Spider found in AZ

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just collect her like you would a Tegenaria. What I do is I collect an ant, crush it a bit so it can't run on the web (don't know about Kuk webs, but they can run on Tegenaria webs), drop it in the web, not too far from her litte hole, but not too close either, you want to be able to grab her the second she is out.
Atleast Tegenarias won't get fooled by a twig or something like that.

A KK will be fine as housing. For my Tegenaria I have peat substrate, a cork bark tube in one end, and a twig in the other end so she can make a proper web.

I wish we had Kuks in Europe... If I want one I'll have to buy one from German dealers, and they have them for sale for like 12 euros (~$25)

Good luck!

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I collect Kukulcanias by waiting until they are out on their web, then I take a small deli cup, and put the lid between the spider and the entrance to its "hole", which is the first place it will head for if it feels threatened. At the same time, I invert the cup over the spider. If the spider does not walk into the cup, I carefully slide the lid underneath it. These spiders do not have the ability to climb slick surfaces, so if the cup is deep enough, they cannot get out. I transfer to a larger container, and put in a piece of toilet paper tubing as a "den". The spider will soon begin webbing. They don't need as much space as Tegenarias since they don't make that large sheet-like web. I occasionally mist the web and I have seen these drink droplets of water, but normally, they seem to get all the moisture they need from their food.

pitbulllady

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome, thanks guys, what about the sac? Do I just put it in there with her and let her take care of it? Also the KK I have have thin slits in the top. Won't the slings be able to escape?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just put the sac in with her. If it hasn't hatched, the 'slings will stay with her for a long time, long enough for you to decide where to take them to release them. I think that sac has hatched, though, and the 'slings are already in the garage. I am willing to bet there are others of this species, of various ages, all over the garage, too, and always have been. I really don't see what the problem is; even if you're not the property owner, YOU cannot be responsible for native spiders that are extremely common indoors being in that garage, anymore than someone who rents property on the edge of the Atchafalaya Basin can be responsible for mosquitoes flying around the yard! It might be a different situation if these were dangerous, and you knew they were there and did nothing, but they're not. They're probably in the house, too. When you become aware of these particular spiders, you realize just how numerous they actually are. I never paid any attention to them before I got into spiders, unless I found one on the floor or in the sink, but now, I can locate at least 10 individuals living in this one room alone, and that is NOT counting the ones I actually keep! Most people coming in here would have no clue they were there.

pitbulllady

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have always been pretty aware of animals around me. I know of several in my house and a few outside. I have not seen another in my garage. There are plenty of the same species outside. She was also right at the opening of a crack that led to outside.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I collected her and her sac. I felt bad for her, but I am moving out in a month and my landlord will definitely kill her when he sees her. Here is another pic of her.

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They are also in attics, I do attic inspections every week and I see them in every attic I go in. I can not believe the heat they can take.

I cool thing you will see her do is rub her 4th legs together quickly to "tease" her web up as it comes out. It looks like they are playing the fiddle.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For most of yesterday she was hiding. And then last night she was in the open holding onto her eggsac.

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well she has fashioned up a little web and has attached her egg sac to it. If the sac hatches will the slings be able to climb the sides of the KK?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well she has fashioned up a little web and has attached her egg sac to it. If the sac hatches will the slings be able to climb the sides of the KK?
The 'slings will only be able to climb where she attaches webbing, since this species does not have scopulae which allow them to climb smooth surfaces, without some sort of irregularity to grab ahold of.

pitbulllady

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Babies

Well today I noticed a couple dozen slings around the egg. My guess is that they just began to hatch. They are in a KK with the mother. Will the KK keep the slings in? What should I do? Thanks.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The slings will stay with their mother for a few weeks, but after that, they will begin to disperse, or at least some will. Some, like human offspring, seem really reluctant to leave home, lol! If they can climb the sides to reach the openings, they'll leave, so you can either cover the openings(these things are not air-tight), or just place it outside in a cool place so they can disperse naturally.

pitbulllady

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I know you said they were very communal earlier. What size enclosure should they all be in and what type of lid would I use that would keep the slings in?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know you said they were very communal earlier. What size enclosure should they all be in and what type of lid would I use that would keep the slings in?
I keep mine in those tall Tupperware storage containers with the screw-on lids, the same kind I've got my Black Widows in(two of which have sacs now). They aren't airtight, so the spiders can breath, but can't get out.

pitbulllady

Athlon2k2

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I guess the next question is how do I transfer them. And how big of a container should I get to house how ever many there might be (now over 30 slings)