Species that eat a lot/often?

DesertDweller256

Arachnopeon
Hey all. Just out of curiosity, what are some species that eat a lot or eat pretty often? I know most Ts will eat if you keep feeding them, but I’m inquiring about species where it’s okay to feed them more than twice a week, or 4 or more prey items a week just as an example.

Also, does anyone know the eating habits of Aphonopelma chalcodes? I have one and it’s my only T, and I’m assuming they don’t eat very much.

Demonclaws

Arachnosquire
No. Fast growing species or slings/juvies eats more often and stays less time in premolt, that's about it. T's don't really need a lot of food. You can feed any species of T heavily after they molt, afterwards 1 or 2 a month is sufficient. Some species still shows strong feeding response and may eat even in heavy premolt. Genics and LPs are called garbage disposals on this forum.

A. chalcodes don't grow, so they don't need food;):troll:.

andy1997

Arachnopeon
Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora, Acanthoscurria, Nhandu, Theraphosa, and Phormictopus species are all good eaters and fast growers. Tropical spiders like these live in an environment where food is abundant, and thus they eat more and grow faster than species that live in deserts (such as Aphonopelma chalcodes) where food is more scarce. The amount of prey items you feed depends on the size of the prey. If you really enjoy watching your spiders feed you can always give smaller prey items more often.

Hope this helped,

Andy

ghostly

Arachnopeon
I've never had an A. genic but I've been lurking on AB for way too long and the first thing that came to mind when I read this title was: get an a. genic, they eat everything that moves, always.

Nhandu is also an option, my N. chromatus is a rampant bulldozer full of HUNGER.

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
I've heard of the bigger species going through 7 crickets a week without problems.. I dunno the feeding frequency with that but i assume its a couple at a time.

Dannica

Arachnosquire
You can feed any species four times a week, if you’re okay with a couple weeks of ravenous eating and then months and months of fasting.

If you really want to feed that frequently, get multiples and feed them on a rotating schedule.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
None, even my slings only get fed twice a week and tarantulas need to be fed less and less often as they grow so even ravenous murder tanks like Pamphobeteus/Lasiodora/Acanthoscurria/Nhandu/Theraphosa/Phormictopus spp. are only eating once a fortnight at most as adults.

Also, does anyone know the eating habits of Aphonopelma chalcodes?
As adults? Like one or two crickets a month.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Hey all. Just out of curiosity, what are some species that eat a lot or eat pretty often? I know most Ts will eat if you keep feeding them, but I’m inquiring about species where it’s okay to feed them more than twice a week, or 4 or more prey items a week just as an example.

Also, does anyone know the eating habits of Aphonopelma chalcodes? I have one and it’s my only T, and I’m assuming they don’t eat very much.
If you want to feed a lot just use small feeders instead of appropriate sized feeders for your T. IME my LP has to be the greediest I could probably feed her every day and she would take it but tbh this is pointless any T you over feed is just going to go into a fasting period

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
If you want to feed a lot just use small feeders instead of appropriate sized feeders for your T.
This. If you feed smaller prey, you can feed more often, because it'll take longer for it to get to either the point where it fasts or where its abdomen is too large to keep feeding.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
A large T with a strong feeding response like Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora, or just about any of the other large tropical new world terrestrials being fed smaller meals more often would be your best bet

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
If you really want to feed that frequently, get multiples and feed them on a rotating schedule.
Haha that's a great excuse for getting more Ts, yes I had to buy more cos small crickets come in tubs of 100!! ;)

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phormics is almost always "hungry" but feedingresponse is not a sign of hunger. It could be, but not always, it could be that they eat because in nature insects can in periods be scarse, and they eat because they dont know when they have a chance to eat next time? Thats why i think some speicies eats even when not hungry? Therefor they can get a very swollen abdomen (overfeeding) i dont know if my theory is correct though?

geniculata does have a great feedingresponse too, but the one i had was a great eater until she became adult. When she was adult she iften had fasting periods!

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My geniculata eats a ton, but does go through a month or two of premolt. My Pamphos almost never stop eating, have a very short premolt period.