Sperm webs?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What are they?
Why are they made?
When are they made?
How can you tell if it's a sperm web?
Sperm webs are temporary mats of silk that mature males make in preparation for mating. They deposit sperm (which comes from an opening under the abdomen) into the sperm web and then draw the sperm up into their palpal emboli. (When they mate, they insert their emboli into the female's epigyne.) If a mature male has stopped making sperm webs, he's unlikely to father any offspring even if paired with a female.

The charging behavior is easy to spot if you catch it: the palps move up and down repeatedly against the webbing.

Sperm webs don't look like regular webbing, and usually the web is mostly destroyed after it's no longer needed. So unless you catch them in the act of charging their palps, you'll probably just see little stringy remains of the sperm webs.

Here is a photo by @boina of male creating a sperm web:

This post by @cold blood shows what the remnants of a sperm web look like compared to regular webbing.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Sperm webs are temporary mats of silk that mature males make in preparation for mating. They deposit sperm (which comes from an opening under the abdomen) into the sperm web and then draw the sperm up into their palpal emboli. (When they mate, they insert their emboli into the female's epigyne.) If a mature male has stopped making sperm webs, he's unlikely to father any offspring even if paired with a female.

The charging behavior is easy to spot if you catch it: the palps move up and down repeatedly against the webbing.

Sperm webs don't look like regular webbing, and usually the web is mostly destroyed after it's no longer needed. So unless you catch them in the act of charging their palps, you'll probably just see little stringy remains of the sperm webs.

Here is a photo by @boina of male creating a sperm web:

This post by @cold blood shows what the remnants of a sperm web look like compared to regular webbing.
Thank you. Very helpful and has cleared up some of my own misconceptions. I thought sperm webs were a secondary method of mating, where a female would go to the web and absorb the sperm or something. Ha ha.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Thank you. Very helpful and has cleared up some of my own misconceptions. I thought sperm webs were a secondary method of mating, where a female would go to the web and absorb the sperm or something. Ha ha.
Male spiders are kind of weird in that the place where the sperm is generated is far apart from the apparatus they use to deliver sperm to the female, so they need this intermediate step.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Male spiders are kind of weird in that the place where the sperm is generated is far apart from the apparatus they use to deliver sperm to the female, so they need this intermediate step.
It's like a weird "I'll save that for later." type of thing. Really fascinating.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
It's like a weird "I'll save that for later." type of thing. Really fascinating.
Males actually have special microscopic spinnerets (the epiandrous fusillae) near the ventral furrow that are used just to make their sperm webs. Sometimes you can spot the discolored patch of hairs around the fusillae when examining the tarantula ventrally, which is a way to sex an immature male when no molt is available.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
Males actually have special microscopic spinnerets (the epiandrous fusillae) near the ventral furrow that are used just to make their sperm webs. Sometimes you can spot the discolored patch of hairs around the fusillae when examining the tarantula ventrally, which is a way to sex an immature male when no molt is available.
Tfw you're more biologically complex but are smaller, can be overpowered by females and die quicker.

In all seriousness, I had no idea of these other spinners! This might be a bad word, but these spinners basically ejaculate sperm webs? Sorry if that word isn't ok.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
In all seriousness, I had no idea of these other spinners! This might be a bad word, but these spinners basically ejaculate sperm webs? Sorry if that word isn't ok.
The epiandrous fusillae (spinnerets) only spin the silk that is used to construct the sperm web. The actual sperm is produced in the testes.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
The epiandrous fusillae (spinnerets) only spin the silk that is used to construct the sperm web. The actual sperm is produced in the testes.
T's have testicles?! Wow! Okay now I'm- oh wait they're not like human ones. My guess is they're internal?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Also, why is it so risky? Why do the females kill the male sometimes?
This is an excerpt about post-coital cannibalism from p. 248 of Biology of Spiders by Rainer Foelix (internal citations omitted).

Biology of Spiders said:
The supposed aggressiveness of the female spider toward the male is largely a myth. When a female is ready for mating, there is little danger for the male. If a male courts at the wrong time, however, he may well be attacked and eaten by the female. In some clubionid species, the female allows only one copulation and reacts aggressively toward any further advances of males.

In general, most species separate quite peacefully after copulation. Only in some exceptional cases does the male fall victim to the female, such as in certain Argiope and Cyrtophora species. In Argiope bruennichi, for instance, only few males survive mating; they can only escape if a copulation lasts less than 8 seconds.

The infamous black widow (Latrodectus mactans) does have a bad reputation, but, contrary to popular belief, the male usually withdraws unharmed. In some Latrodectus species the males live for several weeks in the female's web and may even feed on her prey. In contrast, in the Australian redback spider (Latrodectus hasselti), males are often cannibalized by the female. It seems, however, that these males actually have a higher reproductive success than those males that can escape. In the related brown widow (L. geometricus) the male is also often consumed by the female. Interestingly, it is the male that initiates the cannibalism by somersaulting right in front of the females's mouth parts. It is thus an active male self-sacrifice (to enhance his reproductive success) rather than aggression on part of the female.

The small male of Araneus pallidus starts copulation by jumping toward the ventral side of the female's abdomen and fixing one palp to the epigynum. During this process he tumbles backward so that his abdomen rests right underneath the female's prosoma. The female immediately seizes his abdomen with her chelicerae and within a few minutes starts feeding on him. Apparently, this is more of a technical necessity than pure cannibalism. If the female is prevented from biting the male, he constantly slips off her abdomen and is unable to insert his palp. A very similar mating behavior has also been observed in Cyrtophora cicatrosa.

In several daddy-long-legs spiders (Pholcidae), males and females cohabit peacefully in the same aggregation of webs. Although the male is dominant, he often cedes his prey to the female. This "chivalrous" behavior probably ensures that the female will stay in the web—or, seen from an evolutionary view point, that the number of eggs a male can fertilize will be increased.

Finally, the unique behavior of the cobweb spider Tidarren cuneolatum should be mentioned here: The small male amputates one of his palps just before the final molt. The autotomy is achieved by fixing one palp to the web and then twisting it off at the femur-trochanter joint. So far there is no explanation for this self-amputation. Copulation is initiated by the female and regularly ends in consumption of the male. Interestingly, the male is not always killed by the female but often dies before she actually attacks him. In the related species Tidarren argo, the female tears off the remaining male palp just after copulation has begun. The separated palp stuck in the epigyne remains functional for several hours; during this time the female is feeding on the palpless (and hapless) male.
I think as far as tarantulas are concerned, it's probably common for the males to escape in the wild. In captivity, cannibalism may be higher (without human intervention), because the male has nowhere to run.

notanarachnophobe

Arachnosquire
This is an excerpt about post-coital cannibalism from p. 248 of Biology of Spiders by Rainer Foelix (internal citations omitted).

I think as far as tarantulas are concerned, it's probably common for the males to escape in the wild. In captivity, cannibalism may be higher (without human intervention), because the male has nowhere to run.
That's weird. I never thought about them being in an enclosure increasing death percentages because the males can't run... I should have figured that out.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire

So when people say that some Tarantula species are harder to pair than others it's not because some species are more likely to eat the male?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
So when people say that some Tarantula species are harder to pair than others it's not because some species are more likely to eat the male?
Not always, sometimes yes...there are other factors to consider, such as just being reluctant to initiate breeding, or having extremely long courtship.

After a successful pairing, you also need to provide a gravid female with the proper environmental conditions(temps, moisture levels) to lay a sac and successfully hatch her offspring.

Bob Len

Arachnosquire
Not always, sometimes yes...there are other factors to consider, such as just being reluctant to initiate breeding, or having extremely long courtship.

After a successful pairing, you also need to provide a gravid female with the proper environmental conditions(temps, moisture levels) to lay a sac and successfully hatch her offspring.
I see

Vnckenneth

Arachnopeon
When a sperm is created, should i mate him immediately ? How long will it lasts?