Spinifer Vs. Imperator

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok i was just perusing through the pics on The Scorpion Files and saw a pic of the H. spinifer. They seem very similar to the P. imperator. what are the man distinguishing features between the two. Im just wondering becuase its making me wonder as to wether my large scorp is truly an imperator or wether it is a spinifer becuase the place i bought it from is quite the dive (more of a rescue opperation). ill try to get some pics posted later.

thanks,
andrew

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Andrew-

For the most part, the easiest way to differentiate the two species is by examining the outer surface of the claws. First, those of emps are heavily granulate and more rounded than those of spinifer.
Secondly, examine the keels/ridges of the claws. Those of spinifer are raised and smooth. Those of emps are actually composed of granules that have fused to form ridges (not always present).

Luc

webracer17g

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yup just looked. i think that i have an emperor as sold. the chelae quite round so im guessing that i indeed have an emperor. thanks luc.

andrew

Skraevern

Arachnopeon
Also check the telson. If it is red, It`s an emperor. Spinifer have a black one. But they have to be adults (I think).

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Skraevern-
that is not a good way to tell. They can all have telsons of varying colors. I think the ONLY Heterometrus i've seen with a truely black telson was H. laoticus.

Skraevern

Arachnopeon
TheNothing said:
Skraevern-
that is not a good way to tell. They can all have telsons of varying colors. I think the ONLY Heterometrus i've seen with a truely black telson was H. laoticus.
Oh, Thanks for making that clearer.

Vel, Vel, you never stop learning!

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Skraevern-

Definitely not a stable character to use to differentiate the two genera. I have an adult H. spinifer and her telson is red. I also have emps with telsons ranging from charcoal grey with just a bit of red to those with noticeably red telsons.

Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All-

Actually, the most accurate character to differentiate the two genera is:

Use a 10x or 20x mag-loupe and examine the PATELLA of the pedipalps. Next, count the erect sensory setae "hairs" (trichobothria). If the number is 3-4 then it's Heterometrus. If there's 10 or more, it's Pandinus.

Luc

gustavowright

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What up Barkscorp..?
Reading this thread I ask you what is the difference between spinifer and laoticus?I recently got one of them...in my case the telson is black, indeed.But, they both shine green under the sun light?

Last edited:

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What up Gustavo!

I'm no expect on the distinguishing morphological characteristics of the genus but it is my understanding that the easiest way to differentiate H. laoticus from H. spinifer is to examine the internal aspect of the patella (the segment just before the chelae) of the pedipalps:

In H. spinifer, a distinct horn-like protuberance is present on the internal (prolateral) surface of the pedipalpal patella. In H. laoticus, there is no such projection.

Best Regards,
Luc

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
also, the vast majority of H.laoticus around should have a completely smooth prosoma, whereas H.spinifer has two patches either side of the eyes, and on the front of the prosoma.

another characteristic, is that H.spinifer are pitch pitch black, compared to H.laoticus and H.petersii which are dull, matt black, the difference is easily noticable by eye

gustavowright

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see...well, spinifer also has black telson,or might have it too?Mine seems all(ALL) black,shines greenish under intense light and really is docile.Which one gets bigger?

Thanks, to clarify me some guys...will check for other differences soon.

Cheers, Gustavo

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,
H.spinifer can have a yellow/orange/black telson
H.laoticus generally has a dark dark brown/black telson (never white/yellow/orange)

in the wild H.spinifer gets very big(15cm), and H.laoticus slightly smaller(10-12cm)

when captive bred they are usualy both 9-10 cm long

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
George-

Whew! Thanks for providing additional, expanded answers to the Het questions! LOL

Best Regards,
Luc