Spider webs

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I definately vote for for H Incei. Within a week of havin her she webbed up her entire deli cup.

CRX

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's why I'm starting with LP's. I heard they aren't very aggressive.
LPs can be quite aggressive =P

Last edited:

ph0bia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i really think i would like a p. murinus, if everyone didn't say they were so MEAN. I don't mind a spider in the house, even several. But I don't think i can bear the thought of one trying to digest my hand every time I open the lid. I do like the c. cyaneopubescens, and didn't realize they webbed much. What types of Avics are good?
I keep both a P.Murinus and a P.Chordata. Neither is nearly as 'mean' as people make out. True, they're not handleable, but put the food in with surgical forceps or whatever and they're fine. Never been bitten, never even gotten close.

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ph0bia
I keep both a P.Murinus and a P.Chordata. Neither is nearly as 'mean' as people make out. True, they're not handleable, but put the food in with surgical forceps or whatever and they're fine. Never been bitten, never even gotten close.
Where can i get some forceps??? i've looked around here at all the places that may have them.

CRX
Quote:
That's why I'm starting with LP's. I heard they aren't very aggressive.
I have heard that they can be too, but as far as a good beginners T, I've heard they do well. I guess it really doesn't matter, b/c I'm not going to handle at all. I just don't want one jumping out of the cage at me.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Where can i get some forceps??? i've looked around here at all the places that may have them.
I found a pair of 12" tweezers for a good price on eBay. Looks like currently they are running about $5 us.

I have seen them in many pet stores (in the reptile section) but even with shipping I think I got a better price online.

Neophyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Everyone has been making posts about the agressive T's.

Yes, a P. Murinus can be very, very mean. I've also seen some people handle them. (which I think is very stupid)

A good webber that is known to be docile would be from the Avic sp. I reccomend the Versicolor, just because it's so pretty :3

boonbear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've seen that the versicolor isn't very hardy and needs lots of ventilation. I do like the way they look, but not as much as the GBB's.

So far the GBB, h.incei, and the chilobrachys look like my favorite webbers.

Also, it looks like ebay must be the best for tweezers. I just got some, so thanks for the advice, Sterlingspider.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can usually find them in the reptile supply section of a pet store.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure you can find forceps almost anywhere online. As far as OBT's go, don't believe the ppl telling you they're aggressive. They are DEFENSIVE. Once they have a hide they're comfortable in, most individuals will run into it and hide from you when they sense your presence. The only threat display I got from my female is when I had to rehouse her, which involved removing her from the burrow.

That said, they are good starter T's because they are very easy to care for, beautiful and very inexpensive. But if you're more comfortable with something less defensive, I'd probably recommend an Avic or the GBB. Don't worry about the idea of a T flying out of the cage at your jugular...it doesn't happen. There are a few species this is sometimes a concern with: H maculata, some pokies, and certain rare individuals (which has nothing to do with the species and everything to do with that particular spider). In any case, you'll get more comfortable being around these big spiders over time and gradually lose your fear.

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
????????????

ha ha

...anyway, I vote for GBB. I own one, and its quicker than say a rosea or something, but if you're getting LP's then I'd suggest they're about the same speed, just smaller, and in my experience kick more hairs (although I can't say that I ever really felt itchy after handling her). The only reason I don't handle mine more is because its hard to chase her out of her webbing. She's got a million different tunnels and hides that she just made out of webbing, all around the tank from the floor to a few inches from the top. And, while they're nowhere near as aggressive as an OBT or something comparable to that, they do have considerable attitude towards prey.

IrishKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gg All The Way!!!

i say go with the GBB man! very beautiful,every molt is like christmas because you dont know what they will look like next,really voracious eaters and heavy webbers awsome colors when they :D