Species suggestions for new T, please!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Mike H. said:
Monthly substrate change seems a bit extreme to me....

Regards, Mike :?
Nevermind, I think I know which post you are referring to now. But I took that to mean that they just picked the food bolusses out once a month? If they meant full substrate change then yeah, I agree with you!:)

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok now I want a P. cancerides AND a Haplopelma of some kind.

If I have to pay shipping anyway then........:clap:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Also I suggest an A.geniculata. Voracious eaters, can stridulate, get to good size and once they're bigger than a couple of inches always out in the open.

Stoic

Arachnopeon
What's wrong with wanting a badass spider? Anger = Character, as far as I'm concerned. It's not that I can't appreciate a docile tarantula; I certianly can and do. It's just that my OBT for example, who comes out looking for a fight when she senses my presence, is far more interesting and gets much more respect from me when I'm cleaning her enclosure.

Why do some people want to keep Leiurus Quinquestriatus or Androctonus sp.? Things that have the potential cause us bodily harm have always been fascinating to mankind.

Last edited:

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your OBT comes out looking for a fight???

Not mine. He hides in his hole. Except the one time I rearranged the enclosure because the hide was a bit too hidden and I uncovered him! Then he was crazy defensive! If you leave him alone though, he is pretty quiet. I can open the enclosure to feed and clean(with hemostats. He's quiet but I dont trust him) and he stays in his little webbed hole.

That's one pretty rosea!
She thanks you for the compliment. We've been together a long time.

Last edited:

spiDERanged

Arachnopeon
A. genic gets my vote as well. Impressive T's overall and no fear and no running to hide once they are of any relevent size. I have 6 and my larger ones tend to attack the areas i mist. If i throw several cricks in at a time they kill them all and then gather them in a pile and dance over them, hehe.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I vote for the following species:

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Avicularia braunshauseni
Heteroscodra maculata
Nhandu vulpinus
Psalmopoeus irminia

I've kept all of the above and they are very bold dispositions and stay out in the open most of the time.

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beauty Rosey, Rats! I have one that has that same color and pattern. She's in pre molt now so she's kind of dull. I would check out that Chinese Black Tiger, formerly classified as Selenocosmia Hunaina. They now call it Haplopelma sp. Or the Golden tiger, H schmidti. My black does not burrow though I have her in plenty of substrate. I won't say she's mean but has no problems giving an impressive threat display when I open her cage to feed her. She also attacks the water when I fill her dish at times. These "tigers" are awesome loking T's and have a white moustache, if you will, on the sides of their chelicerae. P. Cancerides are neat too. Mine does like to burrow though and never has shown me any form of defensivness. By the way, I'm one of those people who have an Androctonus Australis. Risky but very interesting to say the least. Enjoy!:D

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's what I want! Just a little attitude! I really think the G. rosea is the most fearless of all tarantulas. They just stand there, no matter what.

All good suggestions. I see a multiple spider shipment in my future.....:cool: