Spiderfarm

Spiderbilly

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Do you know the film "Arac Atack". In the film, an old man haves a spiderfarm. Are there really such spider farms? I don´t know because I´m from Germany, but if there are thosa spiderfarms, what can you do there? Can you buy spiders, too? Or do you look the spiders?

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, there are spiderfarms and scorpionfarms~
What tarantulas and scorpions are you looking for?
I do ship my tarantulas and scorpions worldwide~

Spiderbilly

Arachnopeon
Hello,
@ Earth Tiger: I´m looking for many tarantulas. Maybe some trapdoorspiders or do you have big jumping spiders?
Do you have a spiderfarm. What is a spiderfarm?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Spiderbilly-

Just to clarify for US readers, that movie was known as "Eight Legged Freaks" here.

The "spider farm" in the movie is entirely fictional, but I think the character was raising spiders to sell. There are definately a number of people here breeding and selling enough species to legitimately call themselves "spiderfarms", so it's not that far from the truth! There are quite a few breeders in Europe as well. My wife says that the spider farm in the movie remides her of MY animal area, but I fail to see the simularity ;)

I thought it was kind of funny that the film makers felt the need to create the spider farm as a plot device to explain how the spiders got there in the first place. The movie takes place in Arizona, and as someone who has collected in AZ, I can tell you there is more than enough native spiders to fill out any arachnid horror movie, tarantulas, jumpers, trapdoors, spitting spiders....

There is a company called "Spiderpharm" (pharm as in pharmecudical) that raises spiders for the purpose of venom collection for medical research.

Wade

Spiderbilly

Arachnopeon
Hello,
oh sorry, I didn´t know, that it is called eight legged freaks.
I know those crocodilfarms, which are in Amerika and so I thought, it could be something else for spiders. Thank you.

Earth Tiger

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Spiderbilly and Wade,

I am just a breeder and own no spiderfarm. However,
I do have contacts from scorpionfarms and therefore i
can get extremely low priced scorpions (pls follow my
links in my signature to read my ad here if you are
interested. And I do ship internationally). I did have
red trapdoor spiders before but all have been sold out.

Spiderfarms or scorpionfarms are ranchers that breed
and raise spiders and scorpions extensively for wholesale.
The scorpions I sell are all "captive ranched", for example,
and that's why I can sell them at a horribly low price USD1
only! I am still negotiating with a spiderfarm and if
successful, you folks will enjoy extremely low prices for
certain species of tarantulas!

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Earth Tiger

However,
I do have contacts from scorpionfarms and therefore i
can get extremely low priced scorpions (
Really?? I'd of thought due to the extreme difficulty in breeding and raising scorpions that a "scorpionfarm"as such would be near impossible. One question, where abouts are these "scorpionfarms"?? Because I know of situations here in Oz where people falsely call themselves breeders and are nothing more then collectors, selling their inverts as "captive bred"when in reality they are all wild caught and only captive raised animals. I can't help but wonder if this would be the case here.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable about scorpions can add some info...

Thanks,
Steve