Spiderling in oversized enclosure

Zeph

Arachnosquire
I just transferred my A. geniculata sling into a mini critter keeper, which is quite large for its size (>1"). I added a large cork bark hideaway and started a burrow in the cocofiber substrate. The sling is just curled up on the cork bark right now.

In my tarantula keeper's guide it explains that oversized containers can cause a sling to starve if it can't find its food. Can an oversized enclosure also cause stress? I tweezer feed my white knee, it's usually in its burrow and eats as soon as a maimed insect is added to its enclosure. I'm just concerned that too much space will lead to stress, which can cause premature death. Then again, I wanted a more interesting enclosure than its vial and it's such a fast-growing species that I assume it will grow into its container fairly quickly.

Should I move the sling back into its vial or will the mini kritter keeper be alright? I've plugged the handle holes that it could otherwise escape through, and I'll ensure that it eats. I can post pics if you need a visual.

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kritter keeper sounds a little big for a sling. Too much space does make it a little hard for it to find food. If you want something nicer than just a vial check out the container store online. They sell these clear acrylic boxes called amac. I love using those for slings, they look good and come in every size.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As long as it can't escape from the KK through the openings in the lid, it should be fine. If you put a live cricket in there, or a prekilled one in front of the sling's burrow, it won't starve to death.

Provided that it's allowed to burrow, having a lot of space won't stress it out. Otherwise, every sling in the wild would die of stress!

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
As long as it can't escape from the KK through the openings in the lid, it should be fine.
This would be my concern. I'm not a big believer in the "won't be able to find food" train do thought personally.

Walk Alone

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As long as it can't escape from the KK through the openings in the lid, it should be fine.
I agree with this.

Many recommend taking the handles off Kritter Keepers to avoid lifting them by the handles and potentially having the lid detatch accidentally, which is an extremely valid point. However, the openings left by the handles are actually larger than the air vents and that is the best escape route for a sling on a mini KK.

I like using mini KKs for larger slings. Yours should be fine. :)