Split enclosure failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caseyface

Arachnosquire
@Trenor, ah, I really want to love that post, which I did for a little bit there, but I also want to award you for that mountain of ridiculousness aka a wall of my quotes. :rolleyes:

I'll post some pictures soon. :) Slimax is a pretty cool dude, even for a slug. I like watching their pneumostome, which is that hole on their mantle, how they breathe. It opens and closes. It is very interesting to witness.:cool:

I agree, it is always nice to have a back-up plan...and I guess, for the limax maximus, in reproduction. :wacky::watchingyou::astonished:

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
nobody is calling him stupid because he made a mistake.
they are saying that because he very specifically asked "can this be done" and when people said "no, please don't try or this _____ will happen"
and when he didn't listen to a single person, it DID happen.

not to be insulting to him but it IS stupid. now i say this literally from personal experience. i ALSO learned a hard lesson with my OBT.

i came to this site, i asked advised about owning a OBT and was told repeatedly at the time, NOT to do it, to hold off, to wait until I'm ready and so on.
did i listen? no i didn't, i figured id try it out.

well all was good for a while until he grew, and grew, and grew and before i knew it i had a 5" OBT i struggled to handle because i didn't know what i was getting into. Basicly i got bit, spent the night in the hospital, had 2 weeks of unbelievable pain and intense muscle cramps, and so fourth.

i basicly came and asked for advice, i directly ignored it and literally exactly what i was told would happen, did happen.
was i stupid for that? 100%. i was a complete idiot, and me(and I'm sure the OP now too) will probably never make the mistake of ignoring good advise again.
what separates this from the OP's situation is this:
Mine? it affected me and my wallet.
his? it effected him, the other tarantula, His GF and the living T who was injured.

nobody here is being purposefully malicious but basicly, like everyones seen 100 times, it was time to give him a little "i told you so". its just frustrating from the experienced persons point of view, time after time to see new T owners come with what are actually very good questions, and be given VERY good honest answers only to see them ignore it(i mean why ask if you don't care for the response anyway?) and to see the ANIMALS suffer. to see Other pets suffer and to see the people effected suffer, literally over something that COULD and SHOULD have been prevented.

Sure the T;s life doesn't seem important, but replace the "don't use a Duel set up" with saying "don't let your dog roam the neighbor hood without a leash" and the dead tarantulas life with it being a dead dog because of your negligence instead, would you being telling people to not call what happened stupid? probably not.

*Edited Due to People apparently being a little extra sensitive today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So grumpy! I need one of these in my life.
I have one, but I must say she's rather laid back so far. She just retreats to her burrow whenever I touch the enclosure. I'm sure that'll change if I have to rehouse her though...:p

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Jesus Christ guys :D This thread has bigger mood swings than a pregnant 80 year old grannie in menopause :pompous:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Sure the T;s life doesn't seem important, but replace the "don't use a Duel set up" with saying "don't drive drunk" and switch the dead "Tarantula" with a "human", would you THEN be telling us to take it easy and not call him stupid?
both are preventable situations and both effect a living organism that, otherwise probably would still be alive.
Oddly, I had thought about the very same "don't drive drunk" analogy, but didn't use it. I also agree that nobody thought the person was stupid, but the action was a poor decision considering that it had been strongly advised against, and given the combined experience of keepers on here, it is always frustrating to have good advice ignored.

All that said, it was probably unnecessary for this particular case to be brought up again, the OP took his lumps and it was over.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Yup lumps recieved. Now i have a really good group of guys and girls from the pacnw that have taken me under their wing and i have a nice little collection of 22 t's and am doing just fine...

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I actually found this thread extremely useful, I am a somewhat newer owner and a guy at an expo tried to sell me a tank with 5 dividers in it. I'm glad to know now that I dodged that bullet!
Granted I only read the first 4 pages before people started getting mad at each other...

creepa

Arachnoknight
I would just use the pool as a big battle royal arena, just chuck in some spiders and film it.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Sure the T;s life doesn't seem important, but replace the "don't use a Duel set up" with saying "don't drive drunk" and switch the dead "Tarantula" with a "human", would you THEN be telling us to take it easy and not call him stupid?
Oddly, I had thought about the very same "don't drive drunk" analogy, but didn't use it.
That's silly. Instead of getting crazy, lets keep the talk in perspective and realize there are degrees to everything. You can't equate a Ts life to a human one. If so, in most States in America, we would be advocating the death penalty or a term in prison whenever someones T dies based on if the owners intent when it passed. We don't. In fact, we are quicker to forgive some T deaths (even when it was clear that the owner is at fault just as this one was) because we find it easier to empathize with them than other keepers. I've seen two people literary kill their Ts the same way though the same erroneous care. One gets ripped a new one and the other one a pat on the head with a these things happen message.

Yes, I respect all life. If it came down to the life of a child (or any person for that matter) I'd easily choose that over a T. Wouldn't you? We place values on everything and honestly this isn't an equivalent thing.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Oddly, I had thought about the very same "don't drive drunk" analogy, but didn't use it. I also agree that nobody thought the person was stupid, but the action was a poor decision considering that it had been strongly advised against, and given the combined experience of keepers on here, it is always frustrating to have good advice ignored.

All that said, it was probably unnecessary for this particular case to be brought up again, the OP took his lumps and it was over.
LOLOL, Somebody jumped into the deep end without their water wings. Comparing a tarantula to a human, good grief. What world do you live in? Give me all the dislikes you want. That post was RIDICULOUS! I won't even sugarcoat it like @Trenor did. JEEZUZ

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yup lumps recieved. Now i have a really good group of guys and girls from the pacnw that have taken me under their wing and i have a nice little collection of 22 t's and am doing just fine...
You moved out fast. I was going to go to the Reptile Expo yesterday to see what T's they had there, but got too busy with yard work.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You moved out fast. I was going to go to the Reptile Expo yesterday to see what T's they had there, but got too busy with yard work.
You missed a good show. Bellingham Arachnids had a great table with a huge assortment. It was a blast. Met some great people. Sold a couple people their first tarantulas and put them on the right track for a good start.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'll vouch for Aaron. Super good guy, made an error, not some end of days holocaust like mistake. I invited him to a less hostile (yes it was hostile in that short window) arena. He has thrived with great advice.
I nicknamed this thread the Jerry Springer thread with a good dose of Oprah. It's pretty much an embarrassment to this board. Sometimes people's emotions get in the way of rational thought. People get pretty bold hiding behind keyboard with their over the top criticism.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
A lot of this is merely individual opinion and perception rather then fact. Things are getting blown out of proportion.

To some an animal could hold more value then a human, that's an inescapable truth, as there are drastically different people with drastically different opinions, on both human beings and animals. There is no set answer, but IMO every single living thing should be taken into consideration, even if it isn't significant in our eyes. All living creatures operate on a simple and mostly instinctive life, they deserve basic respect. Of course if most had to choose they would take a Ts life over that of a human being, I don't know why that comparison was relevant in the first place...two different ball parks.

I'm sure we have all seen or met the type who would immediately suggest killing any arachnid or squish it instantly on sight. This is based on their own value of the creature, their disgust or even lack of respect. Does that mean spiders are worthless? Of course not... Im sure we all believe that a human life is more precious, especially that of our own kin, as we have grown attached to them and our individual perception is biased towards them, most would probably kill to protect what they love and wouldn't think twice about it, basic human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.