Spiders & pre-killed food

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
Will spiders eat pre-killed food?
I just decapitated a waterbug and I'm too lazy to vacuum it up so I plan on putting it in my breeding/spiderlings tank.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Will spiders eat pre-killed food?
I just decapitated a waterbug and I'm too lazy to vacuum it up so I plan on putting it in my breeding/spiderlings tank.
Why did you kill the water bug?

Spiders will scavenge yes.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If its wild then I wouldn't - you never can tell what they might be carrying, do you have any feeders? Best to feed them than any wild caught bugs or insects.

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
Why did you kill the water bug?

Spiders will scavenge yes.
watebugs is a huge pest to me, roaches fine, ill ignore one or two but god knows what the waterbug has, especially since my building recently sprayed rat poison

ScutigeraJine

Arachnopeon
If its wild then I wouldn't - you never can tell what they might be carrying, do you have any feeders? Best to feed them than any wild caught bugs or insects.
well the spiders themselves are wild caught, I don't own them I just assist with feeding

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
well the spiders themselves are wild caught, I don't own them I just assist with feeding
Then the decision is entirely up to you, if it were me and I really enjoyed feeding the spiders, then no I wouldn't but that's your choice pal, if you don't have feeders for them then yes anything they eat in their natural environment would be fine to feed. Enjoy!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
If your building just sprayed rat poison I personally would avoid using insects I found there. But the risk is always a maybe, and it increases the more often you do it (partly because the amount of poison in an individual insect is variable and partly because a lot of poisons, particularly fat-soluble ones, accumulate in animals over time).

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
True, I always use captive bred feeders. I do not want to put my spiders at risk.