Spider Medical 101

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Need Help With ID

OK, some may remember that a while back I got an unidentified, probably southwest species, spider from a local shop that had had a bad molt for them. The skin was stuck over almost the entire top of the abdomen and it had a small rupture on the abdomen which I stopped up with a bit of tissue. The spider ate well but that stuck skin never came off and it made the poor things butt get all deformed looking as it grew. Well the fella just molted a few minutes ago. Definately male from the shed but not mature yet. Probably will be at next molt. The thing is he has some odd lumpies on his nice shiney new abdomen that seem to be scarring from the old skin being stuck there. Here's a pic of the abdomenal shed showing the nasty black scar tissues inside and a pic of him so you can all get a good ventral view. When he rights himself I'll get a good top shot and maybe we can figure out what species he is so that when he matures I can find him a mate.

Gail

Last edited:

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
OK, here's the top view. Now can someone help me figure out what this darn thing is? The petshop said that the wholesaler did not tell them it's country of origin, but that they suspect it is from the USA. The wholesaler also did not give them a scientific name, they simply called it a cinnamen velvet. The petshop said that they had also recieved this same type of spider from the wholesaler labeled as a coffee tarantula. He is skittish and acts as if he'd nip if given the opportunity. The funny lumpiness / ruffled hair look on several parts of his bum is from the problems with his previous bad molt. I think it will be completely gone with his next molt. Size is about 5" right now, maybe a little less. It is definately male as there was no sign of anything other than a slight ridge on the shed. I'd like to try to ID him so that when he matures I can send him out for breeding. So let me know what you think.

Gail

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I believe that the Cinnamon Velvet/Coffee Tarantula is known by the scientific name Crasscius lammanni. I don't think I spelled the name right by the way. Let me see what I can find out...

Scott

I believe I found it. Crassicrus lamanai. Check out this pic on Rick West's site.

http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0062.htm

Scott

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, we're probably both wrong, but C. lamanai is exactly what I thought upon first seeing it before reading Scott's answer.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
That sure does look like him. The picture of the male at Rick's site doesn't look like him though, but since he is immature I'm sure that's why. Now as long as we can get some universal agreement as to his species I will need to start looking for someone who has a female they are going to want to breed. Thanks for the help guys.

Gail:D