of life with animals and prey. I just hate to see something like this happen when it isn't a predator prey situation but rather a territory situation that could have been prevented.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I never said that. Lol. All I said was I don't see an animals death as a punishment and I wish people didnt refer to it as that. It isn't a personal attack against you and I never said you were rude. Just don't like it when people refer to death as a punishment.
Thank you for the clarification ;)
I don't get angry easy, but this mistake infuriated me for exactly that reason.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Caseyface what did you not like about my post? Or did you hit the wrong button?
@Andrea82 - Most definitely an accident. I thought I undid it and resubmitted. I'll go check. My fat fingers don't get along very well with the little buttons while on mobile. :( Sorry about any confusion there! This whole thread made me sick last night. Sick. And then as I kept reading, angry.

I have only been in the hobby for about three months, which is nothing compared to how long many of you have been in. You all are a cornucopia of facts, tips, and advice. I have learned so much, because I am actively trying to learn more. I want to be better. I want to provide the best care of my animals. I have yet to lose any of my Ts, though I know it will happen at some point. No one is perfect and mistakes happen, but, many of those mistakes can be avoided with light research.

My heart is broken for the girlfriend who lost her loved pet. A new T of any kind can't simply "replace it."

I have a lot of feelings here, and I know that people wanted to shut this down, aka turn the lights off, so I just bit my tongue.
Wow. Just wow.

On a side note, @Aaronsp10, you are in my area. I live just north of Seattle. I actually have been to that Bridge's you pictured(not that we have many options up here). If you need a local person to offer advice, you know where to find me, show you some ropes. I'm just a newbie too, but I think I have a thing or two to teach ya. :)

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
I had the idea a few months back to build a conjoined enclosure to save space, but I can say that if one was to build a conjoined enclosure, it's best to do it with M.balfouri, or P.fasciata. Or other species that have successfully been kept communally. That way, the worse case scenario would be that you just have a communal set up happen.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't think that's what she meant, only just trying to thank the members who stood up for her when she was called a name. Not trying to segregate two groups...

This thread is not a "us vs them" situation, I don't feel like I need to pick a side to have a point of view on the matter. Im sure you can understand why several members would share the same opinion on this especially after offering advice only to see it ignored and result in the death of an animal.
You didn't read it that way... ok fair enough. Still wasn't the point of the rant.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I had the idea a few months back to build a conjoined enclosure to save space, but I can say that if one was to build a conjoined enclosure, it's best to do it with M.balfouri, or P.fasciata. Or other species that have successfully been kept communally. That way, the worse case scenario would be that you just have a communal set up happen.
I know of more than one P fasciata that has eaten its mate.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
The point I was trying to make is when you go in with guns a-blazing (regardless of your feelings of justification) you shouldn't be surprised when someone shoots back. Also, when you make posts filled with hard, biting words (again regardless of if you feel justified or not) don't be surprised when your viewed in a negative manor.

After someone admits to their mistake then rubbing their nose in it further is just for your benefit not theirs or the animals.

Finally (this was the main point of my rant), if I have to read your post in an odd way (like say porky pig was speaking) to make it should less bad then it was pretty bad.

This is still in general and not pointed at anyone so lets not make it about you.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
This is still in general and not pointed at anyone so lets not make it about you.
Wow. Okay. Talking about biting.
If you didn't mean to make it about me, you shouldn't have quoted me in the first place. But okay, I'm not any more willing then you to make this thread any longer. You don't get me, and I don't get you. I'm calling it quits ;)

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I didn't have you in mind when I wrote the original post or the content of the last post. That was the first example that popped in my head when I was writing. I didn't even bother to go back a quote you because I was speaking in general. Maybe I should have went back and checked then add you beside CB in the bottom disclaimer.

Wow. Okay. Talking about biting.
If you didn't mean to make it about me, you shouldn't have quoted me in the first place. But okay, I'm not any more willing then you to make this thread any longer. You don't get me, and I don't get you. I'm calling it quits ;)
Though the post was in general, you're right that last line is harsh. I apologize.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
After following this thread for a couple of days, I just have this to say:
Regardless of the poop storm that this thread brought, I, for one as a newbie, definitely learned from OP's unfortunate mistake. I have been toying with the idea of a split sling enclosure using a beta tank I have (never got past the "hmm, I wonder..." stage, but I've still thought about it), and I'm glad that the OP shared his mistake because I was able to learn from it, as well. So this thread has helped at least this newb avoid making the same mistake. ;)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Trenor
Thank you.
@Chris LXXIX , I'm sure it is meant to be comforting...but anything that comes out of that guys mouth sounds like he's cursing us heathens....:D
Appreciate the effort though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.