Species suggestions for new T, please!

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I want a new T. I want a very defensive, Crazy spider that doesn't live in a hole in the ground that no one ever gets to see.

So H. lividium is out.

I currently have an OBT. It comes out sometimes at night. Other than that I leave it alone and it happily lives in its hide. My rosea is more fun than the OBT.

I also am raising 4 L. parahybana slings so in 6 months I'll have those.

I don't want an arboreal yet. I'm going to get a P. regalis eventually.

So in a nutshell. I would like the most defensive, active, terrestrial T there is. The scarier the better. Dripping fangs, hissing, and crazy fast.

I'm thinking this will probably be an asian species. What do you think?

elliot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sevenrats said:
So in a nutshell. I would like the most defensive, active, terrestrial T there is. The scarier the better. Dripping fangs, hissing, and crazy fast.
Not sure if there's any T that fits that description;). OBT fits this description the best, you have one already, and you note that it's really not all that bad. most asian terrestrials will burrow. most spiders will run and hide before becoming agressive. you need an alligator.

Linda Landsman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Most defensive T's are the ones that burrow. My most defensive, my H. Minax, has only threatened (actually fipped and bared it's fangs), when moving him to a new home. Now that he has a nice burrow, he prefers to run into the burrow, than threaten. My OBT is very defensive, but you have one. My King baboon, also known to be aggressive, has never threatened because she has a comfy burrow. I think the point is, that in owning T's, the main objective, should be to have the T as close to the way it would be in the wild as possible, and stressing it out, ,as it must be in threat display, is not a healthful thing for the T. I always feel a little guilty when my OBT threats, when I am throwing in a cricket, that's not my intention. I enjoy observing them passively, often hiding to see their fascinating habits.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Linda. There really aren't any terribly aggressive T's that are out in the open...if they are able to be visible without any stress, they are generally not going to be all that aggressive, just how nature works. P. murinus is really probably your best bet.

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
P. cancerides?

I hear mixed reports about these.. mine is about 3 inches and its definitely not docile.. but i cant say its a nightmare either. Its probably the most "entertaining" spider i have.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah P. cancerides is probably it, a friend of mine describes it as an OBT on steroids, haha.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sevenrats said:
A spider that is "scary" - dripping fangs and hissing - is one that is feeling threatened. Any species, including P. murinus RCF and the like, that is housed appropriately and not bothered to death will typically rarely show those types of signs of defensiveness.

Keep in mind that a tarantula's first line of defense is to run and hide if at all possible.

Tarantulas don't just run around all the time, giving threat displays with dripping fangs, hissing, and striking at whatever moves. Doing so would indicate a "stressed out" spider.

My advice is to re-think the characteristics that you're looking for and your attitude towards them.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
A spider that is "scary" - dripping fangs and hissing - is one that is feeling threatened. Any species, including P. murinus RCF and the like, that is housed appropriately and not bothered to death will typically rarely show those types of signs of defensiveness.

Keep in mind that a tarantula's first line of defense is to run and hide if at all possible.

Tarantulas don't just run around all the time, giving threat displays with dripping fangs, hissing, and striking at whatever moves. Doing so would indicate a "stressed out" spider.

My advice is to re-think the characteristics that you're looking for and your attitude towards them.

Not to kiss your butt Becca, but I couldn't have said it better myself.

If you want to get into any aspect of the exotic animal hobby for the sheer reason of having a "vicious animal", you really need to get out of it. You're in it for the wrong reasons. Sorry to be blunt.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
OBT on steroids, LOL!

Chilobrachys? they're not terribly aggressive, but they will stand their ground if disturbed. They're also out in the open quite a bit.

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
To reply to the critics- WHERE IN MY POST DID I TYPE THE WORD "AGGRESSIVE"???????:mad: :mad: Cool your Jets!!!

As I stated I have an OBT that I leave alone and it is particularly boring. I treat all my animals they way the wish to be treated. I don't handle any of my T's except my rosea and that one only once a year or so when I change the enclosure.

I simply want an example of a terrestrial spider that stays out in the open and is defensive/territorial/bold/whatevahhhh!!! I'm not going to poke at it or do crazy things with it. :wall:

I think my L. parahybana slings will be somewhat like this.

I've heard things about Chinese Black and thought they sounded interesting.

I just asked if anyone knows of any such spiders that aren't pet holes in the ground but stand their ground.

Thanks for the P. cancerides suggestion. I'll look into that.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Sevenrats said:
To reply to the critics- WHERE IN MY POST DID I TYPE THE WORD "AGGRESSIVE"???????:mad: :mad: Cool your Jets!!!
Where did anyone say aggressive?

I think it's fairly well understood that tarantulas are defensive, not aggressive.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Pretty much implied in the above statement. And I'm done.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To reply to the critics- WHERE IN MY POST DID I TYPE THE WORD "AGGRESSIVE"??????? Cool your Jets!!!

As I stated I have an OBT that I leave alone and it is particularly boring. I treat all my animals they way the wish to be treated. I don't handle any of my T's except my rosea and that one only once a year or so when I change the enclosure.

I simply want an example of a terrestrial spider that stays out in the open and is defensive/territorial/bold/whatevahhhh!!! I'm not going to poke at it or do crazy things with it.

I think my L. parahybana slings will be somewhat like this.

I've heard things about Chinese Black and thought they sounded interesting.

I just asked if anyone knows of any such spiders that aren't pet holes in the ground but stand their ground.

Thanks for the P. cancerides suggestion. I'll look into that.
ok. first, changing substrate once every year does NOT sound healthy. roseas eat a lot (generally) and need to have their food carcasses cleaned throughly monthly.

Now my main question:

WHY would you want a MEAN, DEFENSIVE, fang-dripping, hissing tarantula?

The only tarantula fitting your somewhat odd description would be T. blondi. Mine used to Hiss, kick hairs, threat posed, never burrowed, and was meaner than a bulldog with a chainsaw! the chinese black earth tiger you mentioned-they are major burrowers, i did much research on this species though i do not, nor have i ever owned one. they burrow, they have been known to drip venom from their fangs, and are defensive. good luck finding anything else besides a blondi, and let me tell you, in my opinion, Blondis are not easy to care for, and are NOT for inexperinced keeper. when i first saw one online, i never expected to have one. but years later, somehow i did. Even with all my experience and time i hgad with tarantulas, not much could of prepared me for something like one....and now, i have that "mean, hair kicking-hissing-defensive tarantula in my house.

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
if you want a fast, crazy, scary, hissing, venom dripping animal... you should look elsewhere.. even the most aggresive tarantulas are mild mannered creatures most of the time.

maybe you should get a black mamba

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Scorp_Lver said:
ok. first, changing substrate once every year does NOT sound healthy. roseas eat a lot (generally) and need to have their food carcasses cleaned throughly monthly.
A full substrate change is stressful to the spider.

A once per year (or less) full change of substrate is fine as long as there are no major problems such as molt. Spot cleaning can be done throughout the year.

For obligate burrowers, I recommend not ever changing the substrate unless there is a problem (mold, mites, etc.) that necessitates such change.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
becca81 said:
A full substrate change is stressful to the spider.

A once per year (or less) full change of substrate is fine as long as there are no major problems such as molt. Spot cleaning can be done throughout the year.

For obligate burrowers, I recommend not ever changing the substrate unless there is a problem (mold, mites, etc.) that necessitates such change.

I agree 100 % I dont change the substrate in any of my tanks unless needed, just remove food blous and thats about it, or unless they out grow there enclosures...

Regards, Mike

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I found L. difficilis to be crazy defensive. I had four slings, one sub-adult male and one sub-adult female and they were all very defensive. As soon as the lids to the cages were opened they were instantly in a threat pose. Might be one to consider. They are terrestrial and quite visible all the time. One of the slings was given to my brother in law, and it goes into a threat pose when he just goes close to the tank.

Oh, and I'm sure that this person is capable of determining when a substrate change is in order.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Oh, and I'm sure that this person is capable of determining when a substrate change is in order.

Monthly substrate change seems a bit extreme to me....

Regards, Mike :?

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:liar: G. rosea DO NOT eat alot. Mine takes about 5 crickets a month. I've had her 10 years. I have an A. seemani on the same diet. 7 years. Currently the Rosea is voracious and the seemani is fasting. I've had the rosea go over 6 months and refuse food then eat like crazy. I pick out any junk in there when I see it. I've had these two spiders a long time. They are quite healthy. Here is picture taken 2 months ago.

Attachments

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Sevenrats said:
I don't handle any of my T's except my rosea and that one only once a year or so when I change the enclosure.
Sevenrats said once a year, not once a month.