Spiders of Illinois

Pyrelitha

Arachnobaron
I live near O'fallon IL, would anyone here know some spider species I could go out exploring to find and keep as pets? I have a wolf spider, but I'd like to catch some other species! Like jumping spiders, but I never see any around my house to capture. So if anyone has a list of species that exist, and tips for finding them out and about, that would be cool.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Southwestern IL.... hit Shawnee Nat Forest w/ a headlamp @ night. Wolf spiders, fishing spiders, occasional trapdoor, recluse, widows. Sierwald (2005) Spider Species of the Great Lakes Region is the best checklist to-date if you're seeking specific species.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You should be able to find some wolf and fishing spiders around Carlyle Reservoir, potentially widows as well. Jumping spiders will be all over the place, it's just getting out and trying to find them. I had really good luck find northern widows around Garden of the Gods. Found some in the Bell Smith Springs area too. Jackson Falls can be worthwhile if it has rained recently. Trapdoor spiders just take really careful hunting. Ferne Clyffe seems to be a good spot for Sphodros - https://bugguide.net/adv_search/bgs...dult=&immature=&male=&female=&representative=

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While it's still early, I'm working with a couple friends at the Illinois Natural History Survey and we're hoping to start working on a spiders of Illinois book. Fingers crossed our proposal gets approved and then we can move forward with it.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While it's still early, I'm working with a couple friends at the Illinois Natural History Survey and we're hoping to start working on a spiders of Illinois book. Fingers crossed our proposal gets approved and then we can move forward with it.
Imagine Spiders of Connecticut but with real photographs of dorsal, ventral, palps and epi , plus updated natural history. You would have a gym of a book that would be useful to any one east of The Rockies