Spermathecae Resource Thread

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have any pics of male and female moots from Pink Salmon Bird Eater? I want to know what I am looking for. Also, I was told by Tarantula Canada that I would be able to determine sex until sling is at least 1.5 inches? Accurate?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Hooks and palpal bulbs only appear on mature males, meaning when they've had their ultimate molt. Up until then, pre-ultimate male tarantulas can look just like a juvenile/sub-adult female tarantula. Some have said that pre-ultimate males look "leggier" than females, but that isn't any sort of guarantee. Ultimately, the best way to discern pre-ultimate male from female is via exuvium.
Additionally, I have heard of a couple of species of tarantula where even the mature males do not develop the tibial hooks. I'm not sure which species these are (or how many exist), but perhaps someone else can enlighten us? :)
I have not heard of a single individual tarantula, or even any species, where the female develops anything even close to a hook. Perhaps some sort of deformity could occur rarely, but even then it would have to be on both legs which would be even more rare.
Hope this answered your question!
I'm not sure which sp. but there are MM that don't have tibial hooks, also I know not of any female T's that have hooks. I'm sure a qick google would confirm the sp. I'm referring to.

matypants

Arachnopeon
Does anyone care to take an educated guess? I'm sorry if the photo is too poor.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Recently I was looking through the boards to find photos of spermathecae for reference to help identify a species. This was no easy feat as there is so many threads of a similar topic.

I thought I would start this thread to make it easier to access photos of spermathecae all different species in the one place. I think having a thread dedicated to images of spermathecae will be beneficial to members. Hopefully they will be able to find what they need by having a quick flick through the thread.

Could members with clear images of developed or near developed spermathecae can share their images here with the species captioned to get the ball rolling.

I will post a few to start-

Monocentropus lambertoni
IMG_5973.JPG

Chaetopelma olivaceum
IMG_5972.JPG

Brachypelma schroederi
IMG_5971.JPG

Ornithoctoninae sp. 'Ho Chi Minh'
IMG_5970.JPG

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yeah, if you can get any close up images that would be awesome. To be honest, I wouldnt mind drawings as long as species depicted. But photos are the best for reference:D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Avicularia purpurea
IMG_6156.JPG

Brachypelma baumgarteni
IMG_6157.JPG

Brachypelma boehmei
IMG_6158.JPG

Caribena versicolor
IMG_6159.JPG

Dolichothele diamantinensis
IMG_6160.JPG