Spider ID please

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
IMG20190909095023.jpg guys, this spider had molted recently. the pic may not give a right perspective of it's size.. It had recently molted couple of days ago to it's current size of around 1 inch legspan. It's probably a juvie now. This had possibly wandered into my room from the wild.
I live in a place called Kochi, in Kerala which is a state in southern India.
Could you guys identify it please.

Attachments

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Probably Heteropoda Leprosa. AKA Leopard Huntsman. Just my impression, an immature male. Very photophobic. Lurks on vertical surfaces during the day, hunts the detritus at night. At 1 inch, it's still disbursing from a hatching 2-3 months earlier. Both sexes tend to wander extensively the first six months or so.
As all huntsman, the bite is harmless - mildly painful that goes away within an hour.
Something of interest. As all huntsman, they develop greater speed as they mature. Once fully mature they are incredibly fast runners.

Last edited:

NYAN

Arachnoking
Definitely a huntsman spider species.

Something of interest. As all huntsman, they develop greater speed as they mature. Once fully mature they are incredibly fast runners.
I think slings appear faster because they are smaller. Basically a lightning fast blur of legs.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I think slings appear faster because they are smaller. Basically a lightning fast blur of legs.
It's an optical illusion. When you see them out in a wide open area you get a better picture, idea of the scale of things. In our living room the youngsters come in under the front door and zip around but viewing the entire area they cover much less ground than the adults. So it's the same effort, the same amount of motion put into the legs, but the legs are much shorter.
The invasion is a major entertainment for us. We scoop up the cats and lock them on the upstairs porch then enjoy the little zorps turn the living room into their race track and exploratorium.

TarantulaArvind

Arachnopeon
Probably Heteropoda Leprosa. AKA Leopard Huntsman. Just my impression, an immature male. Very photophobic. Lurks on vertical surfaces during the day, hunts the detritus at night. At 1 inch, it's still disbursing from a hatching 2-3 months earlier. Both sexes tend to wander extensively the first six months or so.
As all huntsman, the bite is harmless - mildly painful that goes away within an hour.
Ha thank you...I wasnt sure if I had posted in the correct forum...

Ha.. Now itself they cover a great distance In the blink of an eye.. N I jus found out that the mother had laid her eggs in my room under some dirty laundry.. Can see many dead slings..although not sure how many survived.. Yet to locate the mother though . 4 -5 more of these are seen running in my living quarters ,all more or less the same size..

Last edited by a moderator: